Lowering the Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

The front required the strut removal only, fairly simple. The rear was a little more involved but not bad. It has the shock and spring separate so I had to remove the lower shock bolt, the bolt that connects the lower arm to the hub and also detach the sway bar. Make sure you have a second jack under the arm as you remove the bolt that connects it to the hub. Once the bolt is out you lower the jack. Even then I still had to compress the spring while it was in place (which is a tight space) and I had to push down on the lower arm as it seems to be spring loaded, I guess to keep the spring in place. Finally I could pull the spring out and then reverse the process. The sway bar had to be disconnected because it runs under the arm and gets in the way otherwise. I didn't take it out, just unbolted one bolt on each side of the car so I could swing it down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So which part number do I need to order? I love the look and I have to do it now..haha

i wonder how it will look like on my 20's

Thanks for the info. I will be looking into doing this to my Sport once it gets delivered. Hopefully springs are a match.

Bodybump, mine are 20's currently so that should give you an idea.

I hope you are planning to get a 4 wheel alignment when you get your 22's.

I installed the Flex H&R springs last week on my 2013 Limited and I believe it looks perfect. I'll upload a pic when I get a minute. They fit perfect.

Absolutely. I'll probably do it before I get them in case they can't fit their equipment on 22's.

When I first read this I'm like WHOA.... to eadch his own, but WHY !?!?!

Seeing the stance on bstoll's , it looks like it will HANDLE - good job !

(not so affected by the LARGE wheels though - like the stock sport wheels too much :))

great ride though - both ARE the correct color :)

I think it will be listing to 'stern' when towing a max load.

What I really like about it is that it levels it out. Can't stand the rake the explorer has.

The front required the strut removal only, fairly simple. The rear was a little more involved but not bad. It has the shock and spring separate so I had to remove the lower shock bolt, the bolt that connects the lower arm to the hub and also detach the sway bar. Make sure you have a second jack under the arm as you remove the bolt that connects it to the hub. Once the bolt is out you lower the jack. Even then I still had to compress the spring while it was in place (which is a tight space) and I had to push down on the lower arm as it seems to be spring loaded, I guess to keep the spring in place. Finally I could pull the spring out and then reverse the process. The sway bar had to be disconnected because it runs under the arm and gets in the way otherwise. I didn't take it out, just unbolted one bolt on each side of the car so I could swing it down.

Just curious, did you get a re-alignment and re-balance? How is the camber?

Haven't had a realignment yet but it doesn't pull. Camber looks OK but obviously would need a pro to look at it although I don't think there is any adjustment for it. Balance wouldn't be needed, nothing changed with the wheels/tires.

Hi, I am thinking of doing the same. How does it ride? stiffer? rough? how much comfort have you lost?

Thanks
Vince

Maybe slightly stiffer than stock but barely. The ride if still comfy. Unless you were really trying to feel the differences you probably wouldn't notice. t does stay more level in turns probably due to the lower CG.

Hey Bstollmaier, did you install your 22's yet? Im loving the look of your ex.

Thinking of ordering the springs. I think that with 22's the truck will look perfect.

+1
I'm installing the springs tomorrow + deezee board. Would like to imagine if 22" is too large or not.

46and2, Ill be waiting to see some pics...

The 22's were supposed to ship Friday but I have not received tracking. I feel like a kid on Christmas. Meanwhile I have painted the 2 chrome strips on the grille black.

This is what was done today

3CCF-4EAF-BACA-55E7AAA09DB2-19366-00000AFD19F47F83.jpg

767C-472B-8E5B-4F98E0E52196-19366-00000AFD1DE57EE6.jpg

E25D-4543-B943-49DBA273C372-19366-00000AFD22639538.jpg

Sorry for bad pictures and dirty ex.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good, the disease is spreading haha.

Back