My trip to the drag strip | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My trip to the drag strip

Well after having been rained out for the last 3 months I finally got a chance to take the Mountaineer to the strip and make a couple of passes. Lets just say I was pretty disappointed in the results. My old 91 with the slug 4.0 ohv, ran 18 seconds a couple of years ago. So I was hoping for a lot better. Hopefully the headers will help out.

Here's my best time. (I'll post scans of all 3 slips when my brother wakes up)
Well the scanner doesn't like the receipt paper, I'll try to figure out a way to get them scanned tomorrow.

Best run (second run)
R/T .588
60' 2.451
330' 7.093
1/8 10.926
MPH 64.73
1000' 14.193
1/4 16.982
MPH 80.53

1st run
R/T .511
60' 2.51
330' 7.155
1/8 10.98
MPH 64.72
1000 14.256
1/4 17.049
MPH 80.43

3rd Run
R/T .608
60' 2.536
330' 7.167
1/8 10.984
MPH 65.01
1000' 14.244
1/4 17.034
MPH 80.51

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

MarineSniper could whoop all your ***** with his bone stock First Gen 4 door :D :p:

Couldn't help myself.

So far ive been able to run low 13s with mild bolt on, a torque conv 3000, rear cats remove, mac exhace & cold air kit, trick flows stg 1 cam and my favorite power adder nitros 150 shot and lanching at 3000 rpm the truck does 1.8 60 ft and runs or the best run of the day 13.02 and the worst is 13.46 at 104 with no headers either the truck has the ability to go 12.80 with a tune and headers

So far ive been able to run low 13s with mild bolt on, a torque conv 3000, rear cats remove, mac exhace & cold air kit, trick flows stg 1 cam and my favorite power adder nitros 150 shot and lanching at 3000 rpm the truck does 1.8 60 ft and runs or the best run of the day 13.02 and the worst is 13.46 at 104 with no headers either the truck has the ability to go 12.80 with a tune and headers

Please tell us that you have fuel mods with that 150 shot. Walbro 255lph fuel pump???

Be careful with that stocker 5.0 block. Good times for an X.

I do i have a 255lph fuel pump & the nitros kit is a wet kit, with the big solenoids, i have spray a 200 shot but it back fires alot , ive even made my k&n look like as if it was bregnat, i think the truck now with the new mods it will go mid to low 12s with the new patriot heads & intake from trick flow & roller rockers torque monster headers cant wait

I do i have a 255lph fuel pump & the nitros kit is a wet kit, with the big solenoids, i have spray a 200 shot but it back fires alot , ive even made my k&n look like as if it was bregnat, i think the truck now with the new mods it will go mid to low 12s with the new patriot heads & intake from trick flow & roller rockers torque monster headers cant wait

Good, wet is the only way to go IMO. Why is it backfiring with a 200 shot? Is it jetted way too rich? My suggestion would be to (build the bottom end first :D ) run 100 shot just straight through a WOT switch and window chip and then run the other 100 hp worth of nitrous through a separate stage that is progressive controlled so as to avoid dumping a ton of nitro/fuel into the intake all at once while at moderate rpm. FJO makes a nice 2 channel progressive controller that retailed for a little over $200 when I bought mine. It gives full progressive control of 2 different stage of nitrous. It sounds like that may be the ticket for you if you plan to run that large of a shot on your X. I would make sure that thing has a solid N/A tune and dead on jetting with that stocker 5.0 bottom end, or are you built??? I assumed being stocker bottom end due to you not mentioning it in your above lists but I could be mistaken.

No Stroker Yet , My Goal Is To Go High 11s On The Stock Bottom End, The Only Reason Is Back Firing Is That Is To Much Spray, I Need A Msd Digital ,to Take Timing Out So Far Ive Been Able To Keep The Trailblazer Ss And The Sr8 Jeeps In My Back Window After 100 Mph I Can See Then Coming The Only Thing That Has Keep Up Out Of The Hole Is A Cayenne Turbo S But Not For Long After I Finish With The Modes And 200 Shop Thats A Plate System From Trick Flow

No Stroker Yet , My Goal Is To Go High 11s On The Stock Bottom End, The Only Reason Is Back Firing Is That Is To Much Spray, I Need A Msd Digital ,to Take Timing Out So Far Ive Been Able To Keep The Trailblazer Ss And The Sr8 Jeeps In My Back Window After 100 Mph I Can See Then Coming The Only Thing That Has Keep Up Out Of The Hole Is A Cayenne Turbo S But Not For Long After I Finish With The Modes And 200 Shop Thats A Plate System From Trick Flow

Uuuum, please use punctuation and form sentences. I can hardly read that garble.

Good luck with the project. I would like to see a stock shortblock 5.0 Explorer in the 11's.

MSD to take timing out? Can't this be done with a tune?

200 shot? Can you video this run?

HMMM,Something sounds fishy!:scratch: I would be real careful with a shot over 100, these stock 5.0L block has been known to split in half with just a n/a'd strokers before. Not even on the juice!:eek:

HMMM,Something sounds fishy!:scratch: I would be real careful with a shot over 100, these stock 5.0L block has been known to split in half with just a n/a'd strokers before. Not even on the juice!:eek:

You know how it goes James. A knowledgeable person can make all the recommendations in the world but still have people not want to listen to pearls of wisdom. People try to reinvent the wheel and usually pay the consequences. :D

Hey why do u guys, u seem to think u know every thing ,I seem to get along better with the people at the trailblazer forum then u guys ! . I know that u can take timing out with a chip ,put my goal is to run the truck with out spending to much money or butting a stroker kit, theres nothing fishy james Im choose a guy with another x I hope u guys are the same way i dont need any advice ,like i sad before my goal is to run high 11s no matter what, when it happens u guys will see it first

Hey why do u guys, u seem to think u know every thing ,I seem to get along better with the people at the trailblazer forum then u guys ! . I know that u can take timing out with a chip ,put my goal is to run the truck with out spending to much money or butting a stroker kit, theres nothing fishy james Im choose a guy with another x I hope u guys are the same way i dont need any advice ,like i sad before my goal is to run high 11s no matter what, when it happens u guys will see it first

Kaylene, you have to understand where we are coming from first bro. James is an SCT tuner, performance shop owner and knows a hell of allot about this sort of stuff. I am an SCT tuner, performance shop owner, and know one hell of allot about this stuff too. Both of us have allot of Explorer and non-Explorer related power/performance experience. I have built a few 5.0's before, 2 of which have been 5.0 Explorers. I have also done quite a few nitrous oxide systems too; and I don't even have to mention what experience I have in the modular arena and other places non-applicable to your X. We are not new to these things. What we say is not meant to hassle you or make you feel like ****, it is just meant as feedback from very experienced people.

If you go into any other forum that has people who know about what the Ford 5.0's can and cannot do and mention running a 200 shot that backfires, with no timing taken out and on a stock bottom end no less; you will get the same reaction. I suspect the reason why you do not get it on the TBSS forums is because most of those fella's probably don't have much knowledge on the Ford 5.0 V8 engines and thus will not know to mention anything.

You also burned a few bridges over here also which is why I am short with you and possibly why others may be inclined to be too. We are REALLY nice guys that are willing to offer one hell of allot of assistance, or just props, as long as you do not come in here with an attitude like you had a few months back. Once a person settles down and is relaxed then we all can have a pretty enjoyable time in this section.

One other thing more related towards your X. If you want to "run the truck with out spending to much money" then you may want to reconsider your approach with that MSD box or tune (whichever you decide) because if you leave your spark timing at what it is and detonate then you will likely be buying more than just an ignition box. Something more to the tune of another stock shortblock. Sometimes it is best to overspend in the short term to save money in the long term. Good luck with the truck.

Look forward to the results.

:( I figured out what's causing my check engine light, vacuum leak in the brake booster. It idles like crap then if you take the hose out and put your thumb over it idles as smooth as ever.

That said I still went to the track. I just couldn't wait another month for numbers.

16.76 @80.94 mph. Which isn't bad, but I'm pretty sure there's still more there, between the vacuum leak and the 90+ degree temps, i'm sure I was down on power. I'll post the rest of the numbers tomorrow morning but right now I need to get a nap before I have to go to work.

:( I figured out what's causing my check engine light, vacuum leak in the brake booster. It idles like crap then if you take the hose out and put your thumb over it idles as smooth as ever.

That said I still went to the track. I just couldn't wait another month for numbers.

16.76 @80.94 mph. Which isn't bad, but I'm pretty sure there's still more there, between the vacuum leak and the 90+ degree temps, i'm sure I was down on power. I'll post the rest of the numbers tomorrow morning but right now I need to get a nap before I have to go to work.

The leak--is it in the booster? Are you sure the modified "t" is holding?

Your stuff is on it's way--you'll be able to re-arm your pcm hopefully by friday--:thumbsup:

Well as promised here are my times from last night

1st, and best run

60' 2.401
330' 6.971
1/8 10.755
MPH 65.57
1000 13.987
1/4 16.763
MPH 80.94

2nd run
60' 2.400
330' 6.981
1/8 10.774
MPH 65.41
1000' 14.017
1/4 16.803
MPH 80.50

3rd run
60' 2.441
330' 7.031
1/8 10.836
MPH 65.28
1000' 14.080
1/4 16.864
MPH 80.77

As you can see it just kept getting slower, I'm guessing that it was running hot and I wasn't letting it cool down enough between runs.

Back