• Register Today It's free!

Mass airflow sensor ??

id92

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92' Explorer EB
I'm looking at the Granatelli Mass airflow sensor here in the performance products catalog priced at $315..any other places have it cheaper then that..also do you really get the 10-15rwhp or is it overestimated?
Other considerations..Jet Powertech module $294, borla catback exhaust $415, gibson side exhaust $263.. what do you guys think i should do first?
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd go with the cat back exhaust first. I had a Flowmaster on my '92, and it made a decent difference in power. You can buy a Flowmaster cat back from Dead Link Removed for about $160. It was well worth the $$

I'd consider it after modifying both the air-intake and exhaust first.

I would say go with the Gibson exhaust. I have it and it is very very nice. The chip is also good too. The MAF was good but I do not know about those power gains.
I will tell you that the best thing I have bought and gotten the most power from was the Jacobs Electronic Ignition. I got it for $325 and not only did I get awesome power but even better fuel milage. Those are my two cents. Hope this helps, oh and it is also the easiest to instal. Good luck with you choice, I have all of the power goodies.

Jed

Explorer Express (www.explorerexpress.com) also has a 70mm MAS which is less expensive than the Granatelli and just as good from what I've heard.

The Borla exhaust is good as is the K&N fipk. I think they give the biggest power gains. Since you live in CA don't get the Tru-Rev kit, because it's not smog certified.

i do belive that explorer express sell the Best products pro-m unit which is all so the same as the granetalli unit.

I got my Granatelli 70 mm MAS from truckperformance.com for $180, dont pay more then $200 for it.

Yes it is worth it, no its doesnt give you 15HP by itself.
With a TB, Headers and full exhaust you may be looking at 15HP.

I just looked at the site and it was 300 for the MAF.

??? maybe i looked in the wrong place, send the link.

man i'm hearing 3 positive comments on 3 exhaust systems..there is a big difference prices too..can you guys tell me what kind of sound you get out of the flowmaster, borla, and gibson? do you get somewhat of a v8 noise of a chevy or is it kinda like a deep wining noise?
i'm gonna check out that truckperformance site if the sensor is 180 damn that would save me nearly 140...
thanks for the replies :)

Yep it says $299.
When I bought it I guess it was on sale.
It was almost a year ago.

I have heard you can call these guys and wheel and deal with them, make them an offer.

Also search for Granatelli Motor Sports or GMS from Lycos, go to their homepage and look for other dealers who may have cheaper prices.

The MAF way a great upgrade, really finished off my intake and improved the throttle response.

I have:
7" K&N cone
Granatelli 70mm MAS
95 OHV intake tube
BBK 66mm TB
JBA ceramic headers & y pipe
full 2.5" high flow exhaust (Dynomax)
Taylor Spiro wires
Bosch Plat +4
180 shaw stat
IAT mod

Oh it's a 93 4.0L OHV in a 88 BII w/Mazda 5 speed, kevlar clutch, D35 open, disc brake 8.8 3L73, Duff 3" lift

right now all i got is the air fliter k&n..i haven't been able to find any intakes for it, are there any?

Originally posted by id92
man i'm hearing 3 positive comments on 3 exhaust systems..there is a big difference prices too..can you guys tell me what kind of sound you get out of the flowmaster, borla, and gibson? do you get somewhat of a v8 noise of a chevy or is it kinda like a deep wining noise?
i'm gonna check out that truckperformance site if the sensor is 180 damn that would save me nearly 140...
thanks for the replies :)

The Flowmaster is aluminumized steel, where the Borla and Gibson (I think) are Stainless steel. I had the Flowmaster, and never had a rust problem. The Flowmaster adds a low growl to the exhaust that is not really noticeable until you stomp on it. Then it has a really nice growl. I don't know about the other two.

Of the exhausts, the Borla is probably the quietest but (imho) develops the most power.:D It's not a whole lot louder than stock but it is definantly deeper.

To be honest, the K&N fipk makes more noise than my pipe except at WOT.

Does rust do anything to the exhaust (holes..)?

The borla seems nice yet expensive..and i'm assuming you guys think the exhaust should be done first??
thanks

You do not have to use an aftermarket bolt together exhaust.

You can have any local exhaust shop custom build you a a system. However Not very many exhaust shops have a madrel bender.

I got my third exhuast done on my truck not too long ago. I had a Dynomax high flow 2.25" muffler installed on my truck about 3 years ago behiind my 2.9L engine, that was about $100. When I converted to a 4.0L engine I kept the Dynomax muffler but had them re-do the cat because my stock cats had 180K miles on them (very clogged) That was $150. Now I have JBA ceramic headers and a Y pipe ebhind a 4.0L. So I wanted something a little bigger. For $400 I had my exhaust guy do a full 2.5" high flow cat and Dynomax muffler straight out the back with a turndown.

So you dont have to buy a expensive kit and bolt it on. Of course with my truck (88 BII) thats not possible, nobody builds a cat back for a BII.

id92,

You should be able to get the K&N fipk and a custom exhaust for around $350 total.

I know of two good shops here in San Diego that do custom exhaust set-ups. If you want their info let me know.

If I hadn't got a screaming deal on my Borla at the Saleen sidewalk sale I would have put in a custom set up because they are REALLY expensive.

there a shop here i went to them a while ago..they said around 600 for a custom job...

what kinda custom jobs are you guys refering to..dual exhaust or something
thanks

I'm talking about a Flowmaster mufler installed with stainless pipes. Shouldn't be more than $100.

I had a guy in Chatsworth do my exhaust (modified the Borla) - he's extra clean, will charge you hourly (T&M) if you want, and best of all he has a Saleen Mustang, so he's Ford oriented.

Repost if you're interested...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

about the chatsworth shop..what price would i be looking at? whats the shop name? btw i'm in west hills so like 5-10 minutes to chatsworth i go to school at cal state northridge

Back