Looking for help with my 01 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for help with my 01 explorer

Robert L Bucklew

Reaction score
City, State
Terra alta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer xlt
I just bought a 01 explorer at a auto auction a few weeks ago. My 3rd explorer iv owned in my life. It was running great. Then 8 days after i bought it i had a small fire from the manifold up to the transmission dipstick tube and lost all gears. I checked the transmission fluid after getting the fire out and it was gone. Put more in in and it runs right out. Cant see if its a rubber hose that got melted from the fire or what it can be. Any ideas? Did i ruin my transmission?

Welcome to the forum.

There should not be any rubber hoses leading from the transmission lines to the transmission. They should all be metal.

You said Fire and the transmission fluid was gone?

My guess is that the last owner dorked up a transmission line and put a rubber hose in there.

Hose melted and shot transmission fluid on the exhaust manifold which is right there.

Hot manifold and oily transmission fluid = FIRE.

I would check stuff under there completely and repair any busted lines before cranking it up again.

Welcome to the forum.

There should not be any rubber hoses leading from the transmission lines to the transmission. They should all be metal.

You said Fire and the transmission fluid was gone?

My guess is that the last owner dorked up a transmission line and put a rubber hose in there.

Hose melted and shot transmission fluid on the exhaust manifold which is right there.

Hot manifold and oily transmission fluid = FIRE.

I would check stuff under there completely and repair any busted lines before cranking it up again.
Ok thank you very much. Thats what i was thinking too but im not very mechanical lol but i will have it looked at and fixed.

Back