• Register Today It's free!

Motor and parts swap questions

Rwrighttt

Reaction score
City, State
md
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 twin sticks
Hey all, I have a manual trans manual t case 4 door and I just got a 91 2 door manual trans and manual t case today for $650. I really like the short wheelbase so thats why I got it. It has 200+ miles on it but for so cheap I had too. Worth $650 in parts alone. My question is how straight forward is a motor swap from a 92 ex into a 91 ex? My 92 ex motor is in better shape. Also I've heard of people using 4 dr leafs on a sport, but what about the coils? I've searched and no luck. I would love to keep the 2 door and just take all the parts off the 4 dr and scrap the rest. Im pretty mechanically inclined I like to think so I feel I can do it. I'm the only one I know to fit 34's with no lift lol thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

91 & 92 are pretty much equal and being a manual to manual, the swap should be very easy.

Check the part numbers, they should be compatible. I'd be tempted to use the 92 PCM and ICM as long as it doesn't have a TON more miles than the 91. Basically, go with the 'younger' of the two.

Check the part numbers, they should be compatible. I'd be tempted to use the 92 PCM and ICM as long as it doesn't have a TON more miles than the 91. Basically, go with the 'younger' of the two.

Yeah the 92 has about 50,000 less mileage and is more solid. Any idea about the spring on the 2 door from the 4 door?

The spring rates are different from 2 door to 4 door, and 4x4 and 2x4, at least there are multiple listings for each on rock auto. You can get a set of coil springs for $32. I just bought the 60 something dollar ones that are listed as heavy duty. They seem to be about 1/2" taller than stock from measurements I've seen, and lifted my truck almost a full inch compared to the old springs.

Back