dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
Yeah!!!!! :bounce:
I picked up my trucks new front end tonight ( '96 XJ Hp D30, non-vacuum, 297x shafts). It's in need of some TLC, but was in good running condition before it got chopped out from under the Jeep it belonged to. It looks rather grimy as it has quite the layer of mud and some grease. As well as a ton of brake fluid from chopping those brake lines. I pulled absolutely everything that was attached to the axle just in case it proves useful when the actual swap comes along.

For now the axle build-up is my summer project in between fishing/camping trips. I have no plans on starting the swap untill next winterish. I started this thread now though as I know so little, and I hope to gain all of your support as I start rebuilding the axle. It'll be a long running thread as this will be a slow project (wilderness adventures get most of my money in the summer).

Generally my plans are to refresh/rebuild the axle bit by bit while also collecting parts for the bigger project. Right now I just need to remove all the crap bolted to it and go to town with a wire wheel and a can of por-15 (or rustoleum :D ) then comes gears, seals, new bearings, possibly new alloy shafts, slotted rotors, etc......

Any advice is of course very much welcomed :p

201223-9-05_new_toys_0011.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I was popping the sway bar end links off this morning I had to go look under my ex. What I noticed is that the jeep and explorer front sway bars mount identically. Well almost.

This makes me assume that I can order a set of end links that are just 6-7" longer and reuse my bar after the swap. Am I correct in this??

congrats on getting the axle. leafs? coils? Seems like your thinking is correct on the sway bar.

I'll be using coils, and am still debating between the merits of a three-link suspension or radius arm.

This axle came from underneath a "Michigan" Jeep, and man some of those bolts are glued in there!!!!!!! I've soaked it with deep creep, but in the end the impact wrench is pretty much useless and the angle grinder is becoming my new best friend.

So far all I have managed to remove is the swaybar and 1 end link as well as the driver side upper and lower control arms. Sadly I sheared off 3 bolts and about exhausted myself in the process :rolleyes: Now I know that I'm just going to grind the bolt heads off and hammer them out.

Once it is all dissasembled it should be easier to lug out to the driveway for the good ol' Foamy engine bright and scrub brush. I am finding a bit of rust of course, so I'll likely have to hit it all with a wire wheel and paint the whole thing as well. I think the axle and knuckles will see a can of black while all the steering and calipers will turn blue to match my blue Wild Horse 5.5" springs :p

There must be over an inch of mud caked in places on this thing. They must have taken it out for a bit of playing before I came down to chop the axle off :rolleyes:

But first things first. :hammer:
(we need a sawzall or grinder smilie :D )

dreamr said:
This makes me assume that I can order a set of end links that are just 6-7" longer and reuse my bar after the swap. Am I correct in this??
Our stock bar is rather thick, and I imagine will be VERY stiff connected to a solid axle. I think a better Idea would be to mount the XJ bar to the stock mounts.

dreamr said:
I'll be using coils, and am still debating between the merits of a three-link suspension or radius arm.
:confused: A radius arm setup IS a three link.

Posting for updates and more pics. Good luck on the new project! :)

See told y'all I was clueless :D

So explain it all to me so I am no longer clueless.
I was under the impression that a radius arm setup had two frame mounting points for the arms that then attached to the axle in two places.
Where as a three link had the two control arms attached to the frame and axle as well as a third from the dif to the frame. with the stock XJ there is a fourth control arm making it a 4-link. :confused:

As to the sway bar, that makes sense as my stock bar is a bit thicker than the XJ's bar.

dreamr said:
Yeah!!!!! :bounce:
Right now I just need to remove all the crap bolted to it and go to town with a wire wheel and a can of por-15 (or rustoleum :D ) then comes gears, seals, new bearings, possibly new alloy shafts, slotted rotors, etc......

Any advice is of course very much welcomed :p

201223-9-05_new_toys_0011.jpg
Paint it WHITE! :D :p

Albino 94LTD said:
Paint it WHITE! :D :p

lol
That would go well with my deep wedgewood paint :D
Not to mention it'll be brown in a matter of a few weeks after install anyway ;)

dreamr said:
Once it is all dissasembled it should be easier to lug out to the driveway for the good ol' Foamy engine bright and scrub brush. I am finding a bit of rust of course, so I'll likely have to hit it all with a wire wheel and paint the whole thing as well. I think the axle and knuckles will see a can of black while all the steering and calipers will turn blue to match my blue Wild Horse 5.5" springs

But that should blend well :D
Maybe color match the diff cover to the body J/K :confused:

Jefe said:

Yeah..................................I have so much more to learn........................

I did answer my own question after your post at least.....Well let me
re-phrase that. The SAS registry answered that particular question.

C-mon though don't you all want to just make it easy on me and tell me everything I need to know? :D :p

I think this project would be very nice. I can't wait to see the outcome of it. You're truck is already nice and you'll be making it a lot nicer. What kind of tires (including sizes) are you hoping to run. I think this things going to look bad @$$! Keep up and keep it black! Not white!

-Drew

Thanks for the kind words.

Sadly I have been slacking on this project and playing with my new mini rockcrawler way too much :D

As to tires, the goal is to keep the lift as low as possible (well as close to 6" as possible) So I'll ideally maintain my current 33" BFG Mt's and possibly jump to 35's. If I do end up going up a size I'll likely switch back to the BFG AT's as they did so much better in the city with not a lot worse offroad performance. But we'll see sometime around next winter or spring.

OK couple things. First is gearing and locker. Do it all at once. Pick the gear ratio you want to have from now on and put them in. Do a locker at the same time or you will regret it later.

For the sway bar links there is an easy solution that costs almost nothing. For my rear sway bar the links were cut and pieces of black pipe welded in to make them longer. No they arent braking anytime soon. This was the sugestion (and execution) of someone who has done this on another X and has been that way for a while. Obviously the bar doesnt stay on when wheeling.

Thanks Rookie
I am actually not sure if I want to lock it or not. I know that I will go with a 4,56 ring and pinion as it should easily accomodate 35's if I make the jump up in size, and this helps me avoid a bit of cost since my 8.8 already carries a 4.56 gear set and is locked. Hmm it all really depends on if the carrier has to be replaced with the jump in gear size. I still haven't popped the diff open to peek in there. I just hope it is all soundlol. If it does need a new carrier I might as well throw a selectable locker in there that replaces the carrier anyway.

A deffinate thanks for the sway bar tip. I hate to put a bar on there, but as many hiway and city miles as this rig sees it will be necessary.

Quick question for you all.
Will the Jeep brake callipers work with my Explorer system, or on the other side of that coin will my Explorer Calipers work on the XJ rotors???

I know, I know research, but I am getting burnt out on reading about everything but the things I need to know for this particular axle. And at the rate I am going with my self education (search feature of many a site) I might as well just dish out the big bucks to have someone else do it all, though I want the experience and knowledge.

dreamr said:
Quick question for you all.
Will the Jeep brake callipers work with my Explorer system, or on the other side of that coin will my Explorer Calipers work on the XJ rotors???
Yes, and No
I ran the D30 for about a month I think. The D30 brakes worked just about as well as stock.

Thanks Jefe.
As I have started on tearing apart the axle I've found some stuff to be in pretty bad shape, while other has been fine. The brake calipers luckily are part of the good stuff so I am glad I can clean them up and reuse them. I think I am going to try and splice in the ABS sensors to see if they will work as well. I doubt they will, but it may be worth a try.

When you get ready to have your gears setup, I have one of the mechanics number from the GM dealership in Longview, he will setup up a axle for $200

I wouldnt splice the abs sensor. If the tones are different you will throw the abs into a fit and it will feel like stopping on gravel all the time. Just leave it out. ABS is for those who dont know how to stop anyway

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

but w/o the front Abs sensor, the computer will have no way of knowing how fast the vehicle is moving.. i forgot who did the SAS to his Ranger from Michigan but this was one of the problems he ran into with his a wago d44.

Back