Muffler Data Chart | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Muffler Data Chart

I found this and wanted to share.

MufflerChart.gif

MufflerHPChart.jpg

Because I wanted a quiet, straight-thru designed muffler, I decided on the Borla Pro XS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stuck it in 2 places eh? Very nice....

Jakee, you're the sh*t for this. Props :thumbsup::thumbsup:

What kind of car/truck was tested in this?

Who knows. We've got the same chart over here in Mustang Land and have been asking that question for over a year. Post 4 on this thread has the same second picture Jakee posted.

And I'm warning ya'll now - This site don't censor. Just look at some of the avatars in other threads :rolleyes:
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/exhaust/9175-muffler-comparisions.html

-Andy
D.J.O.R. Netzhauptmann

Yeah, I ran a search on google. Looks like this chart is on every forum out there lol.

Price to horsepower comparison- looks like the Hooker Maxflow muffler wins. Cheap, quieter, and produces a nice amount of HP over the rest. I currently have a dynomax turbo which is a lot quieter than the ultraflow. I wonder how loud the maxflow is in comparison to my turbo....I know turbo mufflers dont flow that well, but they arent as loud as my old flowmaster. When running no cats and an offroad pipe with larger pipes, exhaust notes get a lot louder

EDIT: I just read this off summitracing about the Maxflow

As with all absorption-type silencers, the Maximum Flow mufflers will be most effective for sound control on lower-compression (8.5 to 1 and lower) motors with conservative camshafts and on applications using catalytic converters. The Maximum Flow mufflers flow either direction, allowing for easy installation.

Why is it better with Cats? Should I not even consider this?

I found this at the turboMustangs forum and a few others. If I can find the data in a few places, and they all say the same, it's should be worth something.

I have no idea what car this was tested on.

So do you think a straight-thru muffler like the MaxFlow really gives a approx 5 HP increase over the flowmaster on our trucks...or would this only really count on say a V8. The only reason I ask is our motors like backpressure.... but I wouldnt mind paying $50 for a muffler that will result in a 5hp gain to the wheels if it really would

I'm skeptical about that. I doubt very seriously that you would see that sort of gain @ a naturally aspirated state. Maybe you would with a turbo or supercharger but not N/A.

Then again, you never know unless you try.

I liked the Borla Pro XS and I was told to go with this one a few years back but I didn't listen. I will try it now because I need a hi-flowing muffler with the turbo, and I want to be as quite as possible. I was actually impressed with the borla data. It looks like it hangs with the dynomax and I've heard good things about that mufflers flowing abilities.

Just remember, don't just look at the MAX HP; look at every RPM. Especially the RPM mostly used on your vehicle.

I've been preaching magnaflow and hooker mufflers for years and looks like i was right. I always liked flowtech (flowtech = holley) warlock mufflers but they are exspensive same with borla

Very interesting chart.

One question: what Flowmaster muffler did they use?

It seems that a lot of Flowmaster mufflers were somehow omitted.

I believe these are only "Straight" thru designs or hi-flow. I'm not sure about flowmaster; I don't know much about them.

Agreed Al, I'm leaning towards two 70 series mufflers.

I wish I knew how to read the chart

I changed my stock system from behind the pre-cats, I replaced it all with dual 2.25" including 2 str8 thru mufflers, then a Y into single 3" before the diff. It is a bit noisier but I've picked up about 3.5 m.p.g. which is pretty awesome.
I expect that will improve a fraction tomorrow as the two small exhaust leaks since installation in September as I performed the surgery on my back in my shed will be removed down at the local muffler shop.
Including the work tomorrow it'll have cost me about $250.oo as I already owned the mufflers from off of my previous Ford
Scotty

I have a Dynomax Ultraflo on my Paseo :D

I have the stock muffler on my Explorer :shifty_ey

Here's a little something I found tonight. Muffler flow chart.

Coming from

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/4609-muffler-flow-chart-why-flowmaster.html

Enjoy

Muffler Flow Comparison Chart
Shown below are competitive mufflers versus DynoMax Ultra-Flo SS and Race Magnum Welded models. For Powertech Index cold-flow testing, the pressure drop across the muffler is held at 20.3" H2O and the flow rate (scfm) is recorded.

MODEL (Flow Rate- @ 20.3" H2O) Muffler Inlet Size

+ Edelbrock 5501 492 scfm 2.25"
$ Flowmaster 42440 483 scfm 2.25"
Race Magnum Welded 17216 711 scfm 2.25"

+ Edelbrock 5511 579 scfm 2.50"
$ Flowmaster 42540 352 scfm 2.50"
Ultra-Flo SS 17263 1133 scfm 2.50"
Race Magnum Welded 17218 1000 scfm 2.50"
# Borla 40600 836 scfm 2.50"

+ Edelbrock 5505 708 scfm 3.00"
$ Flowmaster 43040 392 scfm 3.00"
Ultra-Flo SS 17296 2200 scfm 3.00"
Race Magnum Welded 17220 2200 scfm 3.00"
# Borla 40450 1400 scfm 3.00"
# Borla 40575 1100 scfm 3.00"

@ Edelbrock 5535 562 scfm 3.50"
$ Flowmaster 435409 576 scfm 3.50"
Ultra-Flo SS 17268 2200 scfm 3.50"
Race Magnum Welded 17224 2200 scfm 3.50"
# Borla 40615 854 scfm 3.50"

@ Edelbrock 5537 1400 scfm 4.00"
* Flowmaster 54040-10 634 scfm 4.00"
Race Magnum Welded 17225 2600 scfm 4.00"
# Borla 40741 1450 scfm 4.00"

+ Edelbrock General Application Series
@ Edelbrock Victor Series Race
$ Flowmaster 40 Series ( 2 Chamber)
* Flowmaster Delta Force Race Series
# Borla XR-1 Racing Series (Round or Oval)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it at all possible to run dual exhaust in a 2003 ford explorer eddie bauer 4.6L? Including two cats and mufflers? I Have had my explorer for a little over a year and i have been slowly adding things to help boost performance and HP. I have already purchased a set of headers and 1 high flow cat and 1 flowmaster 40, is it at all possible to install 2 cat and 2 mufflers? Im not sure if there is enough room under there, or if it would even be worth it. I was also given a set of underdrive pulleys form a friend of mine and they were origionally for a F-150. The packaging says that it will work for 4.6 thru 5.4 Liter. Will they work for my Explorer?

Back