Miles Per Dollar calculator!

E.B. Cornburner

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
I got this off another forum I visit, and it's pretty cool to use for live calculations of which fuel is more cost efficient.

http://e85prices.com/milesperdollar.htm

For me, E85 is still the way to go. I used some real world MPG numbers of 12 MPG for E85, and 15 MPG for gasoline, and based on current fuel prices, came up with E85 delivering 5.08 miles/dollar, and unleaded delivering 4.84 miles/dollar.

I thought this was pretty cool and something to share with the rest of the Explorer community.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...they just opened up a station in l.a. that sells e85 last week...:rolleyes:

and as i said before, that e85 savings is going right back into your food purchases.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2008/03/01/high_food_prices_mean_us_aid_cuts/1849/

increase in biofuels and demand from china and india.

yep, keep using that biofuel. you will have high fuel prices and food prices!

And what if we don't use them? Suddenly, the food and fuel prices will magically drop? Riiiiigghhhttt. :rolleyes:
To quote a line from Super Troopers..."I'll believe that when me s**t turns purple, and smells like rainbow sherbet!"

and as i said before, that e85 savings is going right back into your food purchases.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2008/03/01/high_food_prices_mean_us_aid_cuts/1849/

increase in biofuels and demand from china and india.

yep, keep using that biofuel. you will have high fuel prices and food prices!

Except they have now figured out how to make E85 out of other plants like they do with Bio-diesel. In addition of to that they have figured out how to produce ethanol using bacteria.

Personally though I'm waiting for some hydrogen plants to come online in a few years. They have recently figured out how to use bacteria to make hydrogen instead of having to break water using a lot of electricity which in turn uses a lot of fuel of one type or another.

why would you do that to me.. it almost made me cry

Won't be long until it's Dollars per mile!!!

I have been burning E85 exclusively for 2 weeks now. My real numbers are: On gas I average 19.2 and on E85 I average 17.3. My driving is almost exclusively rural, very little stop and go. At current prices, 2.99 for E85 and 3.49 for gas I show 5.79 mp$ E85 and 5.50 mp$ gas. My fuel savings this week were a little more than $11. The price spread is very likely to decrease with increased consumption. I'll burn it as long as it has $0.40 or more spread, otherwise I see E85 as a novelty.

The spread by me is 85 cents right now. :)

You'll never convince these knuckleheads. They will stay dependent on crude oil fuels and continue to reach deeper into their empty pockets for the money to pay for it as CHINA and INDIA join the US in fuel consumption. We need bio-fuels and any kind is headed in the right direction. They are making advances and to the surprise of many, E85 is not just made of CORN. Do your homework and you will maybe realize that there are other sources to make E85 other than your precious cornflakes.It was our fault for making these camel jockey towelheads that just hate all westerners and would love to see us die, so filthy rich...rich enough to move out of their caves and ditch their rocks for palaces and RPGs....I personally have seen the savings with E85 and would love to see us have the choice. Lets face it....we need reusable sources because last time I checked, there were no more DINOs around to make any more of that thick black crap....though it would be nice if they would come up with a way to refine that oil shack rocks or whatever they are called and open up the North Alaska are and tap the Gulf. But all that would just be sold for the market price and not any savings to us USA citizens.

Won't be long until it's Dollars per mile!!!

At least fuel economy is rated in miles per gallon, and not gallons per mile. Instead of aveaging lets say 15 miles a gallon how about 15 gallons a mile, can we say $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$EXPENSIVE$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

E85 is a great fuel, no doubt that as demand for it goes up we will find more effective was of making it.

The mileage thing will even get worked out as well. Yes I know the BTU output is less but the octane is way higher so you can get more power out of the motor. You can use a smaller motor (better MPG) and get the same power levels. There is more then one 1500+hp car running on E85, normally you would need 105+.

It also runs way cleaner and not just the environmental stuff it runs way cleaner in the motor as well, meaning less maintenance/repair costs.

How much do you think your cornflaks (as well as every thing else) will cost when diesel goes to $7 a gallon? how about $10? How much have airline tickets gone up in the last year? how many have gone under? How about all the fuel surcharges on shipments?

If I have to pay more money for fuel I might as well help this economy.

Now if they would just open some stations around me and I would be happy.

its amazing what billions in subsidies and gov regulations can do for an industry. put ethanol out on the open market on the same playing field and you all will see just how economical it is.

yes, you are paying cheaper at the pump because your taxes are paying the rest.

also why don't you "experts" actually go look at how energy intensive ethanol production is and how much ethanol production relies on imported sources. we would still be dependent on foreign imports, all we are doing is shifting it from oil to other products.

and once again, land, please everyone, on your own, go calculate how much land is required for ethanol to produce enough fuel for our needs and please then go look how much food we need and then combine the two together and come up with something.

or i guess we can just import food from great nations as china and russia.

i think everyone here would do if they took a few semesters of economics.

Tell me how much energy is required to produce a gallon of gasoline from crude oil, including the additives required for regional blend laws, compared to how much energy is required to produce a gallon of ethanol, then we'll talk.

Honestly, I couldn't care less if E85 is cheaper or not. I'd use it even if it were more expenive than gasoline. The cheaper price is just a nice little bonus. For me, my fuel expense is one of the last things I'm concerned about. When the tank is empty, I fill it.

E85 fuel accounts for only 1% of all the ethanol used as fuel. Much more of it goes as oxygenate additives for regular gasoline (up to 10% ethanol in most gasolines now).
It actually helps offset fuel costs.

Analysis by Merrill commodities market strategist Francisco Blanch (as reported today by the Wall Street Journal) says that:

Oil and gasoline prices would be about 15 percent higher if biofuel producers weren't increasing their output. That would put oil at more than $115 a barrel, instead of the current price of around $102. U.S. gasoline prices would have surged to more than $3.70 a gallon, compared with an average of a little more than $3.25 today.

Not only that but how great was refineries back in 1930? Also you keep thinking you can only use corn LOL maybe you should do a little research.

By the way glad to see my tax dollors going to some good use, its about time.

oil is the cheapest form of energy to get, one day you will all understand the economics behind that.

corn due to our climate in the US is the best used plant for ethanol production. the switch grass production is bs. also it is not about corn, it is about land, as i said, go figure out on your own how much land is required to supply the US with both energy and food.

also, where you think we get our fertilizer from? how you think all that ethanol is going to get to every fuel station?

you all think that your tax dollars going to support of failing industry is a good thing? would you support the gov giving me money so i can run a non-profitable business?

you all here are so on the anti-oil band wagon it is freakin funny and sad at the same time.

how about this, lets take government olut of the energy thing all together and see how well ethanol survives, if it is truly an efficent source of energy than it should do fine in the free market right?

Let me guess your a Mobile share holder.

I understand economics very well thank you, you have obviously have very little understanding of technology.

By the way it is doing fine for a emerging tech new stations are popping up all the time.

Simple FACT is the oil is not going to last forever if you want to stick your fingers in your ears and sing oil is great, oil is great. Good for you but you are going to get left behind (really you all ready have).

you all think that your tax dollars going to support of failing industry is a good thing? would you support the gov giving me money so i can run a non-profitable business?
Our tax dollars go to support failed efforts by the government every day. Why not contribute to one that actually might work?

I won't make this political. I can't even believe it got this far off-track.

Like I said before...My food prices aren't going to magically drop if I stop using E85, so there's no reason not to save almost a dollar a gallon on a fuel that performs better than gasoline.

You talk about subsidies...You don't think oil is subsidized? Think again.

I'll think about this conversation every time I fill my tank. With the $15+ I'm saving on every tankful, I'll use that extra cash to go buy some overpriced groceries that my ethanol use has caused. :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree with CornBurner. Food prices are the result of higher transportation cost due to higher diesel prices forced onto truckers because Oil is on a rise everyday. China and India will only add to the problem as they become more and more consumers of oil than in the past. Imagine, what if the two most populated countries were to become HOGS of oil like we are. Should we wait till oil is not affordable or runs out to come up with a better solution. No, the time was yesterday. We are way behind and if it means a few less flakes in the bowl, so be it. They will and have come up with advances since the whole E85 started. It wasn't long ago that people were jokingly saying that oil would top a $100...Well, that day came and went...now they are saying $200 a barrel. How much can you afford to pay for gas before you hop the fence and start looking for an alternative fuel? Be prepared for "I TOLD YOU SO"....lol

Back