My new axle (and build-up) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My new axle (and build-up)

jrgaylor said:
I have found completeoffroad.com has had the best prices and low shipping costs for my axle build ups, once you know what parts you want send them a email and ask for there best shipped price :thumbsup:
So when you going to do the swap?

Thanks for the parts tips Joe.

As to the actual Swap there is not a specific time set. First money is my part in the picture, and it is tight with having to add a daily driver or rental car to the mess of purchases. I hope to have the axle ready to roll by mid August and hopefully to have figured out transportation. The rest is up to an unnamed person ;) to set a date with me.

Likely late fall or early winter though. I could have started now, but deliberatley delayed my axle rebuild to allow for my summer outdoor adventures. In the end it'll be a race to get it done before my current IFS ball joints completely fail. I might have a driver side CV thinking about it too. I picked up a used part for the tool box just in case to cripple home with if it comes down to it.

I still need to find that money tree :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah my first new parts and tools have finally arrived :D

Ok I know nothing fancy to get excited about, but I get excited over little things :D
Still a lot to buy, but little by little, paycheck by paycheck it'll come together.

Todays arrivals;

Upper and Lower Ball Joints for both sides

New brake pads (just cheap OEM replacement for now as I forsee slotted rotors after the swap is done)

New Spicer 297X axle shaft U-Joints

Ball Joint Press

Pickle Fork (broke my old one)

Cotter Pin set from Harbor freight

005-07-10_Fortune_Creek_wheeling_and_camping_024_1.jpg

SOA for sure. Why spend extra money on leaves when it's not necessary? And as stated before SOA rocks for ground clearance. Axle wrap shouldn't be a big deal, especially if you don't use blocks. Never had an issue with it on mine.

A question for those of you with a bit of jeep knowledge. How do you press the lower balljoints in??? They go in backwards meaning that the force is against the side with the pin. I tried a couple different methods and succeeded in pressing it in but also in ripping a whole in the boot. Can I put the pressure on the pin itself? Or will that ruin the ball joint????

The uppers press in the opposite way with the force being exertend on the base of the joint so no worries there, it's just those dang lowers......

All of the ball joints I have put in, the lowers go in first because you need access through the top hole to use the press correctly.
You can get replacement boots for your ball joints, Inormally remove mine during installation and if any thing get in them I put in some grease and wipe off the excess and debris before putting the boot back on

dreamr said:
How do you press the lower balljoints in???
Your ball joint press should have a ring that fits around the 'pin' of the joint and pushes against the lip on the body of the joint.

Thanks guys.

Joe
Why didn't I take that boot off. :confused:
Thanks for the tip and the info about being able to buy just the boot.

Jefe
The three rings that came with my press are either way to big, too big by a bit, or just a touch to small. However if I remove the boot that may make the smallest one work well.

Thanks again guys :thumbsup:

dreamr said:
The three rings that came with my press are either way to big, too big by a bit, or just a touch to small.
Hmm. . must be a Jeep thing. You better just throw away that axle and go get yourself a D44 so you can use that balljoing press properly. :D

Jefe said:
Hmm. . must be a Jeep thing. You better just throw away that axle and go get yourself a D44 so you can use that balljoing press properly. :D

I have entertained that though, but I have too much money invested at this point. :D

Looks good. Anymore progress?

hehe

Well I have managed to suspend it nicely from the garage rafters.

I did get all of the balljoints pressed in.....
The knuckles like to fight going back on.. Actually just the BJ likes to spin instead of holding still long enough to get the nut on..

In short it hangs in the top of the garage with all new pats. The knuckles are mounted. The brake calipers are all cleaned up and pretty with freshly turned rotors and new pads. They sit beside the cleaned up axle shafts with new joints and outer dust sheilds. It needs gears and I am done........... yet.........

There is this Mustang sitting in the garage that looks like so much more fun to play with...............................

When I originall made the decision to do an SAS I planned on starting it around this time of year.....
Now I sit here thinking I may just finish the axle and let it collect dust for a while.

I have taken my truck through areas of the cascades that I would prefer not to go through again. While I still loath my IFS I have found it to be sufficent and relatively strong throughout it all. I still would prefer the travel allowed me with the use of a solid axle, but for now I will wait. Besides I reallly want to get started on the Mustang.

As for the Ex it is just getting all new higher quality components up there (TRE, BJ's, and Upper control arms)

I'll re-awaken this thread when I start feeling frisky with a bit of offroad fever again.....

Wow! Dreamr, you're doing a helluva job cleaning up MY axle, but I need 4.10 in it not 4.56!!! :nono: I'll be up there next winter so we can bolt it in! ;)

J/K man. Nice work so far :D I might have to come up just to steal it, er drool. :cool:

have you heard more from you know who?

they are not very responsive....I have sent several e-mails and only very rarely get a response. Last I heard they still wanted to , but had advised that the fall is a very busy season for them so we would be looking at winter. I may still go through with it if I get a response.......If not I'll just keep procrastinating and eventually start fabbing up all the parts for a swap on my own.

Put it in the Mustang :D

Is it Finished yet........?

93liftedXLT said:
Is it Finished yet........?

Well................
Where was I before I hung it up to work on the Mustang???

-Entire Assembly wire wheeled free of rust and crud.
-Re- painted
-New axle shaft joints
-New Ball Joints (kinda mangled a boot though that I haven't replaced)
-calipers are reuseable
-rotors were turned
-New pads in a box
-The spindles and dustshields were also cleaned up and painted

Needs
-Hubs (were on back order for 2 months. I finally cancelled it and spent the money elsewhere.
-axle shaft dustshields (damn 5 dollar part i always forget)
-Gears are fine, but way to high for me. needs 4.56 with all new bearings
-ball joint dustshield

If the steering is re-used the joint would need replaced as would the outre TRE. I don't really like the Jeep setup so was looking to something else likely.

hmm I am sure I forget somethings but there's the gist.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I might of missed this part, are you running leafs or coils ?

Back