M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 62 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Of all the people to be the voice of reasoning. .....only reason i call you a friend is because you do just as stupid stuff as me.. figured you tell me to duct tape it and send it!!! Haha

nooooooo!! i do stupider! why the hell would i tell you to duct tape it and send it????? you know how expensive duct tape is? never ever use duct tape when bubble gum will do!

......ever....

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well it still aint running right..starts up fine,runs perfect a/f for about a min or so then goes straight lean.....

Ive got the flu and this ***** REAL old!!

Im just wondering how long has it been leaking before it totally blew out..wondering if it was tuned with a slight leak..

Only other thing thats different is the new O2s,unless they are bad. .i unplugged the coolant temp to try and force it into ooen loop but it didnt help any,still ran lean with a CEL on

If you could only log the o2's you would know. fyl. lol.
Iv'e heard FML, but never FYL before.

Yea, it gets old.

I wish we were all closer together to be a support group and try to help where we can.

Well after replacing EVERY sensor AGAIN i think i found the issue. ........

I had my O2 banks backwards. .apparently there is spose to be one grey and one white connector, dictating which bank the O2 controls...both of mine are white..this truck had 2 O2 both pre-cat and one per y-pipe originally...

So basically one bank was needing fuel but the O2 was adding it to wrong set of injectors which mad the other O2 read even richer which in turn was taking fuel away from the original bank needing fuel causing it to be even more lean..or something like that..seems to have ran fine for last 45 minutes in the garage. .its pouring rain here so im gonna wait till tomorrow to test drive it,plus im a couple drinks deep!!!

Say a prayer that was the issue! !

.seems to have ran fine for last 45 minutes in the garage. .its pouring rain here so im gonna wait till tomorrow to test drive it,plus im a couple drinks deep!!!

Say a prayer that was the issue! !

Your doing it all wrong, you need to reverse that order.

1.Say a prayer
2.Have a couple more drinks
3.Go reenact Tokyo Drift in the rain for 45 minutes.

As a friend, I'm saying, you only live once.

That's a fairly common mistake but difficult to find with OBD-I. For OBD-II vehicles that are cross wired one bank will have a lean code and the other bank a rich code. My advice to find the problem easily is to disconnect one sensor and see if the O2 heater fault bank matches the one disconnected. I'm glad you found the problem!

Traction seems to be an issue. lol.
Smart man to just relax and have another celebration drink.

In our younger years we probably wouldn't have exercised good judgement.

Your doing it all wrong, you need to reverse that order.

1.Say a prayer
2.Have a couple more drinks
3.Go reenact Tokyo Drift in the rain for 45 minutes.

As a friend, I'm saying, you only live once.
Haha my girl came out to garage(given its a detached and had main door cracked about a foot and windows open) to see me sitn on a stool,smoking cigarettes and drinking a mixed drink with the truck running...

See goes """awwww **** you've given up and committing suicide aren't you???"""hahah i said YEEEPPPPP and told her to leave me be!!!

That's a fairly common mistake but difficult to find with OBD-I. For OBD-II vehicles that are cross wired one bank will have a lean code and the other bank a rich code. My advice to find the problem easily is to disconnect one sensor and see if the O2 heater fault bank matches the one disconnected. I'm glad you found the problem!
Kinda the way i found out,i unplugged each one at a time and it made it rich or lean...then pulled plugs and could tell that side was not rich or lean..3 sets of plugs,4 O2s,1 coolant sensor, 1 tps and 1 crank sensor i decided to swap banks to see if it effected the opposite bank and sure as hell it did..

O also unplugging the O2 does not throw a cel,it may throw a non cel code but other than a paper clip method i dont have a way of seeing them

Good, great to hear. Sorry it was a lot of stress, stuff happens no matter what.

Some drinks are good, but do it at home, you also only die once.:chug:o_O

Well it appears to be fixed,been running last couple days with no issues. .going to give it awile and try to head back to dyno for final tune

Well didnt take long......

Blew 2nd gear to pieces tonight ...was in 2nd then went WOT,once boost came in it began to spin and hope...then POWWWW!!! Sounded like a bomb went off..definitely the loudest one ive heard,we thought for sure it came through the floor...drove 3 miles in 3rd home and sounded like rocks bouncing around in the case..

Its getting parked till i fix the aviator

Sorry about that, take it easy and see what it is later.

Sorry about that, take it easy and see what it is later.
Its destroyed now for sure..ive been talking to Astro about their A5 kit,it uses a different input shaft than i have..they do make the correct input shaft but is for the aussie's falcon t5 which is same trans as im using..BUT they haven't made any in over a year and hadnt plan on making any unless special ordered..at the time i couldnt afford it but after the aviator is running im going to have them make me one with their A5 straight cut kit... $$$$$$

Gota get the avi motor pulled,rebuilt and back in first...

Ouch, the projects like to eat too much. My work truck/DD needs a radiator, and I don't have time right now. Do what you can, fingers crossed here.

Shows how much power that engine is making!

Back