M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 58 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I like that 400 pump, but I don't think it's needed if the lines were big enough, plus adequate current. That size could support 600hp most likely, and I think the 255 is adequate for 400hp or so.

I'm sure your tuner was asking you to run another power wire to be sure the pump gets enough current. He is right, you want a single power wire running from the battery source point(PDB etc), to the pump relay, and to the pump. As the pump size goes up, the wiring has to carry more current.

You can use more wires also, a second power wire(path)running parallel to the first. I'll run two wires that can each support one 255 pump. Make sure the ground wires(path) are upgraded too.

I like that 400 pump, but I don't think it's needed if the lines were big enough, plus adequate current. That size could support 600hp most likely, and I think the 255 is adequate for 400hp or so.

I'm sure your tuner was asking you to run another power wire to be sure the pump gets enough current. He is right, you want a single power wire running from the battery source point(PDB etc), to the pump relay, and to the pump. As the pump size goes up, the wiring has to carry more current.

You can use more wires also, a second power wire(path)running parallel to the first. I'll run two wires that can each support one 255 pump. Make sure the ground wires(path) are upgraded too.
-6an should support 500-600hp..
A 255lph pump on ethanol is in the 280-320hp range

The 340lph i took out ""might"" have done it but would be maxed out,that is if its getting enough current..

We are not 100% sure on the current or voltage situation so that might be why the 310lph pump wasnt keeping up on e85...with proper voltage and on e50 im sure it probably wouldve been fine..

I do know the 310lph pump with current wiring on e50 at 12lbs was fine..i ran that for about 3 years..only when i increased boost and went to e85 has it become a problem. .

But yes the wiring is getting upgraded and that 415lph pump is getting installed..

I'll bow out to who's telling you pump potentials, and line sizes. I've read much different power limits for a 255 pump and 6AN line. Peace, make it work.

Don, as JD stated, its the e85. I think what you are saying is correct for gas with little to no ethanol.
e85 looks like its fantastic, but it does take quite a bit more of it to get the same energy.

As JD is teaching us, there are some down sides to e85 that you need to set your self up for stuff like high flow fuel pump, bigger injectors, and a fuel system that won't corrode, melt. I just keep learning.

Obviously a bigger feed pipe like AN8 wouldn't hurt anything but the wallet. lol.

Don, as JD stated, its the e85. I think what you are saying is correct for gas with little to no ethanol.
e85 looks like its fantastic, but it does take quite a bit more of it to get the same energy.

As JD is teaching us, there are some down sides to e85 that you need to set your self up for stuff like high flow fuel pump, bigger injectors, and a fuel system that won't corrode, melt. I just keep learning.

Obviously a bigger feed pipe like AN8 wouldn't hurt anything but the wallet. lol.
If the pump and wiring dont work then it leaves nothing but the line..

Yes -8an wouldnt hurt anything but the outlet of the pump is only 3/8"..the line in the sender that the pump attaches to is only 3/8" and the hole going into my fuel rail is probably smaller than 3/8"..the hole in the rail that the feed line attaches to maybe my main restriction..this definitely will have to be addressed if going to bigger line...

But to change my feed line to -8an would mean 6 new fittings, new filter and new line..AND the supercharger has to come off to remove the line that attaches to the rail..not a easy or cheap job at..

Pump and wiring i can have done in about a hour for about $250...

Im definitely going to take the easier cheaper route for now..I've seen and been told -6an should support my goals but pump and voltage has always been questionable

Estimated BSFC for superchared engines:
Gasoline – .60 to .65
E85 – .84 to .91
Thats why I've gone back to E50 to lower that number..

E50 has supported over 700rwhp,its about equivalent to 100 octane but has the added benefit of ethanol. .octane isnt linear so it doesnt really begine to drastically drop off till lower than E50..

Only reason i went to e85 is because i was concerned about IAC temps but the new intercooler i built is working pretty good so i dont need the added benefits of the raw amount of extra fuel that e85 has over e50..which is about the only benefit other than a couple points of octane

I see I didn't account enough for the E85 or E50 fuel. I was thinking it'd take maybe 20% more fuel/pump, but it looks like that may be nearing 50% depending on which fuel. So the power rating comes down similarly.

I hope that bigger pump does it, because I know the lines would be a pain to do again, plus the costs.

I'll bow out to who's telling you pump potentials, and line sizes. I've read much different power limits for a 255 pump and 6AN line. Peace, make it work.
Keep in mind this is on ethanol and on boosted apps...you need to look at the flow rates at about 70-80psi plus...pressure regulator is a 1:1 so if base is 60 psi and your pushing 15lbs of boost your fuel pressure should be about 90psi......a typical 255lph pump on e85 at 80psi @13v is flowing much lower..a -6an line is gonna flow whatever its going to flow no matter whats flowing through it..

Here is a graph of a 255 pump,notice the flow at about 80psi..your down to 171Lph on e85 wont support 400+ hp
TRE340Flow.jpg

You would need approximately 35% more fuel when using E85 over pump gas. You could need up to 20% more volume (based on fuel pressure) if your using E50 to feed the same hp than if you were using gasoline.

The Ford Racing catalog has a good write up on BSFC.

The quality of the fuel can also cause tuning nightmares. You may want to purchase something like this to make sure your getting what your tuning for. Consistent fuel quality is hard to come by these days and even vary based on the time of year.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-36-e85

::Fixed Typo::

You would need approximately 35% more fuel when using E85 over pump gas. You could need up to 80% more volume (based on fuel pressure) if your using E50 to feed the same hp than if you were using gasoline.

The Ford Racing catalog has a good write up on BSFC.

The quality of the fuel can also cause tuning nightmares. You may want to purchase something like this to make sure your getting what your tuning for. Consistent fuel quality is hard to come by these days and even vary based on the time of year.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-36-e85
Thats what i use to mix to e50 and i think we are at about 18-20% more fuel on e50 than my 93tune

Ah! Okay.

FYI, your build is way out of my league and I'm just going off what I've read from others on the net. All I can really add (which you already knew) is you need more volume when using ethanol and fuel quality becomes a big issue when dealing with high boost.

When you get this figured out, you will be crowned King of the Four Liters for sure! (If 4pointslow lets you) lol :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's a good graph and for E85 taking so much more flow it needs more pump for sure.

I do wonder about the boost/psi rise though, isn't that 1:1, so 15psi boost plus the base 60psi, is 75psi? I think you're smart to use that higher pressure with the ethanol and plenty of boost.

I haven't decided if I want to run the base at 40psi or 60psi, with the return system. I figured I'd let the tuner make me lean to one versus the other.

Yeah, that's a good graph and for E85 taking so much more flow it needs more pump for sure.

I do wonder about the boost/psi rise though, isn't that 1:1, so 15psi boost plus the base 60psi, is 75psi? I think you're smart to use that higher pressure with the ethanol and plenty of boost.

I haven't decided if I want to run the base at 40psi or 60psi, with the return system. I figured I'd let the tuner make me lean to one versus the other.
I actually set my ""base pressure"" of 60psi with the truck running so i gain psi with each drop in vacuum so im at about 77ish before boost comes in and running 18lbs boost..with a better pump i could probably turn that base down to 40ish but ideally you want about 70-80psi under full boost or thats where my tuner suggest

But i finally caught a break..we have been looking for a new house and we finally got approved yesterday! !!

Guess who FINALLY got his own garage and a big ass barn/shed/workshop...this im super excited about,i can finally get all my crap outa storage and outa my old mans garage. .
ISy7gp33983nzh0000000000.jpg
ISmquf4csdrvbi0000000000.jpg

That looks awesome!!!
You buying it?
Now you can work on your trucks in the warm comfort of your garage.
Congratulations!

That looks awesome!!!
You buying it?
Now you can work on your trucks in the warm comfort of your garage.
Congratulations!
Still renting for now..gota get the trucks done before thinking about buying a place

The good thing about renting is if the neighbors complain about you being too loud, you can move away from them!

The good thing about renting is if the neighbors complain about you being too loud, you can move away from them!
Fortunately we are in a zone that has no noise ordinance. So they can complain all they want..lol

Back