Looking to buy a 1999 Ford Explorer and I have a few questions if I may | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy a 1999 Ford Explorer and I have a few questions if I may

Cydog

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Good evening folks ,

I drove a 1999 Ford Explorer today and thinking of buying it. I really like it, but I have a few questions.

1. My wife delivers mail part time and I am wondering how easy is it to
remove the center console.

2. There is a problem with the passeger airbag.How costly is this repair
usually.

3. What is the history on the 1999 Ford Explorer? Good Transmission?
Engine ? etc.

Thanks in advance ,
Take care and have a good weekend ,whats left of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good evening folks ,

I drove a 1999 Ford Explorer today and thinking of buying it. I really like it, but I have a few questions.

1. My wife delivers mail part time and I am wondering how easy is it to
remove the center console.

2. There is a problem with the passeger airbag.How costly is this repair
usually.

3. What is the history on the 1999 Ford Explorer? Good Transmission?
Engine ? etc.

Thanks in advance ,
Take care and have a good weekend ,whats left of it.

Tranny is grate as long as you get a 5.0 V8 The 4.0's are very weak. Airbags can be spend or very cheap depending on the problem...My air bag was a weiring harness and it was $400 by Ford to fix...

Tranny is grate as long as you get a 5.0 V8 The 4.0's are very weak. Airbags can be spend or very cheap depending on the problem...My air bag was a weiring harness and it was $400 by Ford to fix...

im pretty sure the tranny in the 5.0 is the same as the 4.0

4.0's use the 5 speed, 5R55E, while the 5.0's use the 4 speed 4R70W. If maintained well, the 5R55E can last, I would look into valvebody upgrades to minimize wear and tear. I had over 126,000 trouble free miles on mine when it was totaled.

No there not the same.

The 4.0L OHV V6 4.0L SOHC V6 have either A4LD
4r44e
4r55e
As far as I know...Which is a pretty weak tranny...either of them used from 95-01

My 4r44e has 186k+ on it. I wouldn't call them pretty weak- they're mechanical and can break like anything else- but proper maintenance matters the most. Are there issues? Sure- it's a v6 pushing around a heavy truck. But, it matters how it's driven, how it's maintained, and well, luck. :D There are a ton of Ex's out there with the 4.0L and original tranny's still rolling. Problem is, you never see a post about "my tranny has no issues!" only if they blow, and how many Ex's were sold? Flush it as indicated and you can get great life out of them.

How many miles are on the truck?

Center console is easy to remove, and you can get the replacement "short" console which runs between the seats only- from eBay or the junkyard on the cheap. Here is the short console. You will need a piece of carpet or a mat to put over the hole in the carpet under your current console.

c63d_3.jpg

Passenger airbag if it is an issue with the bag itself is easily replaced. In fact, now that I have abandoned the interior swap in mine- I have a gray one I don't need if that's what you need.

As for engine, any of them are stout, aside from the cam chain tensioners in the SOHC 4.0L engine, not sure if the one you are looking at has the SOHC or the OHV 4.0L or the V8... HERE is the link for that info.

I think you'd be happy with the Ex- it's a super stout vehicle, well built, and when maintained like anything else, can provide awesome miles for a long time. I had the Ex's listed in my signature, then a 2004 Taurus, and sold that to go back to a 1995 Explorer because it was cheaper to own overall, and knew it would last.

welcome

No there not the same.

The 4.0L OHV V6 4.0L SOHC V6 have either A4LD
4r44e
4r55e
As far as I know...Which is a pretty weak tranny...either of them used from 95-01

What about european explorers? Seen one that had a A4LD the other day when i was changing out the tranny fluid. It had a 5.slow in it.

I believe mine has the 5R55E

Back