Lowering the Explorer | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

Should these springs fit on the 13 sport as well?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the eibach kit isn't as low as the H&R? Any idea how much of a difference? I think I may prefer one that isn't quite as slammed.

the eibach kit isn't as low as the H&R? Any idea how much of a difference? I think I may prefer one that isn't quite as slammed.

Here is the info I found on a Ford Flex forum

Eibach 1.0" front and 1.2" rear

H&R 1.2" front and 1.9" rear.

The only thing is I'm not sure if the truck will be levelled with this kind of drop.

I would assume that those specs wouldn't be exact on an Explorer though right? I mean you figure the weight difference, Flex at about 5970 lbs. and the Ex sport at about 4920, that's quite a big difference.

Here is the info I found on a Ford Flex forum

Eibach 1.0" front and 1.2" rear

H&R 1.2" front and 1.9" rear.

The only thing is I'm not sure if the truck will be levelled with this kind of drop.

Thanks for the info. I actually wouldn't mind a little rake, especially then when it's loaded up, typically that cargo weight is focused on the rear and it wouldn't have the squatting azz look. And it won't have as bad of a negative camber on the rear. Still haven't gotten much confirmation on aligning the rear and correcting the camber.

I would assume that those specs wouldn't be exact on an Explorer though right? I mean you figure the weight difference, Flex at about 5970 lbs. and the Ex sport at about 4920, that's quite a big difference.

The flex is really about a thousand pounds more? Is that for equivalent models? A limited flex with the 3.5 EB and an Explorer sport with the 3.5 EB? They're both 7 seaters, and both seem to be about the same footprint of a vehicle, I can't imagine how it can be that much of a difference. My supercrew Raptor with an iron block 6.2 and 35" tires only weighed 5,980 at shipping weight.

Well that was according to Edmunds at least. I questioned it as well.

Not sure if any of you have tried recently to get the Eibach Springs but they are discontinued and no longer available from Eibach (I called them today). Anyone find a place who might still have them?

Wow that sucks, was really hoping to get those.

What about the coiliver from Megan, would anybody be interested in a group but if I can make it happen?

damn that sucks, with the eibachs supposedly not dropping it as drastically, those were the ones I had hoped to get.

Help with lowering our Sports

I'm interested in lowering my Sport.

1. Anyone have before and after pics?

2. If you have lowered, what springs did you use? part number?

3. Is it a DIY project if you have a car lift?

4. Are there any changes in other vehicle components that have to be addressed?

5. Does it require a realignment?

6. What actual benefits can we expect other than looks?

7. Can anyone else add additional questions to probe before jumping into this project?

Thanks

H&R Lowering Springs Flex vs Explorer?

It looks like H&R finally has an Explorer specific Sport spring kit. The part # is diffrent than the Flex Sport Spring kit.

Explorer - #51630 - Front 1.6" - Rear 2.3"
Flex - #51635 - Front 1.2" - Rear 1.9"

I currently have a set of the Flex springs waiting to be installed. Do you guys think i should go ahead with the Flex springs?

That seems like a pretty agresive drop to me. Looking at how the Flex springs drop the Rx I find it low enough. I'm not to technical so can't really say more about it but their must be a reason.

Sure that's not much help but that's just my taught, no need to go so so low.

I saw that too. I've emailed LMS asking about them and what they used to lower their Sport. The response back was that they're still evaluating and will make something available once they're done testing. I too was surprised by the extra drop in the Explorer-specific springs, agree that the Flex springs are probably enough of a drop, but I'll wait and see what LMS recommends.

What's the weight difference between the two vehicles?

Will the Flex Springs support the weight of the Explorer?

I'd really like to see some install pics. The flex springs look a tad too low to me. I want to close the wheel gap not slam the suspension. I can't imagine what the explorer ones would look like if they truly are lower, or if it's just flex springs used in the explorer application and more weight gets more of a drop.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorer is already higher than the Flex to begin with so I wouldn't worry so much about the drop. I don't think the Flex springs looked "slammed" of course I'm coming from an STI on coils.

Back