My First Explorer, 2000 EB | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My First Explorer, 2000 EB

As per the instructions above here's the info:
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition 5.0
I'm from Parsons KS and you can contact me easily through a PM here.

Well, they aren't good pics. They were provided by the seller using a cell phone. But this is my 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. I am going to "visit" it today at the sellers house and pull the radiator. My next day off I get to install a new one (would do them both today, but had to order the radiator). Jon (Turdle) has already provided me with the link to the radiator replacement thread. (Thanks again Jon)

Mods will be slow due to funding and the need to finish putting an engine in my other vehicle (seen below). Probably just go with exhaust and slightly more aggresive tires when funds allow. Any suggestions for basic upgrades? LOL I'm a seasoned Veteran with Thunderbirds, but a newbie with Explorers.

Explorer01.jpg

Explorer02.jpg

Explorer03.jpg

Explorer04.jpg

Explorer05.jpg

Explorer06.jpg

Explorer07.jpg

My other vehicle can be seen here:

GT_Touched_SM.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well,
I think it is real nice of you to hang back and wait for the jeeps to catch up to you. You are one heck of a guy for doing that.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Wow what a day... Had a day off of work and figured I'd get some work done to Lil Eddie that I'd been putting off.
I installed new lights on the fenders, the first were too dim and the next too large. These are goldilocks lights. Hehe. That didnt take long so I got started installing the new Pro Comp shocks I'd bought a couple months ago. I got it up on Jack stands, the wheel off and the drivers side shock off to discover the Procomps wouldn't fit, they rubbed against the axle shaft. Grrrr... got a quick email off to shockwhatever dot com that I'd ordered them from and remembered I'd ordered some KYB Monomax shocks through NAPA before I got the Pro Comps... and they were still there. So I raced off to NAPA on my day off to pick them up. Got them paid for them got in the Expedition and it wont start... first time EVER. Dash back inside, grab the battery tester, and run a test... bad battery. Well that sucks but 90 bucks later I've got a fresh NAPA battery. (Gotta love employee discounts).
Got the new battery in, and hit the ignition; nothing. Did some quick checks and yep.. bad starter. I run in and get a starter for another 90 bucks (plus core). Now the fun begins. Call the wife and she brings me my floor jack, jack stands and tools. I crawl under the truck and.... I'll just cut to the end. There is a bolt holding the starter in on an 07 Expedition that cannot be reached by humans. A 1/4" drive will get there but you cant reach the tool to apply any torque. A 3/8" drive is too big to get onto the bolt and there is a shield around the bolt preventing a box or open end wrench from getting to it. The designers at Ford are Cruel Evil people. It was 8:30pm before I got home via my wife coming to get me and 10pm before I got the Explorer done so I cam drive it to work tomorrow where I'll be able to see the Expedition but not work on it cause I'll be working.
Well I'm off to the showers. Have a great weekend all!

Good news! One of our commercial customers (a mechanic for them anyway) called for parts. I told him of my plight and he loaned me a flex head, 1/4" drive ratchet that's longer than the average 3/8" drive. Now just gotta find time to use it!

I must have done something right.
One of the NAPA drivers, and an ASE certified mechanic who stopped to buy parts (we deal with him often) actually took the time to crawl under my truck in the parking lot and replace the starter. And they wouldn't even let me buy them lunch!

The new Winch got a test last weekend. I'd been out doing a night run of Sycamore Creek and when I returned to the camp area at the trailhead I found this...
I stopped and ensured everyone was OK. Then I went up to the bank on the right and pulled the jeep so the right side wheels were on the bank, it was then pulled by another winch on the opposite side till it was stable on its wheels. There was more involved than that but you get the idea.
The trail was another story in itself. LoL

20210917_222319.jpg

I did not read all 21 pages of this post. However as far as how the awd works vs 4x4 i cant not tell a difference other than no low range and you cant be in 2wd, i have not done any hard core off roading but in some sticky clay mud about idk 4-6 inches deep i held my phone out the window recording and when i would blip the throttle it instantly spun all 4 wheels, another test i guess you could say when it snowed here in south east Texas my neighbor put his ranger in the ditch, and when pulling him out i dug 4 holes down to the dirt and after he started moving witch put me back on snow/ice i slide all over the place ie all 4 spinning, i feel the awd works great i just see it as a problem or not on par for serious off roading but more than capable for any situation or trail you can half plan out.

The AWD does work great for what it is designed for. I handles Snow, sand, etc (loose surfaces) very well. It isn't designed for Off roading so much. Off roading pretty much demands low range and durability under harsh use. The AWD just can't do it. The 4406 is durable, has low range, and the option for 2WD which is nice when you don't need 4WD or AWD.

I agree and when mine does finally have issue i will be putting in the manual Tcase but at almost 300k miles its still holding strong so idk might be awhile lol

and i guess i should have worded that another way, no dont go sky high and think your gonna rock crawl in your awd, camping trips, trials you know arnt crazy, mild mud, sand, snow, ect no problem. I was probably pushing it yanking that truck out of the ditch risking grabbing traction suddenly but it was cold and 1am i was tired and he was coming in on leave so it was a get it done moment haha

Did you end up notching the provided plate that would have mounted to your inner frame horn about 1.5" to get up and over the end of the frame? I just bought a Gen 2 kit and it looks like I need to notch that inner mounting plate to the top of the upper slotted hole (bottom hole in your pic).

No, any notches you see were done by me as part of raising the factory bumper for the 2.125" body lift. If I recall correctly, I needed clearance for the bolts holding the pieces I used to raise the bumper. I had Matt weld braces behind the bracket to make sure the notches didn't weaken them when I put the new bumper on.

Just placed an order for a rear bumper, spare tire mount, and front skid plate. :bounce: I'm so anxious!

Other, lesser, goodies will be ordered as well...

And I have collected all the steel tubing I'll need for the roof rack, so I'll be starting that soon.

Got the skid plate in. It was a quick and easy install.

20211114_142212.jpg

Thanks, I'm so glad to have it in. Seems like my crossmember has taken a real beating lately. Though I am concerned that the bolts threaded into the relatively thin frame steel won't have enough grip in a hard impact. Any thoughts?

Just installed a new Synthetic rope on my winch. Rated at 25,000 lbs, 92ft long 1/2 in rope. It is so much lighter than the cable! I think I'll keep the cable just in case I need extra length, though I'll have to make sure I have a sturdy, safe loop at the end that currently has a connection for the bolt in the winch.

Any tips on how to cut the cable and put a loop on the endof it safely and securely?

I wouldn't try that. Just sell it, or find another use for it. Like a backyard zip line.

You can buy a synthetic extension line that has soft shackle ends on it, for simple use. Much safer, and lighter.

Back