Matching existing Keys with new door lock cylinder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Matching existing Keys with new door lock cylinder

aky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Well i got a new (well used from the wreckers) door lock cylinder for the drivers side of my 98 explorer.

Is there a way to match my key with the new cylinder? If so how

thanks.

great forums... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not sure what you are asking but to use your existing keys on the new lock you will need to get the lock rekeyed the your keys locksmith will do if for around $30

Ya that's what I wanted to know. Is there a way it come be done at home by myself. Anyone know what the locksmith does to rekey?? Just curious.

of course you can do it at home if you have the tumbler kit. the lock smith will replace the tumblers in the lock i used to be a lock smith if you dont know what you are doing it is neir impossible its a hard concept to grab and you cant just buy replacemnt tumblers anywhere
bmw-e30-door-lock-tumblers-close-up-07.jpg

There are some things that most all of us DIY type guys have to hire someone to do. Like brain surgery & locksmithing. ;)

Just a quick question. Is there something wrong with the old tumbler?
I would think that you swap out the insides of the old tumbler into the new tumbler.

Well a screwdriver was jammed inside it. Someone tried to get access into my vehicle. If I put my key in, it won't turn. I'm not sure if tumblers are bad but I will take both to the locksmith with me.

Would they have tumbles in stock, is it ford specific?

The tumblers are probably destroyed, if someone tried to break in to your truck. From my understanding there are only about 30 sets of locks for the Explorer, so you might be able to get a lock set from Ford, but if not the lock smith will have to make them, which might cost you. Some of the old tumblers might still be good, so take them and see.

So should I get them from
auto wreckers? Will locksmith be able to match used ones?

its a standard door problem... any lock smith worth the price that he normally charges will readily replace / reset trumblers to any key you want... its not a big problem. The cost becomes an issue IF he has to take the locks off the vehicle and / or the locks are "frozen" from "crud" which then requires significant cleaning efforts before the tumblers are replaced.... none of this should be an issue since you are going "new" (assuming the "salvage" is in as good as new condition). Basically, he "steals" the tumblers that are in the unit and replaces them from "stuff" / kit parts that most / all locksmiths have.

yes its best to hire professional locksmith for that

re-keying locks is simple and can be done at home, if your careful and patient

my method:

take out all the tumblers

put in the key

add tumblers until the tumblers line up right

put lock back together

this method requires luck or as many lock cores as you can walk out of a junkyard in your pockets with

A slight change of topic here, but still regarding lock cylinders. ON my festiva the little flap that pushes in when the key is inserted stays open or partially open all the time. It's been like this since I've owed the vehicle ( about 6 years) and now its difficult to turn the key to open the door. Sometimes it turns ok but most the time it doesn't. Occasionally I have to open the passenger side door to open the driver's side door from the inside. Is there a quick fix to my problem or does the cylinder have to be replaced? thanks, km from saskatoon, saskatchewan

A slight change of topic here, but still regarding lock cylinders. ON my festiva the little flap that pushes in when the key is inserted stays open or partially open all the time. It's been like this since I've owed the vehicle ( about 6 years) and now its difficult to turn the key to open the door. Sometimes it turns ok but most the time it doesn't. Occasionally I have to open the passenger side door to open the driver's side door from the inside. Is there a quick fix to my problem or does the cylinder have to be replaced? thanks, km from saskatoon, saskatchewan

Use a good quality lube on that one. I had good luck with Break free CLP, but really any spray in type lube is better than nothing. I talked to a locksmith when I got my truck because the keys wouldn't turn at all. He asked me 4 ?'s on the phone "what kind of car is it?" Oh, a Ford huh?, "does it have power locks?" "do the power locks work?" "do you have any WD-40?"

he then told me to use the little straw to fill that sucker up with oil and call him back after the weekend to make an appointment if that didn't loosen it up.

I didn't have to call him back

There are not that many different tumbler combos in Explorers (or maybe even all Fords with the same barrel). If you're patient just take your keys with you to the junk yard and start trying to unlock all the Rangers, Bronco II's, Explorers, F-150's etc that you can find. It'll be like a game show... Maybe you'll get lucky and find a match...:D

There are not that many different tumbler combos in Explorers (or maybe even all Fords with the same barrel). If you're patient just take your keys with you to the junk yard and start trying to unlock all the Rangers, Bronco II's, Explorers, F-150's etc that you can find. It'll be like a game show... Maybe you'll get lucky and find a match...:D

Welcome back to another episode of .... "OPEN THAT FORD"

hello all new to the site. I hope I am asking my question in the right place. If not could someone direct me to the right place.

First fast back story. I have a 1999 Explorer Sport. When I went out to the truck I found that som one had broken the passenger side widow. I went to the salavage yard and picked up a replacement window. When I told my wife what happened she told me her purse was in the car. The damaged window was bad enough but now I realize her set on keys were in her purse. So now the scum who broke into the car has the keys and knows where the truck is parked each night.
The local locksmith want nearly $500 to rekey the truck. I found a set of replacement locks with two new PATS keys for about $150.00. I am also going to order two new remotes and reprogram to open the truck. I do not have full coverage on the truck so insurance will not pay

My question is how hard is it to change out the two locks in the door, the hatch lock, and Ignition lock cylinder? I have read the info on reprogamming the PATS. When I install the new ignition cylinder will I be able to just reprogram with the new keys at home or will it need to be done by a locksmith?

Also can I replace the ignition with a NON PATS switch? I am not sure if I should just bite the bullet and pay the locksmith or try this myself.

Thanks any info would be great.

Thanks for the laugh!

Welcome back to another episode of .... "OPEN THAT FORD"

I laughed over that one! I am waiting to hear from a locksmith now. Had to walk home last night. The crappy locks finally caught up with me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back