• Register Today It's free!

monroe vs gabriel shocks

onepir8

Reaction score
City, State
glendale. ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
(1) i need to replace my 91 explorer (stock suspension w/ 235/75 bridgestone dueller ats) shocks and want to go with either monroe reflex or gabriel vst. i do about 30 freeway miles a day and another 10mi on the streets. i barely have time to hit the dirt road anymore. which shocks should i get?
thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have heard good reviews on the Monroe..I drive 60 miles a day, and run the rs5000 Rancho..I have heard they are made by Monroe, and I'm more then satisfied with the ride quality..

I put a set of Gabriel VST's on my X, and love em! $19.99 each at Pep Boys. I also have a 2" TT lift with them and have no problems.

I have been driving on Monroe Reflex shocks on my 94 for about 2 months now. They really are a smooth ride. The Exploder handles a whole lot better. They really reduce the side to side roll. I paid around $130 for the set of 4 including shipping. I find them to be a wise purchase.

The cheapest I could find the set ( and I did a lot of searching) was from A-1 Parts in Houston, Texas. Their website is A-1parts.com in case you are interested.

P.S.-- Be careful changing the front shocks!!! The stud coming off the radius arm where the shock mounts to is prone to breaking. Spray them with a penetrant every day for a week prior to removal. When you are taking the bolt off, be very gentle. I broke it and had to spend 5 hours replacing thr radius arm. THAT JOB SUCKS!!!

irtySanchez

I just bought some of the monroe's from A1 yesterday to put on my 94. I saw the tip on spraying with the lubricant. Any other helpful hints for me when I put them on this weekend? Did you have to lower the spare to get to the rear shocks? Thanks

nate

Npearman-

It is a relatively easy job. You will need to remove the spare tire.There is no need to jack up the truck. You can work with it in the ground. Just turn the front wheels when nessecary. Other than taking caution with that radius arm, you shouldn't have any problems. The job should only take you around 1 hour. Good Luck!!

Back