Moab 2023 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2023

Not sure they 100% can, unless the park itself chooses to also enforce it. Otherwise private land is private land, not likely they'll be too crazy about it. Still probably better safe than sorry I guess

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So what classifies a "Street Legal Off-Hwy Vehicle"? Isn't that along the lines of making a RZR street legal?

From what I read this morning, is if you have a DOT vehicle, this doesn't apply. I need the smoke to clear on this one, and see whats up after.

Still have a month to get it squared away and for the smoke to clear.

"Does my car/jeep/truck, etc. need a Utah non-resident OHV permit?

If your machine is registered as a “passenger vehicle,” it does not require a Utah non-resident OHV permit because it is not considered an off-highway vehicle (OHV).

Does a Utah non-resident OHV permit apply to the person or the machine?

Utah non-resident OHV permits apply to the machine. If a machine is registered out of state, it will require a Utah non-resident OHV permit to operate on trails. Exceptions to this are registered vehicles (Jeep, Tacoma, Land Rover, etc.) and street-legal motorcycles."

I'm curious how they can enforce that on federal BLM land, and in National Parks.:dunno:
They legally can't, but that won't stop them from citing you. You would then have to appear in court to contest the validity of a state law on federal land, and lose to the local kangaroo court. Challenge it through the court of appeals, maybe get help from a legal defense fund, win in the end and the law is wiped from the books. Next legislation session, they vote in a new, even more oppressive law to go through the system all over again. Or maybe I'm thinking of California....

"Does my car/jeep/truck, etc. need a Utah non-resident OHV permit?

If your machine is registered as a “passenger vehicle,” it does not require a Utah non-resident OHV permit because it is not considered an off-highway vehicle (OHV).

Does a Utah non-resident OHV permit apply to the person or the machine?

Utah non-resident OHV permits apply to the machine. If a machine is registered out of state, it will require a Utah non-resident OHV permit to operate on trails. Exceptions to this are registered vehicles (Jeep, Tacoma, Land Rover, etc.) and street-legal motorcycles."

Last fall I took the dirt bikes out. 3- my wife, my kid and me. All dirt bikes that have plates on them- street legal (in colorado) dirt bikes. So It is a little grey as to whether or not we needed the OHV permit or not. I choose to go a ahead and get one for each. 1- dont have to worry about a ticket, 2- I like to support the DNR in Utah. They have all been pretty good to me over the years. Even rescued me in a snowcat in northern utah once.

I like this idea. I dont know if I can make it with the schedule or if I can talk my wife into it. But it would sure be fun. Moab has really gotten out of hand with the growth and people and traffic as of late. It is closer to me than St. George, though, so Ill probably keep going.

I was able to reserve the 12th, 13th and 14th at the moab rim campark. I'm wanting to stay a few more days. Anyone have a recommendation where to stay?

Gateway, Colorado. Sweet museum and incredible resort.

I was able to reserve the 12th, 13th and 14th at the moab rim campark. I'm wanting to stay a few more days. Anyone have a recommendation where to stay?
How are you staying, RV, tent, room, etc...

How are you staying, RV, tent, room, etc...
I was planning on staying in a room. I've only ever stayed at the campark and dry camping way south of town.

I was planning on staying in a room. I've only ever stayed at the campark and dry camping way south of town.
I stayed at the Adventure Inn twice, 5 to 7 years ago, the owners were friendly, and the rooms were clean. I would stay there again if I did not have an RV.

Was just there for a week in thanksgiving. I'd be interested in going again. Hopefully by then I'll have the JD 3" installed.

Too early to start talking trails?

Plenty of desire to a do a few of the “old regulars”, but some of the crew are bringing their new Broncos, so might tone down the options to limit body damage.

However, according to Kevin: “I’m not spending a week in Moab to run ‘Chicken Corners’ five times. . . “

Thoughts ? ? ?

Paul

I am down for whatever we need to run for the comfort level of others. Depending on the number of people who show up, we could go in 2 groups if needed for fun bucket factor. We could start with Hell's revenge and fins and things and go from there.

I just may have to change my plans. I have plans right now that week/weekend. To take drive my Buick Sportwagon to the Buick GS nationals in Bowling Green KY. If I change them it would give me more time to work on the wagon. LOL.

TIm

Where is everyone staying?? I figure we'd camp. With hotel prices through the roof.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most so far staying at the campground formerly known as “Canyonlands”, mid-town and located behind the Texaco gas station; now part of national or regional chain: “Sun Outdoors” or something like it . . . At least one staying at Spanish Fork RV park and maybe a few dispersed on BLM land.

Paul

Back