Looking for some front diff clarification | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for some front diff clarification

jsfordboy02

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
Looking at gear options for my '02. What other Explorers/Rangers used the Dana super 30 front diff assembly that will bolt right in? I know some of the Sport Tracs and Rangers came with factory 4.10 gears. If i can find one of those complete assemblies I can swap that in and only have worry about the rear. I know some of the gen3's came with factory 4.10 but they are really rare. It'll be much easier to find a front from a Sport Trac or Ranger with 4.10, I go to a lot of junk yards for my work so finding one of those really shouldn't be difficult.

I didn't think 3rd gens came with 4.10, only 3.55 or 3.73. I did a little research when I swapped my gears to 3.73 and if I remember correctly, some jeep cherokee front diffs are the same. The second gen explorer housing is different and the gears won't work either. I found that out the hard way. The sport trac and ranger did have 4.10, but i do not know if the gears will swap into your housing.

Housings and carriers are all different. Any gear set (ring and pinion) from a Dana 30 will work in the front you just have to use a super 30 install kit (bearings, shims etc) instead of a standard dana 30 kit. Some came with 4.10's but very rare, they are slightly more common in the the 06-10 Explorer and they use the same diffs as the 02-05.

Las carcasas y los soportes son todos diferentes. Cualquier juego de engranajes (anillo y piñón) de un Dana 30 funcionará en la parte delantera, solo tiene que usar un kit de instalación super 30 (cojinetes, cuñas, etc.) en lugar de un kit dana 30 estándar. Algunos vinieron con 4.10 pero muy raros, son un poco más comunes en el Explorador 06-10 y usan las mismas diferencias que el 02-05.
puedo instalar una kit de dana 30 tj solo necesito el kit de instalacion de super 30. para cambiara 4.10

Back