• Register Today It's free!

Lowering Blocks

gish

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona Fla.
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4.0 SOHC
Hello all! Been reading the forum for about a week now and decided to join. I have a 99 Explorer that has been a highway vehicle all of its life ( and will probably stay off road) . The mileage is well over 100k and has been pretty much flawless. I am going to start making some body mods to it (mid life chrisis I guess) I want to start with lowering it 1". I think the EE kit is very expensive right now and have been eyeing those kits in pep boys. Summit also offers a universal kit for a great price. Problem is , the kits appear to have u bolts with 3 inch spacing. I seem to be measuring about 3-3/8 inch for my axle diameter. Can anyone help here with this U bolt sizing or tell me which kit will work? I found the camber washers at NAPA for $20 per side.
Thanks to all. :banghead:

Welcome!

Yes, the EE kit is very overpriced. Find yourself them 1" universal blocks at Pep Boys/Autozone, what most of us run anyways. I have a 3" drop in the back, and the spacing between the sides of the U-bolt was really tight, we squeezed the crap out of and got it in the lower shock mount and bolted it in. It's workable, just might need some extra elbow grease.

If you want steel blocks & U-bolts (read: Pep Boys & Autozone = Aluminum), give DJM suspension a call at 18002DROPIT, blocks run around $80/90, not sure on the U-bolts, but you could check out www.djmsuspension.com - I got all my custom shocks made there.

I lost the box to my kit.. so I really can't say which one I got. Camber adjusters can be purchased at NAPA, do that instead, make sure you get 2 degree ones just in case you decide to lower later on, save yourself the heartache of putting new ones in. :p

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the response. I think you solved the problem!

Back