Rebuilding a Dana 44 Instruction Set | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilding a Dana 44 Instruction Set

ohe_boy

Reaction score
City, State
Kane'ohe, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4x4 XLT
Anybody have any links (or anything else) that'll explain/show a step by step process on rebuilding a dana 44? Including where and how to put in seals, bearings, etc...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody got links to exploded views?

Here is a good link with some good info and pics on it.
Mr. N's
and here is a pic i have.

Attachments

• d44.jpg
    d44.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,052

I used the same thing as CP, as well as my Haynes manual I got for the f150's of that year. Very helpful.

I also found these to be helpful. But What I need help is more at the beginning part of the assembly where the axle shafts come into play!

Is there anything that goes between the housing/knuckle and the inner axle shaft? There seems to be a stationary object (knuckle/housing) rubbing against a moving object (inner axle shaft). Is there somekind of slinger, seal, etc... that seperates the knuckle/housing and the inner axle shaft?

I have a set of spindle seals and axle slingers for the outer axle shafts that seperates it (moving object) from the spindle (stationary object).

Anybody rebuilt the dana44 from the axle shafts?

Im not sure where you are talkin about. When you pull the carrier out of the diff there are seals just outside of the bearing caps to keep teh gear oil in the diff. At the outer end by the big C the ball joints mount to there is no seal on my waggy dana 44. Not sure if that what you are talking about though.

Yah I am talking about the end part of the axle housing where you refer it to the big C, the knuckle! I was wondering if there is something that goes there so that the axle shaft is not rubbing on the knuckle.

big10.jpg

these are the axle shafts from CP's post. The shafts closest are the outer shafts and have seals and other stuffs on them which all goes into the spindle. Then you got the u-joints behind them and then the inner axle shafts which go into the axle housing. but you notice that there are no bearings or seals or anything before the yoke.

Is there supposed to be one?

I think this is what I am trying to get at!

Axle seal link

Here is the axle tube seals:
DSC09409.jpg

Insert into tube:
DSC09410.jpg

Insert shaft into seal and tube:
DSC09416.jpg

Apply grease to seal via zerk fitting:
DSC09420.jpg

My dana 44 doesnt have a seal out there. I would eventually like to put one there to keep crap from filling up the axle tub.

So you mean there is nothing there at all!?!? Man I would hate to see whats inside a axle tube!

With this type of setup doesn't the axle shaft come in contact with the tube just where it sticks out of the knuckle?

Nothing at all :( I was kind of suprised when I pulled it apart and saw that. saw it as the exact spot a ton of mud and dirt will build up at. I have seen those seals made my alloy usa. Thuy look nice but Im not sure what axles they make them for other the the jeep dana 30. Basically the spindle and the hub hold the outer shaft in place. Then with the Ujoint attaching both axles together it keeps the inner shaft from wobbling around to much cause the other end is splined into the carrier. I believe ther is probably a bit of free play in it to allow some differnces in clearnces.

Gotcha! Man this whole time I was looking around my ordered parts for some type of seal or bearing trying to figure out what ther hell goes in there!

Back