• Register Today It's free!

Mild motor build suggestions

87xjmike

Reaction score
City, State
Colfax, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 exploder
Well I took my expo to the Mojave trail while en route to the MINT 400 in vegas last weekend and siezed my motor in a big water crossing. It wouldn't turn over at all after pulling plugs, socket on the crank, and trying to pop start with a clutch dump... So I pulled the motor out of my spare X last night and am contemplating build options.

I was planning on just putting a new head gasket kit on it- (I ordered the 150$ Victor reinz HG kitoff rock auto that included new head bolts)... but now want to give it a little power in addition to a head rebuild. Is there a cam thats under $200 out there that will work best in the 3-4k rpm range with just a cone intake and exhaust? (I'm building the truck into a prerunner so I need speed) I also need to pass cali smog with it.

Any quick tips i can Do to the heads while they're out to gain power? I don't want to spend time and money porting tnem. My local shop will do a head job and 3 angle valve for 150. I looked at morengo (or however you spell it) and they're too pricey for me right now as I'm in escrow for a house so need to do this as cheaply as possible while gaining a lil extra go juice.

Thanks in advance for and suggestiosn!

Back