• Register Today It's free!

My future project

Erki

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 '47 p/u Explorer
As I said in my intro I'm planning to put my custom 47 ford pickup on my recently acquired 91 Explorer 4x4 chassis. My plan is to build up a fun weekend toy. 35" tires and a nice lift to accommodate. I have already planned to do an axle flip for the rear which I read gets around 5 to 5.5" lift. For the front Ive seen the 4" lift kits but that might leave a bit of rake to the overall look. I've seen the 5.5 lift but couldn't find a picture to how the setup works. Is it 5.5 lift springs or does it use the 4" with a spacer? I like the level look rather than the back sitting higher. I don't intend to haul a trailer with this truck. Also Ive been keeping an eye on the local ads looking for wheels and tires. What backspacing should I be looking for to clear 33x12.5 from the suspension? And the 91 has a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern right? Thanks in advance, Sorry for all the questions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im pritty sure all explorers have a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern

The Superlift 5.5" lift uses drop brackets and coils springs just like the other lifts. Skyjacker makes a 6" as well. If you are doing a SOA in the rear, then any Ranger front lift for the same years will work.

As far as clearing 35's goes... that all depends on that body you're putting on... without the Explorer body it's hard to say what it will take to clear 35's. you may be able ro run them with no lift. I would say get the body on the frame, then start figuring out a lift. This is a very custom project that you'll probably have to figure out most of this stuff yourself as it's probably never been done...

I can clear 35's on my Ex with the 5.5" lift and some mild trimming... but that's with the Explorer body... not a '47 Ford. Those pack some big wheel wells.

The Superlift 5.5" lift uses drop brackets and coils springs just like the other lifts. Skyjacker makes a 6" as well. If you are doing a SOA in the rear, then any Ranger front lift for the same years will work.

As far as clearing 35's goes... that all depends on that body you're putting on... without the Explorer body it's hard to say what it will take to clear 35's. you may be able ro run them with no lift. I would say get the body on the frame, then start figuring out a lift. This is a very custom project that you'll probably have to figure out most of this stuff yourself as it's probably never been done...

I can clear 35's on my Ex with the 5.5" lift and some mild trimming... but that's with the Explorer body... not a '47 Ford. Those pack some big wheel wells.

Thanks, Yeah Its going to be a bit of fabricating to make it all fit. Thanks again for the info.

Here's the truck going on top. 47 cab with 41 merc car front end. Box is yet to be made.

3092_74111457662_500812662_1696909_.jpg

3092_74110677662_500812662_1696905_.jpg

Back