• Register Today It's free!

more hp and better mpg?

yaw

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Mazda Navajo
i recently read a post, i think from here about removing your converter, and having a pipe welded in, to gain hp and mpg...does this work? will any local muffler shop weld in the peice for me(i'm quite sure they won't take the converter off for me) and is it going to be a LOT louder? i'd like to hear thoughts from anyone who has done this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i read and replied to the thread that youre talking about. the guy didnt say remove the converter, he said remove the muffler and replace it with just a pipe - thats a real bad idea, and yes thats ridiculously loud (no to mention illegal.)

this must be a different one:

Dead Link Removed

this guy says converter..the midas guy told me i 'could' get rid of it if i wanted a louder sound, but his shop couldn't remove it for me...that's why i was wondering if they would put a pipe in there if i removed it.

well, that url isnt working, but anyway...i dont know all the details of the laws regarding the removal/installation of cats, but i dont think it would be a good idea to remove it and put a pipe in its place. im sure someone who knows more about it will post here.

ha ha, i wanted to drive around without my exhaust on when i was putting my borla on. It was 11 at night and i was going to drive around and make all this racket before i put the new exhaust on. Doesn't sound like a bad idea? I just didn't do it because i didnt want to wake up the p's upstairs. So, why is it illegal though? too loud? LOL its funny when you see mufflers and exhaust pipes hanging and sparking on the ground. Those are great times!

Its illeagal here in Michigan to remove your cat but people do it all the time. They just take it out weld in a straight piece and there done. It will givea couple of extra HP but not much. It will also give you a deeper sound to your exhaust. Most places like Midas won't take off BUT most of the little deadbeat looking shops will do things like that "under the table"

hey at least fireworks are legal there. over here in illinois fireworks are illegal. its so much bs. i gotta make my run over the border to indiana to get my yearly supply. damn laws!

most fireworks aren't leagal either I head down to ohio to get mine every year.

You are breaking a Fedral law by removing the Cat.
You are also polluting the Environment by removing your Cat.
Now I know your just one person, but what if everyone decided to do this. Whatever gains you get, certianly are not worth contributing to the degregation of our planet. We try to teach people to "TREAD RIGHTLY". Taking your cat off does not fit into that catogory. I know you don't want to hear this, but if you are going to do something, do it right, an removing the cat is not the right thing to do.

i think he might be talking about taking out the resonator and replacing it with a straight pipe..............this isn't going to ruin "mother earth" and it gave me a little better gas mileage and maybe a 3-5 horses

i think he was talkingabout removing the muffler. That is LEGAL. Its called straight pipe. On our v6's it would soound like a honda civic though.

haha thats all I want it to have my explorer sound like a pissed off weedwhacker! lol

If he was talking about removing the muffler, it doesn't mean it is legal everywhere. It may be legal where you are but here in Arizona the law is clear:

28-955. Mufflers; noise and air pollution prevention; emissions control devices; civil penalty; exception

A. A motor vehicle shall be equipped at all times with a muffler that is in good working order and that is in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise.

B. A person shall not use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device on a motor vehicle on a highway.

C. The engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle shall be equipped and adjusted to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

D. Beginning with motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines of the 1968 model year, motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines shall be equipped with emissions control devices that meet the standards established by the director of environmental quality.

E. A person who violates this section is subject to a civil penalty of at least one hundred dollars.

F. This section does not apply to an electrically powered motor vehicle.

Here in Mesa, AZ there is a law on the books that makes it illegal to operate a vehicle on the road with a muffler that is louder than the muffler the vehicle originally came with. I don't know of anyone that has been cited by the law, so I put a Borla on mine.

SECTION 6-12-5: ENUMERATION OF OFFENSIVE OR EXCESSIVE NOISES:
. . .
3. Mufflers. No person shall operate or cause to operate any motor vehicle unless the exhaust system of such vehicle is: (2034)

(a) Free from defects which may affect sound level magnification; (2034)

(b) Equipped with a muffler; and (2034)

(c) Not modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the sound level emitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by a muffler of the type originally installed on the vehicle as manufactured for initial sale. (2034)

i dont know much about the exhaust laws around philly where i live, but i know that if you take your muffler off, it wont even pass the visual, and if a cop hears you driving around like that, they WILL pull you over and give your truck a visual inspection, and guess what? no muffler = big trouble. this happened to a friend of mine with an mid 80's S-10 pickup. i wouldnt recommend it. the performance gain from it is not worth the possible hassles with the law.

if you want an nice sound use an dual glass pack , i heard it this week under an X and it sounded pretty awesome, thouhg on high speeds like in excess of 45 mph it starts to sound an bit too high since the V6 runs higher rpms then an V8, but in slow traffic it sounds really cool....

If you want more hp and better mileage, and you think your cat converter is to blame, why not buy one of the aftermarket hi-flow converters?? They are 50 state legal, still keep emissions down, and they do boost the performance. I put one on my wife's Firebird when the original went out, and we noticed a definite improvement in hp and mpg (about 2 mpg better). It also gave the engine a little more growl.

jdraper, how much did it cost to install that cat converter? I got a brand new one from ford about a month ago and am considering the possibility of replacing it if i can get a new one cheap

The one for my wife's Firebird ran about $90 from Dead Link Removed .

how much do ones for the X cost

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the price is a between 2 and 3 hundred dollars because there are 2 of them in a row on the explorers. I hollowed mine out on my ranger when I had it. It did improve HP and MPGs but it wouldn't come close to passing smog. I wish I could take mine off, but they put them there for a reason. Now if you just buy another one and have a couple flanges so that you can change them out for when you go wheelin' or whatever that could work. plus when you don't have a cat you can run race gas.

Back