my explorer floats!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my explorer floats!!

everybody always sees pics of my EX doin this
jump.jpg

Well my rig also floats well for a few minutes, i was playin in the water holes at silver lake sand dunes drivin in water up to my hood deep, and i went into this hole slow (didn't want a big wave) and as i was goin in my frt kept goin down until it suddenly floated up and i lost contact with ground, i threw it in reverse and no wheels on the grd, just alot of splashing, i started to move sideways in the water, and by that time i decided to shut down the engine (which was runnin fine, no water taken in because of my snorkel) and bail out, the water had my center console completely submerged, Wife was in back seat NOT HAPPY, so i crawled through the window jumped on the rear bumber tossed the strap to Holshotracer who was in the bed of 94ranger0n35's truck and pulled me out, i let all the water out, and fired it up and drove off, played a little more then drove the 100 miles home wet ass and all, i did change my engine oil twice on the way though, water got into the engine through the dipstick tube

pokerrunandpriorsunday182.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

crazy haha.

whoops lol, now thats a floater!:D

hope you have extended breathers
time to change, diffs, trans, and t case fluids...

So my guess is the next project will include a inboard/outboard?

the only thing that got water in was engine & interior (my centerconsole was completely under water as with my Digi Camera in it) and that was through the dipstick tube, my trans, t-case and diffs are all A-Okay, thankfully i raised the ecm up off the floor a long while back

started it right up with no hesititaion after getting pulled out, started up played a while, changed the oil (twice) and drove 100 miles homean hour later

how do you know exactly? just curious......

because when i drain the fluids and change them, i know what they should and shouldn't look like, a benefit of being an ASE certed Tech

and all my breathers are at or above the hood line, all but the rear diff is vented to the top of the firewall near my wiper motor and the rear diff is vented to the top of my LR brake light

just making sure man
Even if my breathers are extended (they are) if my truck sat in that deep of water for more then 5 minutes or so I would drain and fill...but thats just me
How do you check the diffs without draining them?

i pulled the rear cover, and on my frt diff i installed a drain plug in the D35 housing, besides when i pull the fill plugs and its not over full then in theory it would not have got water into it, because it would be overfull and pour out when the plug is removed, or if i stick my finger through the hole and get some gear oil on it and its not milkshake in appearance, but i change my fluids after i drive through deep water everytime anyway just to be safe

Ah okay thats what i was getting at, not trying to discount you just didnt want to see a member leave water in there and get costly repairs......but you obviously already know that so I will shut up now :)

Nice whoops!! Glad you had the snorkle and other deep water mods :thumbsup:

Hey, at least ya washed the truck off good :p: .

wow..sounds like you had an exciting day

Babysitting my baby bro right now, scrolled down to your submerged pic and he points and yells out "Boat! Boat!". Looks like you had some fun over there!

That's even deeper than mine! :)

<-----------------------------

you got to see how far that that thing shoots water out of the tail pipe when he fired it up the first time. :eek:

ROFLOL!!! Looks like a blast!

Where was that at? By where the sand drags normally are?

These were from two years ago:

515063.jpg

This was the 'normal' starting line that trip:
515036.jpg

It was all about this deep:
515031.jpg

This is looking down the 'normal' drag strip from the pedestrian side...
461887.jpg

Guess the water level is back up.

-Joe

uhmm you guys should have got ahold of me, i would have made it out. Next time you go to silver tell holeshotracer to beep me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

we were up their for a charity poker off-road pig roast thing near the dunes in crystal valley, and sunday before we went home we thought we would visit the dunes one last time

pictures from the rest of the weekend

Back