• Register Today It's free!

lsd..aussie locker

KYLE2289

Reaction score
City, State
MARTINSVILLE INDIANA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 FORD EXPLORER XLT
ok guys i just ordered all new 4.88 gears for the front and rear to do over the next month and am wanting to order a locker for the rear. i have 3.73 lsd right now and on the Aussie web site they say it only works with open diffs. so don't i just take the lsd out and it becomes an open diff and install the locker or am i missing something.

Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorin'VA

Reaction score
City, State
P-twn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 xlt
I'm no expert but from what I understand you'll need to install an open carrier for that locker. Or you can find a locker made for limited slip diffs, like the powertrax no slip.

Albino 94LTD

Recovering from Moab 2016
Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
White 94 Limited
Callsign
KG7PKQ
You'll need to install an open carrier for that locker. Or you can find a locker made for limited slip diffs, like the powertrax no slip.

^^This is correct ^^

jmdirk

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93
Correct. The carrier for the LSD is different than the carrier for an Open diff. The Aussie won't fit in the LSD carrier.

Powertrax would probably be a better option cost wise since if you change the carrier you have to setup the gears again. Most of those lunch box lockers all work in a similar fashion. And they have to be setup properly or they can cause a fair bit of headaches - ask me how I know :)

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
Correct. The carrier for the LSD is different than the carrier for an Open diff. The Aussie won't fit in the LSD carrier.

Powertrax would probably be a better option cost wise since if you change the carrier you have to setup the gears again. Most of those lunch box lockers all work in a similar fashion. And they have to be setup properly or they can cause a fair bit of headaches - ask me how I know :)

Hes doing gears also..open carriers can be found easily under $50 hell i might have one layn around..but yea powertrax is a good locker also..

Me personally id look in junk yard for a 95+ rear end thats open and swap that in..gain rear disc breaks and get a spare set of axles,always nice to have....i love my aussie and have yet to see anyone break one..