Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector

So the dealer installed the rear air deflector on my ST. The hands-free tailgate feature (where you put your foot under the rear bumper to open the tailgate), which worked 100% of the time before the installation of the rear air deflector, now virtually never works. It maybe only works about 5% of the time. Anyone else experience this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine has never worked 100% and after the deflector, I'd say it is no different than it was.

So the dealer installed the rear air deflector on my ST. The hands-free tailgate feature (where you put your foot under the rear bumper to open the tailgate), which worked 100% of the time before the installation of the rear air deflector, now virtually never works. It maybe only works about 5% of the time. Anyone else experience this?
I have the Aviator with the deflector and have had no issues at all with the hands-free feature.

Peter

I have the Platinum with the deflector installed by the dealer, no issues.

TBill

I have the Platinum with the deflector installed by the dealer, no issues.

TBill
I have the Aviator with the deflector and have had no issues at all with the hands-free feature.

Peter
Is there a certain spot under there that you should move your foot? Mine has never been great and now seems to not work without the deflector installed.

James

It all depends on whether or not you have the factory hitch. I follow the directions on page 77 of the Manual and it works at least 90% on the first attempt.

Peter

My dealer installed the deflector. Tailgate feature worked before and after the install.

Had mine in for first service last week. Dealer just ordered a rear deflector and attachment parts for me. I rarely use the feature to open the tailgate with my foot, but when I do it get's it right the first time about 70% of the time.

i installed the deflector myself, and the hands-free feature works at least 90% of the time on the first kick. About the same as before the deflector was installed. I activate it by kicking slightly to the right of the hitch.

It usually takes a couple seconds for the liftgate to activate on mine. I kick, put my foot back on the ground and take a step back, then the liftgate opens.

It usually takes a couple seconds for the liftgate to activate on mine. I kick, put my foot back on the ground and take a step back, then the liftgate opens.
That's normal so you don't get hit by it.

Peter

I just checked my 2020 Platinum and no air deflector. Looks like a trip to the dealer.
Follow-Up: Dealership pulled build sheet and showed me it was not on there. I'm not going to worry over it.

My 2020 XLT has a build date of 2020 07 22 and doesn’t have it. I just took delivery 4 days ago. Going to contact my dealer tomorrow to ask about it. Anything else I should be checking before I call?

My 2020 XLT has a build date of 2020 07 22 and doesn’t have it. I just took delivery 4 days ago. Going to contact my dealer tomorrow to ask about it. Anything else I should be checking before I call?
Check the tire pressure to make sure they reduced it to the proper level. They are over-inflated for shipping.

Peter

The deflector is missing on our late production 2020 ST. :oops:

Thanks, but I also want them to send the hard copy as it was supposed to come with it.
Are the mats ST-specific, or are they the same in every Explorer model?

ST mats do not have explorer on them and are trimmed in white stitching.

My Aviator came with the deflector as well as a hitch cover as the older Explorers did. no issues with the hatch opening or closing. You just 'gotta have your foot in the right place.

AviatorHitch.jpg

Linwithairdeflector.JPG

My Aviator came with the deflector as well as a hitch cover as the older Explorers did. no issues with the hatch opening or closing. You just 'gotta have your foot in the right place.

View attachment 326026

View attachment 326027
I'm not aware of any Aviator owners having missing air deflectors. The only ones missing them were mostly Explorer ST and Platinum. My inspection of several dealer lots led me to believe most of the XLT's and Limited models had deflectors but most or all ST and Platinum did not. Some Aviator owners discovered the fuel filler funnel missing and had them provided by the dealer.

I'm not aware of any Aviator owners having missing air deflectors. The only ones missing them were mostly Explorer ST and Platinum. My inspection of several dealer lots led me to believe most of the XLT's and Limited models had deflectors but most or all ST and Platinum did not. Some Aviator owners discovered the fuel filler funnel missing and had them provided by the dealer.
Mine came with both the fuel filler and the tow hook.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine came with both the fuel filler and the tow hook.
Mine did not have the towing eye (hook) and I'm not even sure if there is a place to attach it. Have you checked? Unlike the Explorer Owner's Manual, there is no mention of it in the Aviator Manual. Also, it was discontinued for the Explorer as a running production change was made that eliminated the place where it was supposed to screw into.

Peter

Back