Moab 2023 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2023

Too early to start talking trails?

Thoughts ? ? ?
Okay, fine . . . I’ll start.

1. Trifecta - - “Poison Spider Mesa”, “Gold Bar Rim”, and “Golden Spike” (with optional “Where Eagles Dare”).

2. “Elephant Hill”.

3. “Cliffhanger”.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well being that
1: I have never wheeled in Moab
2: I am new at wheeling my 94 EX. Not new to wheeling That has been 30+yrs.

I may want to start mild level 4-5. Then depending on my confidence I may look at harder trails. I will have to remember that I will have to drive the Ex home.

I still need to do some work/ additions to the EX.
1: CB radio install including antenna.
2: Rock sliders that where slated for my 1st EX. where never used on any other one.
3: Check it over completely, With the weather and our trip to MI plus the garage being taken. it is the driveway.
4: get a winch remote. Didn't come with one.

Tim

I may want to start mild level 4-5. Then depending on my confidence I may look at harder trails. I will have to remember that I will have to drive the Ex home.
Tim -

All doable. The traction in Moab is superior to anything else in the world, literally like driving on sandpaper. Explorers do well there (especially the four door), as the wheelbase is favorable to most of the obstacles that stymie shorter wheel-base rigs. Even most of the “hard” trails at Moab are 75% easy driving with obstacles interspersed, - - sure, there are some extreme trails that are one obstacle after another, but we won’t be on those.

Trail selection is all “talk” until the morning meet-up at City Market, and with some brand new Broncos in the mix this year, as well as my aversion to body damage, we’re not going on the severe stuff…. Still some hard trails, but alternating with some moderate ones mixed in. And a good crew that will ground-guide as needed, or wrench if the ground-guiding doesn’t work out…. (GManpaint might argue this point, but that’s probably saved for after the trail campfire talk… ).

Get what you can done before Moab, but don’t let not having a wired CB mounted keep you from coming - - we’ve got handhelds as spares. A winch remote, sure; sliders if you can, but none of that should keep you from coming. . .

I plan on driving there and back in my Explorer as well, so familiar with the need not to grenade the rig on the trails.

Paul

I did fins and things both sides with 31s no locker and no lift beyond stiffer rear leafs. I was surprised how well we did. unless the wall was near vertical it was doable.

Well being that

I still need to do some work/ additions to the EX.
1: CB radio install including antenna.
2: Rock sliders that where slated for my 1st EX. where never used on any other one.
3: Check it over completely, With the weather and our trip to MI plus the garage being taken. it is the driveway.
4: get a winch remote. Didn't come with one.

Tim
All you need to know is, whatever is in the rear hatch, ends up in front seat, and the other way around. Secure everything well, you'll be driving straight up and straight down on sandpaper covered rock.

I did fins and things both sides with 31s no locker and no lift beyond stiffer rear leafs. I was surprised how well we did. unless the wall was near vertical it was doable.
its al i the driver ;)

In all my years doing this, and of all the places I have wheeled, Moab with the EF crew, has been the best bar none. Best people, Best spotters, & Best of times.

We take in all walks of life, with open arms. EF has always accommodated every one some how. This group meet has always been about the people, and the friendships it has, or will be made. It just happens at one of the best place's in the country for what we do. Gatherings at the end of the day, over dinner or campfire rivals the time spent on the trails.

I have made amazing relations with these folk since 2008, and regardless how many times we meet face to face, we still have that friendship, like we met yesterday. We rejoice, we bicker, and we do most things a normal family would do. Dysfunctional at times, but still family. LOL

I am also in the "Need to get this thing back home in one pc" Group. Mid level trails is it for me. I will bring 2 sets of spare axles this time Paul. 🤣

Well winch remote obtained but plans have changed. We are going to swap over the new Warn VR10s and ARB compressor from the Ranger to the Ex.
Also picked up the CB antenna and mount/coax. So, it is coming together. However I am having to make an emergency trip to FL next week. To be with my mom for a week or two. Going to put a damper on getting things done. But, It maybe cold while I am gone so I couldn't work on the Ex anyway.

Cannot wait to head to Moab.

Tim

Fortunately, the only thing I have to do before Moab is too remove the catch can I have installed, for the ECU does not like it once I am at higher altitudes.

50 days! !
no it is 49! LOL

Nix the changes right now. We may just keep the winch until it dies, that is the plan for today.

Tim

Would like to have one good easy relaxing trail day. Just rolling with scenery to gawk at and take pictures/videos. Break out the Drones. Find an epic overlook to have lunch at.

Already done these, and don't mind doing again... Chicken Corners, Hurrah pass, Schaefer, Potash, Gemini Bridges, Long Canyon, & 7 mile.

Never done any of these yet..... Onion Creek and Fisher towers 20 miles 2 hrs, Klondike Bluffs 14 miles 4 hrs, Elephant Hill 6.4 miles 3 hrs, or Geyser Pass 25 miles 4 hrs.

Thoughts?

If you've never done Elephant Hill I would recommend it. I thought it was a pretty cool trail, just a ways out of town/

Would like to have one good easy relaxing trail day. Just rolling with scenery to gawk at and take pictures/videos. Break out the Drones. Find an epic overlook to have lunch at.

Already done these, and don't mind doing again... Chicken Corners, Hurrah pass, Schaefer, Potash, Gemini Bridges, Long Canyon, & 7 mile.

Never done any of these yet..... Onion Creek and Fisher towers 20 miles 2 hrs, Klondike Bluffs 14 miles 4 hrs, Elephant Hill 6.4 miles 3 hrs, or Geyser Pass 25 miles 4 hrs.

Thoughts?

Onion Creek & Fisher - very scenic and lots of water crossings. A bit on the boring side and mostly or all a 2wd trail from what I remember.
Klondike Bluffs - used to be easy but last time I did it (~6yrs+) was fairly difficult in my little Explorer. Good slickrock action, somewhat scenic. Can dump out to Arches NP.
Elephant Hill - Ive never done it but that is a 4hr round-trip drive just on the highway. Requires a permit.
Geyser Pass - I'm willing to bet the passes will still be snowed in, Moab just got snow again this week. Geyser Pass is a fun dirt/gravel drive, La Sal pass is the more fun of the two and similar to the Colorado passes.

Other suggestions I have would be Sego Canyon and the Book Cliffs loop which is just north of the interstate and an easy drive from Moab. A few good lookouts, railroad history, ghost town ruins and rock art. I did it solo about 5 years ago and had a great time.

Dome Plateau - some obstacles on the southern end but super stock friendly, opens up on the northern end with some mining history. This is one of the Bronco Rodeo trails I think. Has a lookout spur of the river canyon and TOTW trail across the other side.

Cameo Cliffs (aka Hook and Ladder) is south of town by a ways and is one I have wanted to check out for a while. Supposed to be on the easier side with great scenery.

Some of the group could do Chicken Corners and split at the Lockhart turn and run the harder part which is the bottom of that canyon. Top out on the mesa then turn around and head back to meet back with the Chicken Corners group.

Thoughts?
Geyser pass was pretty fun when I've done it a few years ago. The Wasatch-Cache was amazing too(was hunting there a few years back, not a trail specifically, but scenery was so good there(also made me remember I gotta pick up my order from Gritrsports)

My Son is joining us for 2 days with his SXS, and bringing the 4yr old Grandson. We can't be out for a 12 hour day when they use this, and why I am asking for an easy day, but highly scenic. The next day in my rig.

Sounds like Elephant hill is out. I would rather spend more time on the trails, then the Hwy, after a cross country trek.

Geyser trail is one I was looking forward too, as I have never been up La Sal yet. I guess I thought La Sal Pass was the paved road up it. lol

CC / Schrieffer/ Potash would be a good one.

I think we did Dome Plateau with EF back in 2016? Does that one have that canyon that bottle necks and full of deep sand with some ledges? (I had to strap a member up the ledges as they refused to air down)

Cameo cliffs sounds great!

Sego Canyon & book cliffs loop sounds perfect.

As the normal with this, we will decide when we are there and meet up. Just good to throw some ideas around ahead of time. Thanks all!

Sounds like Elephant hill is out. I would rather spend more time on the trails, then the Hwy, after a cross country trek.

As the normal with this, we will decide when we are there and meet up. Just good to throw some ideas around ahead of time. Thanks all!

Don't bail on Elephant Hill! ! ! Okay, so it's a trip out there, plus you've got to enter the park (fee), and you can't bring pets - - but it is an awesome trail. . . As quoted from the Well's book: "One of our all-time favorite trails..." Would not recommend with son/grandson (no ATVs/UTVs allowed and it will be a long day), but don't strike it off the list for this year ! ! ! And besides, the drive out is pretty damn scenic, paved or not. . .

If you haven't ever run this trail, consider it. . . (and the fact that Brian hasn't run it yet makes it even more tempting).

Paul

Elephant hill is a pretty cool trail, it is 70 miles out of town and has some neat features to look at.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't bail on Elephant Hill! ! ! Okay, so it's a trip out there, plus you've got to enter the park (fee), and you can't bring pets - - but it is an awesome trail. . . As quoted from the Well's book: "One of our all-time favorite trails..." Would not recommend with son/grandson (no ATVs/UTVs allowed and it will be a long day), but don't strike it off the list for this year ! ! ! And besides, the drive out is pretty damn scenic, paved or not. . .
Elephant hill is a pretty cool trail, it is 70 miles out of town and has some neat features to look at.
Okay, now I kinda wanna squeeze it into my 2023 schedule somehow :D

Back