Moab 2013 - May 10-12 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2013 - May 10-12

Which weekend is best? (May 10-12 is best for me)

• Weekend of May 10-12

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Weekend of May 17-20

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
... and i wont wheel that far from home and on terrain as famous as Moab without a tow rig

My first couple of trips to Moab were withpout a tow rig and I know several people who have and still drive, wheel all weekend, and drive back home to, in, and from Moab.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've done it many times. To and from Texas, and to and from South Carolina.

It does depend on how aggressive you like to fourwheel and how often you break stuff. As Char said, there are many easier trails (that even stockers can go on) - they are still awesome trails because it's Moab. If you are careful many of the tougher trails don't necessarily have to break stuff.

However if you're heavy on the go pedal and normally break stuff, yes you do need a tow rig, because Moab will definately expose the weaknesses of both your rig and your driving/wheeling skills/technique.

My first couple of trips to Moab were withpout a tow rig and I know several people who have and still drive, wheel all weekend, and drive back home to, in, and from Moab.

There's someone missing from this discussion.

has anyone seen or head from PAUL?

Just sent Paul a PM.

I just talked to his wife. He is up on Mt Rainier right now. She said he's been really focused on getting to the summit and hasn't been thinking about much else.

She will convey our concern and let him know about the Moab thread.

I hope conditions up there improve. There has been high risk for avalanches in the last week and there have also been a couple deaths from falling in to crevasses.

Keep him safe in your thoughts guys!!

Understand not wanting to wheel hard so far away from home. Just wanted to let you know there are easy trails as well. Although, you may WANT to do harder trails. :)

I broke a CV joint on a level 2 at Smorr, and although i ran the same trail several times after without any problems it makes me very concerned about wheeling in such a remote place with such unforgiving terain without a tow rig. Rick was there, he can tell ya how easy that trail was (i drove out in 2wd after not being able to get it repaired on the trail) I am hoping to swing it by 2015 (i like realistic goals lol)

I just talked to his wife. She will let him know about the Moab thread.

What the hell happened to the NW Wheeling Thread ? ? ? j/k. . .

I'm aware of this thread (and am usually on the site daily), my work is flexible enough that all weekend dates proposed in May are fine with me. Based on that, coupled with the fact we are still 330+ days away from the tentative event, and of course, the fact that I don't ever want to accused of padding my post count, I've refrained from replying to this thread. . .

Sure, planning on being there. . . Prichett, too.

No love on Rainier - - - a fellow climber's broken crampon that couldn't be jerry-rigged with duct tape and cordage forced my rope team to retire at about the 11,900 foot level near the top of Disappointment Clever. Winds probably sustained at 40 m.p.h. with gusts into the 60's; over a week since Ranger Hall fell to his death and the weather on the mountain still has prevented his recovery. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

I know its a little early but are there any for sure trails we will be doing?
I need to know how quickly I need to build this rig. I at least need the locker for now and front tow hooks.

Its already lifted and a regear is planned. I'll have to research more on a winch; I want it kind of hidden.

Sorry for getting off topic

Sorry for getting off topic
Dude, we will get this thread WAY more off topic than you did. Trust me. :D

Im pumped about hitting Moab again. My own personal goal is to get Rick and Paul in pritchett canyon. :p Gonna be nice wheeling the scenic stuff with no doors or windows. Might even be roofless by that time... who knows.

Im pumped about hitting Moab again. My own personal goal is to get Rick and Paul in pritchett canyon. :p Gonna be nice wheeling the scenic stuff with no doors or windows. Might even be roofless by that time... who knows.

Can't believe that rear cargo window finally broke. . .

Off topic again, but here's a photo of my "hidden" front winch (but be sure get the tow hooks if nothing else). . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Attachments

• Bronco 3.JPG
    Bronco 3.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 379

Nice looking winch set up. I'm going to be mounting a Ranger front "cross member" to be able to do factory tow hooks. With that, I'll probably be able to get something done with a winch.

Can't believe that rear cargo window finally broke. . .
That window was truely a legend. When it finally broke it went with a bang. Sounded like a 12 gauge!

On another note im dreaded buying tires between now and then. The irok drag radials are getting pretty thin. New tires will cost about as much as the trip itself! :confused:

Attachments

• 252754_197305470315508_2894684_n.jpg
    252754_197305470315508_2894684_n.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 383

On another note im dreaded buying tires between now and then. The irok drag radials are getting pretty thin. New tires will cost about as much as the trip itself! :confused:

We're in the same boat. The IROK's have dry rot, so we need new tires.

We're in the same boat. The IROK's have dry rot, so we need new tires.
I bought my first set brand new at $160/per. Now they're $300. :eek:

I was thinking about going with 38x12.50 SX's (they're no taller than the IROKs) and grooving them, but they're almost $400. I cannot fathom cutting up a $1600 set of tires. LOL

Rick was looking at a different tire as well. I don't remember which ones, but I believe they were more expensive than the IROK. He is having difficulty deciding what to do now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick was looking at a different tire as well. I don't remember which ones, but I believe they were more expensive than the IROK. He is having difficulty deciding what to do now.

My next set of tires will be either Pitbull rockers or Iroks again

Back