Motorcraft oil pressure switches | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motorcraft oil pressure switches

I'd prefer to use the simple oil pressure sensor to light up a warning at the gauge, but have a digital readout behind the face. I bought one gauge for voltage I think, to see if the output circuit could be acquired. If it can, then a tiny LED display board can be mounted behind the gauge face, to display the actual voltage, or for other gauges, oil pressure, etc.

I began ages ago to convert my 98 Mercury to the 96-97 cluster for the blue, and to fix the speedometer. That didn't work as planned because the older used cluster had more issues than my 98 did. I stopped on that for a while, then stopped driving the truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've always disliked digital gauges. Give me analog any day. To me, digital gauges require an extra step in interpretation. With a digital display, you see a number and then have to think about whether the number your seeing is higher or lower than what's expected. I've owned a few vehicles that came with digital gauges (when they were all the rage in the late 80's thru the 90's) and always thought they were dumb. When I've installed analog gauges in my performance vehicles I'd orient them so that the needles pointed straight up when displaying optimal readings. I do like having an idiot light in conjunction with a gauge. In my rodded '54 F100 I installed an idiot light next to the VDO oil pressure gauge just to draw my attention to it if there's an issue. I also don't care for the monitor-type instrument cluster displays in the newer vehicles. Guess I'm old fashioned. JMHO... Now get off my lawn you damn kids!

Most quality digital gauges have programmable set points for their color. No extra thinking steps needed. Gauge turns yellow when you get to caution levels, red at warming level.

Most quality digital gauges have programmable set points for their color. No extra thinking steps needed. Gauge turns yellow when you get to caution levels, red at warming level.

Great - more unnecessary technology to break.

It’s a positive if it outlasts an analog gauge. Plus, it doesn’t need the added idiot light circuit.

LEDs and their drivers are getting better every year. If you really want reliability a hard plumbed fully mechanical gauge is the only way to go.

It’s a positive if it outlasts an analog gauge. Plus, it doesn’t need the added idiot light circuit.

LEDs and their drivers are getting better every year. If you really want reliability a hard plumbed fully mechanical gauge is the only way to go.

I've never had an analog gauge go bad, but to each his own. Now get of my lawn!

I've never had an analog gauge go bad, but to each his own. Now get of my lawn!
I’ve had several power sports tachometers(and temp gauges) fail, but they typically live pretty hard lives.

I love the 95-01 Explorer instrument cluster, it is the best I've ever had or seen. But I would like accurate readings from gauges, these look good but aren't fully helpful. If I could get a digital gauge to display behind the stock gauges, that would be the best of most gauge types.

Back