Lowering the Explorer | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

Harley#356. I have the flex springs on mine and it was 30 5/80 inches from fender to ground when I had the stock 20in rims on it

can you measure from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender arch? If you measure to the ground everything from tire size, tread wear, tire pressure, etc. affect the measurement. Center of the wheel to the fender it doesn't matter if you have 15" rims or 23" rims, flat tires or mudder tires, the measurement won't change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can you measure from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender arch? If you measure to the ground everything from tire size, tread wear, tire pressure, etc. affect the measurement. Center of the wheel to the fender it doesn't matter if you have 15" rims or 23" rims, flat tires or mudder tires, the measurement won't change.

16 5/8. Sorry I took a little long. Just got out of work.

hmmm.. same drop... so im betting the flex and explorer springs are the same product

hmmm.. same drop... so im betting the flex and explorer springs are the same product

Definitely interesting! I was hoping one wouldn't lower as much as the other because IMO it's a tad too low, I'd like something between stock and slammed H&R. Hopefully a couple other people can chime in as well so we can have a decent sample size.

Definitely interesting! I was hoping one wouldn't lower as much as the other because IMO it's a tad too low, I'd like something between stock and slammed H&R. Hopefully a couple other people can chime in as well so we can have a decent sample size.

Harley#356.... There is a member that put H&R flex springs on his and it measured the same as mine from ground to fender with stock 20's. I think the thread's name was "Sardinia 22" or "spacers on" or something like that.

obviously everyone's idea of slammed is different . I think this drop is a perfect drop in which it lowers and levels the vehicle , but still leaves a small gap between the fender and top of the tire . I know it's just my opinion but I have never seen the point of lowering a vehicle , like the Ex or a truck , only an inch or less :)

iagree.gif

obviously everyone's idea of slammed is different . I think this drop is a perfect drop in which it lowers and levels the vehicle , but still leaves a small gap between the fender and top of the tire . I know it's just my opinion but I have never seen the point of lowering a vehicle , like the Ex or a truck , only an inch or less :)

Ask your wife, an inch or even a half inch can make a BIG difference :D And sometimes that extra inch further can cause early bottoming out which isn't a comfortable ride.....

...we're still talking suspension....I just figure your wife would be more picky about the ride quality LOL

What's the height with stock springs? I measured this when first bought the truck but forgot.

sheknowsyou.jpg
iagree.gif
:D

Ask your wife, an inch or even a half inch can make a BIG difference :D And sometimes that extra inch further can cause early bottoming out which isn't a comfortable ride.....

...we're still talking suspension....I just figure your wife would be more picky about the ride quality LOL

For anyone not eager to do a drop RIGHT MEOW Meagan Coilover is suppose to be working on a drop set for the esport. The kit has over 30 adjustable positions to choose from to help with firmness/softness and you can raise or lower it as much as the kit allows. It's not a stuck at one height system.
I don't know how long before it's ready but i'm not in a rush so i don't mind waiting for it to come out.

LOL...I almost spit out my water when I read this . I understand what you are saying but I have yet to bottom out the suspension on anything and the roads here in El Paso are less than perfect . I would think it would require a huge dip or drop to bottom it out . I guess people could just wait for the coilovers if that's what they want and are waiting to wait for :thumbsup:

Hey guys...

Sorry for the delay however work has been crazy and I didn't get a chance to lower my Sport until Friday of last week. I had it down with an oil change over to Royal Purple. Drop is perfect with the Explorer Springs. I will post pics and measurements this evening however, please note that the vehicle is dirty as the weather has been just awful.

Any updates on the pictures with SilverStallion's lowering? Just an FYI, I placed an order for the H&R Springs via Tire Rack and they used to show an available date of today - 2/14, but they are now on back order.

OMG I love it !!! Congrats !!

What's the bolt pattern for the wheel spacers?

Hey guys...

Sorry for the delay however work has been crazy and I didn't get a chance to lower my Sport until Friday of last week. I had it down with an oil change over to Royal Purple. Drop is perfect with the Explorer Springs. I will post pics and measurements this evening however, please note that the vehicle is dirty as the weather has been just awful.

Any pics? i would like to see a good picture of the springs installed, i dont want to go to low. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

still no pics of a sport on the said explorer h&r springs?how low is the drop though?any problems hitting the front lower lip on big speed bumps on those who are lowered with h&r flex?how many inches are the ground clearance to the front lower lip?any fix to the alignment also?

Back