Lower brake lights don't work

TJRaven

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Hi,

New to the forums but I've been reading for like the last week or so about my issue and have yet to find a fix so I'm making this thread. Here's my issue:

My 98 Explorer XLT doesn't have working lower brake lights. The upper one at the top of the back window works while driving but flickers when I stop and take the key out.

I read here in the forums that a faulty multifunction switch may be to blame so I replaced that. No dice. Still have no lower brake lights and the upper one still flickers. I replaced the bulbs in the lower ones, they don't work, but my turn signals do, tail lights and reverse lights work fine.

Tried pulling the brake pedal up to see if that would fix the flickering. Nope.

I've read some stuff on it possibly being the stop light switch but I'm not sure that would be the case since my upper brake light is working. I'm beating my head against the wall here and really hope someone can point me in the right direction on how to fix this issue.

Oh, I also checked pretty much all of the fuses and they seem to be fine but if anyone knows specifically which fuses I should be checking that'd be awesome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a trailer harness ? Sometimes the splicing people do to install them can cause problems. Other than that I have a manual for a 99 That should be close. I'll check & see if I can't dig up anything .

Are you having problems with your Keyless entry system ? I see the RAP module is tied in to the brake light system too. The third brake light is on the same line as the brake light & it junctions off. so every thing upfront should be ok. the Rap is added after that junction.
maybe that flickering is feedback from the RAPs ?

I do have a trailer harness but I've never used it, and the keyless entry seems to work fine.

It's odd since my turn signals work in the back, my tail lights work, reverse lights work, but those brake lights don't want to work, and that third one flickers endlessly when they key is out of the ignition.

I'd Check that harness & the ground wires . I see that the 3rd brake light has it's own grd. So a bad grd. at the lower lights can cause problems. LEDs need at least 9 volts to work so i'm betting your problem is towards the rear after that junction to the lower lights.

joej

Have an 03 explorer. Exact prob you have. I have only begun but have covered all the groung you have. When I find a fix I will post it. Please do the ssame b4 I go nuts. tnx...joej.(My first time to use the forum. So far,it seems to be very good. Thanks guys--and ladies.

Back