• Register Today It's free!

MIL is not illuminating.

janerides

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
-96 XLT
:p: So, I purchased this used '96 XLT from a "honest-looking" farmer. I didn't notice that a portion of the paneling had been opened and won't close on the bottom left of the steering wheel. Then, I notice that my tempature gage won't work. It barely registers after running for awhile. After emissions...well let's just say it failed. I got a P0401, EGR and a P0420 for the Catalyst System Efficiency. I found soem perfect information on those items on this forum. You guys are great. But emissions also said that the MIL will not illuminate under key on engine off conditions. I am wondering if that honest farmer disconnected something before I start paying to replace that too. What do you think guys? Give it to me straight. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! Honestly I think there is a bad wire going to PCM. Sounds like the wires are shorting out the dash. But then again if it was a farm truck and the guy got tierd of looking at the light, he may have just pulled a wire out of the dash itself.

The bulb could be burned out, or removed completely. It should illuminate when you switch the key on.

Replacing the instrument cluster lights is pretty simple. There is a thread for it on the forum

The warning indicator lights do take a different bulb than the backlighting uses.

+1 for what Turdle said. My MIL bulb burned out last year and I failed for it also. The indicator bulbs are #161 and the illumination bulbs are #194.

Ford Documentation for Fault Codes

Thanks for the info guys...my boyfriend replaced the bulbs in the dash for me, and yes the MIL light was burnt out. But there was also black electrical tape over the MIL. Go figure! Now Iam just looking for a thread on here that a very nice engineer left that was the documentation for all the fault codes fromFord Motor company. Has anyone seen it?

Back