• Register Today It's free!

Low Gear Switch Re-Assignment?

danvanc

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Interceptor Utility
Hello Everyone, new member here. I have a 2016 PIU (Canadian), and noticed that the 'low gear' switch on the end of the shifter arm has been disabled by the original owner. To do this, they simply pulled the wires out of the column at the bottom of the shifter. I read in another thread that the switch acts as a momentary switch. That brings around my question.....the vehicle runs fine, and doesn't seem to care that the switch is inactive to control the transmission. (there are no codes in the DTC). Has anyone 're-purposed' that switch to act as a momentary switch for an electronic airhorn? The wire looks to be about a 24 gauge, and I believe it only handles 1A, so of course, the airhorn itself would be powered through a relay and I was thinking of having the column shift "low gear" switch trigger. Thoughts? Past Experiences?

Also, since I'm new here, I will post some photo's (in the appropriate thread), of a console that I found that fits perfectly and looks like it was meant for the vehicle. The PIU I have is black with 18" aluminum wheels and roof rack side rails (street appearance pkg?). I learned it was driven by the deputy chief of a local police service, so it doesn't seem to have seen 'severe action'. It also had a clean centre tunnel mounting oem plate. There doesn't seem that there was ever anything mounted to it. The truck did have the lights on the end of the tailgate, and in the rear cargo side windows, but the hackers who removed everything took those with them. Luckily it did not have an A-pillar spot light because up here in Canada they have begun removing them (and filling the empty hole with expanding foam) before they sell them. Back to my point, I totally stumbled upon a 'flat bottom' (easy to mount to the oem plate) console, with cupholders (front and rear), which is the exact length and width of the plate, and has a locking storage section with a 'sliding lid'. The icing on the cake is that the width of the storage section, is the exact width of most police specific consoles, so the faceplates fit right into place (and I have the storage area beneath to hide/run harnesses). It looks like I could add 2 or 3 plates, and whatever room is left open is easily covered simply sliding the locking cover forward until it contacts the filler plates. I haven't installed any filler plates yet...but will drop pics/links where I got the console. (And, it was only $60.00 Cdn. That's about $2.25 for my American friends....lol, jokes....it would be about $40 in USD)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Which engine does it have?

Peter

Hello Everyone, new member here. I have a 2016 PIU (Canadian), and noticed that the 'low gear' switch on the end of the shifter arm has been disabled by the original owner. To do this, they simply pulled the wires out of the column at the bottom of the shifter. I read in another thread that the switch acts as a momentary switch. That brings around my question.....the vehicle runs fine, and doesn't seem to care that the switch is inactive to control the transmission. (there are no codes in the DTC). Has anyone 're-purposed' that switch to act as a momentary switch for an electronic airhorn? The wire looks to be about a 24 gauge, and I believe it only handles 1A, so of course, the airhorn itself would be powered through a relay and I was thinking of having the column shift "low gear" switch trigger. Thoughts? Past Experiences?

Also, since I'm new here, I will post some photo's (in the appropriate thread), of a console that I found that fits perfectly and looks like it was meant for the vehicle. The PIU I have is black with 18" aluminum wheels and roof rack side rails (street appearance pkg?). I learned it was driven by the deputy chief of a local police service, so it doesn't seem to have seen 'severe action'. It also had a clean centre tunnel mounting oem plate. There doesn't seem that there was ever anything mounted to it. The truck did have the lights on the end of the tailgate, and in the rear cargo side windows, but the hackers who removed everything took those with them. Luckily it did not have an A-pillar spot light because up here in Canada they have begun removing them (and filling the empty hole with expanding foam) before they sell them. Back to my point, I totally stumbled upon a 'flat bottom' (easy to mount to the oem plate) console, with cupholders (front and rear), which is the exact length and width of the plate, and has a locking storage section with a 'sliding lid'. The icing on the cake is that the width of the storage section, is the exact width of most police specific consoles, so the faceplates fit right into place (and I have the storage area beneath to hide/run harnesses). It looks like I could add 2 or 3 plates, and whatever room is left open is easily covered simply sliding the locking cover forward until it contacts the filler plates. I haven't installed any filler plates yet...but will drop pics/links where I got the console. (And, it was only $60.00 Cdn. That's about $2.25 for my American friends....lol, jokes....it would be about $40 in USD)
Is that not the overdrive off button?

NO, he is correct. I looked it up in the 2016 PIU manual since I had never heard or read about it before.

Peter

NO, he is correct. I looked it up in the 2016 PIU manual since I had never heard or read about it before.

Peter
So it keeps it in first gear?

And, thank you...I've garnered a wealth of knowledge from the forum so far

Mine has 'low gear' printed on the actual button...and from the owners manual...it would downshift the transmission, one gear, per button press (within pre-programmed limits.. ie: you couldn't go down to 1st gear if you were moving at 80kph)

Mine has 'low gear' printed on the actual button...and from the owners manual...it would downshift the transmission, one gear, per button press (within pre-programmed limits.. ie: you couldn't go down to 1st gear if you were moving at 80kph)
Gotcha.

Peter
I "kinda" know my cars...I am the Director of Variable Operations (GSM) of a GM store ;)

Do you have a photo? Mine says it will just go to the lowest possible gear for the current speed

UPDATE ON THE 'LOW GEAR' SWITCH ON THE END OF THE COLUMN SHIFTER. So I noticed that inside the rubber boot at the bottom of the shift arm, the wires leading to the "LOW GEAR' switch, had been severed. I'm old school....whenever I am driving a column shift car, and I am sailing down an off ramp, it's just second nature for me to grab that shifter and drop it down a gear to slow me down. That's not an option with a PIU, because there is no "L" option. (just PRND). For a reason that I don't care about, the previous owner obviously disconnected this feature by snipping the wires. I reconnected them and nothing. Nada. Doesn't do a damn thing. I've checked Forscan to see if there is a toggle to enable the 'low gear' switch, but couldn't find anything. Basically, it's not worth my time to try and re-purpose a switch that I can't confirm even works to begin with.

However, I also made a very odd discovery. MY 2016 PUI has the standard radio with sync, and six speakers. However, the rear doors have no speaker grilles. With the radio turned up loud, I opened the left rear door and could clearly hear that there was a speaker behind the panel. So, i cut an opening with my dremel and sure enough there was the OEM speaker, covered by a solid closeout panel where the speaker grille would be on the civilian version. I cover the trim panel with some of that black 'speaker fabric'....looks great. Than, I decide to do the same to the right rear door. I cut open the panel with the dremel, in the same location as the left door.....and to my amazement, NO SPEAKER. And there is no evidence one was ever installed at the factory. I can think of no reason why. The plastic inserts that act as anchors for the speaker mount screws aren't even there. I'm about to install a new set of rear door speakers, and write this one off as an X-File.

Finally...my PIU was built with the Street Appearance Package which gives it aluminum wheels (standard 245/55/18 tires) and roof rack side rails. My vehicle is a 2016 and had 160000kms (100,000 miles) when I bought it, and trust me, those aluminum wheels had seen some curb action on more than one occasion. I was on FB Marketplace and found a set of the black steel wheels, about a mile from where I live for only $150 Canadian. (I think that is about $50 US, LOL), and they included the TPMS Sensors. I ordered up a set of new tires but wanted a bit of a taller profile so I ordered a set of 245/60/18 rubber to go on them. And before you hit that 'reply 'button...yes, I went into Forscan and reprogrammed the tire size and circumference and can confirm that speedometer is correct. Pics attached. NOTE: WHEN CHANGING FROM ALUMINUM TO STEEL WHEELS, THOSE LITTLE CHROME CENTRE CAPS REQUIRE A SPECIFIC WHEEL LUG NUT TO 'LATCH' ONTO.

Here are a few pics with the original oem aluminum wheels and then with the black steel wheels with the slightly larger tire. (sorry that the original photo was taken from a distance, but it's the only photo I could find with the 'as built' wheels. And before anyone chimes in about being a 'whacker', I live in Toronto, Canada where the film industry is huge. This vehicle is fitted out to replicate a 'black government agency SUV' and quite frequently I rent it out to movie production company's for their film project. All lighting has a master switch, activate by an actual key so that no equipment can be used unless the key is present and turned on. Enjoy

20220318_100028.jpg 20220721_205506.jpg 20220723_131901[15080].jpg

UPDATE ON THE 'LOW GEAR' SWITCH ON THE END OF THE COLUMN SHIFTER. So I noticed that inside the rubber boot at the bottom of the shift arm, the wires leading to the "LOW GEAR' switch, had been severed. I'm old school....whenever I am driving a column shift car, and I am sailing down an off ramp, it's just second nature for me to grab that shifter and drop it down a gear to slow me down. That's not an option with a PIU, because there is no "L" option. (just PRND). For a reason that I don't care about, the previous owner obviously disconnected this feature by snipping the wires. I reconnected them and nothing. Nada. Doesn't do a damn thing. I've checked Forscan to see if there is a toggle to enable the 'low gear' switch, but couldn't find anything. Basically, it's not worth my time to try and re-purpose a switch that I can't confirm even works to begin with.

However, I also made a very odd discovery. MY 2016 PUI has the standard radio with sync, and six speakers. However, the rear doors have no speaker grilles. With the radio turned up loud, I opened the left rear door and could clearly hear that there was a speaker behind the panel. So, i cut an opening with my dremel and sure enough there was the OEM speaker, covered by a solid closeout panel where the speaker grille would be on the civilian version. I cover the trim panel with some of that black 'speaker fabric'....looks great. Than, I decide to do the same to the right rear door. I cut open the panel with the dremel, in the same location as the left door.....and to my amazement, NO SPEAKER. And there is no evidence one was ever installed at the factory. I can think of no reason why. The plastic inserts that act as anchors for the speaker mount screws aren't even there. I'm about to install a new set of rear door speakers, and write this one off as an X-File.

Finally...my PIU was built with the Street Appearance Package which gives it aluminum wheels (standard 245/55/18 tires) and roof rack side rails. My vehicle is a 2016 and had 160000kms (100,000 miles) when I bought it, and trust me, those aluminum wheels had seen some curb action on more than one occasion. I was on FB Marketplace and found a set of the black steel wheels, about a mile from where I live for only $150 Canadian. (I think that is about $50 US, LOL), and they included the TPMS Sensors. I ordered up a set of new tires but wanted a bit of a taller profile so I ordered a set of 245/60/18 rubber to go on them. And before you hit that 'reply 'button...yes, I went into Forscan and reprogrammed the tire size and circumference and can confirm that speedometer is correct. Pics attached. NOTE: WHEN CHANGING FROM ALUMINUM TO STEEL WHEELS, THOSE LITTLE CHROME CENTRE CAPS REQUIRE A SPECIFIC WHEEL LUG NUT TO 'LATCH' ONTO.

Here are a few pics with the original oem aluminum wheels and then with the black steel wheels with the slightly larger tire. (sorry that the original photo was taken from a distance, but it's the only photo I could find with the 'as built' wheels. And before anyone chimes in about being a 'whacker', I live in Toronto, Canada where the film industry is huge. This vehicle is fitted out to replicate a 'black government agency SUV' and quite frequently I rent it out to movie production company's for their film project. All lighting has a master switch, activate by an actual key so that no equipment can be used unless the key is present and turned on. Enjoy

View attachment 432252 View attachment 432253 View attachment 432254
Any tips on renting out my car? I'm not that far lol

Which year Explorer did the wheels come from? Was it also a PIU? Just curious since I believe the retail Explorer went to different sensors that year.
I also discovered the need for different lugnuts for the caps years ago when I used the 18" steel wheels in place of the OEM ones for winter,

Peter

View attachment 432252 View attachment 432253 View attachment 432254
I'd love to see some interior photos to see your set up considering what you rent it out for. My sister is starting her career as a producer and jokes about borrowing my PIU for the same thing. I am putting radios in already, but considering lights with a lockout you described for her to use in her films.

Which year Explorer did the wheels come from? Was it also a PIU? Just curious since I believe the retail Explorer went to different sensors that year.
I also discovered the need for different lugnuts for the caps years ago when I used the 18" steel wheels in place of the OEM ones for winter,

Peter
The wheels are the same Ford OEM part number than that of the steel wheels on any PIU built with them. Three of the sensors won't program to the vehicle, so I just shut the TPMS system off, in Forscan to get rid of the warning light until I can deal with it. The new tires are mounted and it was a lot easier to spend 5 minutes on Forscan than ripping the tires back off the rims to check the sensors.

I'd love to see some interior photos to see your set up considering what you rent it out for. My sister is starting her career as a producer and jokes about borrowing my PIU for the same thing. I am putting radios in already, but considering lights with a lockout you described for her to use in her films.
The interior is actually pretty 'normal'. This vehicle, having been driven by the Deputy Chief of a local Police Service, never had anything bolted to it. I stumbled upon a generic console that has cupholders, centre locking bin, raised rear cupholders, and armrest....that literally bolted to the centre floor plate as if it was made to. The lights are controlled by a Feniex Mini Controller which is mounted in the same spot that the original owner removed theirs. To the headliner where it goes vertical behind the mini overhead console/sunglass holder. There is a laptop mount bolted to the front right of the floor plate. It has a steel pole that raises up about 22", and from that mounts the articulating laptop stand. I also mounted a 7mm" RAM ball to the steel pole for my cellphone holder. I'll take a few photo's when I get the chance. I don't usually leave the laptop mount arm/plate in place unless it is being used. It just gets in the way, and in the event of an air bag deployment.....I don't want the laptop plate being spun around at 145mph.

The wheels are the same Ford OEM part number than that of the steel wheels on any PIU built with them. Three of the sensors won't program to the vehicle, so I just shut the TPMS system off, in Forscan to get rid of the warning light until I can deal with it. The new tires are mounted and it was a lot easier to spend 5 minutes on Forscan than ripping the tires back off the rims to check the sensors.
I believe it was with the 2016 model year that the sensors were changed since the retail Explorers then came out with individual tire pressure readouts instead of just a low pressure warning light. Pre 2016 TPMS sensors would not work in post 2016 retail Explorers.

Peter

Back