My latest project: 1970 Dodge Dart 512 C.I. Bracket Racer | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My latest project: 1970 Dodge Dart 512 C.I. Bracket Racer

Some of you may remember that I used to have a 1972 Dodge Dart which I drag raced.

DSC_0322.jpg

Well, I got the itch to get back into racing:burnout: Our new house is only 3 miles from the Speedworld racetrack and I can faintly hear them running the cars from our house. It was just too much for me to bare;) I haven't been doing much in the way of local fourwheeling, so I thought drag racing would give me something to do on the weekends.

A couple weeks ago I bought a 1970 Dodge Dart off of E-bay. The car was located in New Jersey, a mere 2500 miles from home:eek: I decided this was the right car for me mainly because I really needed to get out of the house on my own for a couple weeks and this was just the excuse I needed;)

The car is going to be stripped and repainted. It will get new quarter panels, at least one rocker, one floorpan, new door hinges, fiberglass hood, bumpers, and most likely trunk lid as well.

The new color will most likely be orange, but it just may end up being red, like my old one. Plans for it include a 650HP, 512 CI, big block Mopar and an automatic transmission. I'm just not sure if it will be from BB or SB or whether or not it will even be a Mopar:eek: I plan on ditching the torsion bar front suspension for an aftermarket K member which gives you rack and pinion steering, upgraded brakes, and the choice of coilover shocks or airbag suspension.

The rear end in the car right now is a trussed Mopar 8 3/4", with a three link suspension and coilovers.

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0403.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

DSC_0407.jpg

DSC_0411.jpg

DSC_0412.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow thats red! Looks fantabulous.

First thing that popped into mind when I saw the color - the girl from Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Jessica Rabbit:D

***** Red;)

Honda VFR red.

Resale Red:rolleyes:

First car was Rally Red, purchased that way new by my Grandma in 1972. She had good taste. Rally red with black interior and black roof. Sure looked better than any of the other Dart's on the road...

Dead Link Removed

Rick man that red LOOKS GREAT!!! Will sure beable to find it in a crowd!!

NICE! That car will be sweet.
My son Matt sent me a link to this, I think he misses his Scamp:(
Matts74Scamp.jpg

I AM a lil partial to the red:D

_DrivSidePaint1.jpg

ETown2009_Boss69x450.jpg

Nice Mustang! What's your combo??

Nice Mustang! What's your combo??

I bought the car from original owner 10 years ago, man time flys.
It had a homemade rollbar, blown 351C, proshifted toploader, and had been bracket raced from 1970-1982.
I took it to my buddies chassis shop for "Frame connectors and a rollbar". He still tells everyone that.....
Just snowballed from there.Car is 25.5 Cert.
Paint and body work by 2 friends, they are very talented.......Finished car in summer of '07.
I put a 514 in it out of a buddys car, burned it up 3 times 1st year.
Now has a purpose built NMCA Xtreme Street Motor from BTR Performance.
522 BBF, TrickFlow A460 Heads, Single Stage Fogger, FB Stage4 Glide, Strange 9 inch, 35 SPl Axles, Ladder Bars......the money pit.

I would love to pickup a Dart/Scamp like you got and put it together to race.
Get Matt to run it.
I always liked that body style. Your car is gonna be sweet.
I tried to jump through this post.....long.
Did you do the cage and chassis work yourself?
Looks great from what I can see.
Stock suspension?

I had some help with the roll cage. I did the subframe connectors, and spring relocation myself. I'm going to be running Caltrac bars and monoleafs. Front end is still torsion bar.

2:thumbsup: WOW it look great !!!!!!!

Thanks! I should be posting an update photo today. I've been wet sanding and just starting buffing this weekend. The finish looks great!!

Like looking into a red mirror...
DSC_2398.jpg

That's not even as good as it's going to get. I've only used two components of the buffing system. There is one left to go. Polish and a good wax after the paint cures will even bring out more depth:eek:

Wow.

Damn, I sold my 72' dart 4-door six months ago! It was all original, baby-**** yellow, and only had 75K on the odometer! I got it for my son, but he decided that he would rather use it to hold down the end of the driveway than actually put it on the road, so we ended up selling it. I do miss it, though!

Back