• Register Today It's free!

Lifter Tapping

carlds62

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport 4x4
Ok, my problems (2nd gen Explorer) all started when I heard what I thought was bearing noise coming from the bottom of the engine. I thought my bearings were starting to go, which has been confirmed. My oil pressure gauge had been squirrely, for some time, which I had attributed to gauge problem, as all the gauges were suspect. I was(am) resigned to eventual engine rebuild, or swap. I thought the problem may have stemmed from poor oil circulation (i.e. oil pump). Cannot afford a rebuild or swap for a few months, so I hoped an oil pump swap would give me some operating time. I found bits of plastic(?) and shredded bearing casing in the oil pan and pickup. Pulled the pump (what a nightmare) and it seemed to be fine, but since I had a new one I replaced it anyway (more nightmare). I now have lifter tapping, as if the oil isn't getting to the top of the engine? Anyone with some experience with this? Thanks! :rolleyes:

Lifter tapping is common and more or less normal with the OHV 4.0L engines. But since your Sport has the SOHC that is something different. Has it has the timing chain recall done on it? Other than these comments I'm afraid I'm not much help. But I'm sure others will chime in.

I've gotten a couple of e-mail replies, and I greatly appreciate it. The consensus seems to be the failure of the plastic timing chain tensioners, leading to junk in the oil pickup...etc...etc. I understand there was a recall on those. I investigated and found the recall expires at 75,000 miles. Doesn't help me at all, at 130,000. So, apparently what I'm left with is either an engine rebuild, or a used engine swap. Any ideas which way to go, or the costs involved in either choice? Thanks!

I did have a thought, during last nites alcohol-induced fog. Does anyone know if you can get at the oil pump drive shaft either through, or by removing the distributor?

Back