sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
Thinking about moving down to the San Diego area. How much is a place going to cost me within 20 minutes of downtown? Do people have garages in San Diego?? I'd kill for a house with a 2-car garage. What would the damage be? :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buying or renting?

Either/or.

I can't imagine renting for too long would pencil out. How much can you rent a house for with a garage?

The tenative plan is to come down probably in early June, start working, and crash at a buddy's pad until the GF moves down in Sept. So I'd have a few months of work under my belt before I thought about renting/buying.

Bill how big is your garage?? :D I have a lot of tools.

You got a job lined up downtown? 20 minutes from downtown doesn't get you very far these days. :rolleyes: Maybe five miles.

Yeah, I'll rent you tent space in the field, and part of the garage. Or free rent, for a SAS. ;)

SDG&E. So I am not 100% sure where I'd need to be yet. But my buddy said Metro needs lineman. But like I said, it could be anywhere.

Well, you'll have time to figure out all the different areas, and which ones look good to you. What part of town is your buddy in?

He lives a few blocks east of Ocean Beach.

15 min of downdown isnt to far when traffic is heavy. I use to live about 15 min from down town with no traffic. Houses there ran about 550k and rent is around 2100 a month. This is a 3 br 2 bath house 2 car garage. Mot of the time if a house has a 2 car garage it also has 3 br. There is a big jump from a 2 br 1 ba 1 car garage. Can get them for under 400k. The extra bedroom, bath, garage cost a bunch. I have been looking in ramona. 20 min to elcajon 20 min to escondido and it is cheaper. I found a 3 br 2 bath house 1/2 acre lot with 2- 2 car garages for 440k. I couldnt swing the payments so I didnt buy it. Ramona would take about 90 min with traffic to get in to downtown. Maybe a bit less. One thing I have noticed if you are going to have to go downtown is traffic coming from the east is lighter then from the north or the south. That is why I am looking in east county.

No "gangsta leanin" in san diego

Well now I have to wait till July'ish before they pick up more lineman. :(

I have an Everett Washington opportunity in June. So.. who knows where I'll be. :confused: Good thing I didn't start packing!

Back