Re-Painting Mountaineer - Opinions/Help wanted | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Re-Painting Mountaineer - Opinions/Help wanted

Hi All,

I've started the tear down, what seems to be a long and tiresome process, I've decided to repaint my mountaineer. It has a few spots here and there that need some bodywork/respray so I'm going to go ahead and respray the entire truck as opposed to fixing/blending about 10 different spots.

Currently the truck is two tone, the upper 90% is white, the lower 10% is grey. This is my first time re-spraying and entire vehicle so bare with me. I was thinking about spraying the whole truck over the OEM color white but I'm thinking this is going to be difficult telling when I've covered over the old white.

My Question is, I plan on wet sanding the car down with 600 or use those new scotch brite pads and then respray a different color. For those of you that are in the paint department, what color do you recommend that I use without re-primering the entire truck and also a color thats going to cover this white/grey color scheme. I guess my question is what color is going to cover without hassle. I'm going to be using the obvious 2 stage base coat/clear coat.

Thanks! :)

I think that you should remove the old paint and reprime. I did mine last year with the help of my brother in law (professional bodyman). I wrote up a thread called "old explorer gets new paint" do a search you can find it. There is a lot of useful info that can help you.

Back