Need Advice on Supercharging | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Advice on Supercharging

Anyone have any experience on supercharging the 5.0L? After all the intake and exhaust work I have done and and tuned by Henson Performance (Thanks
James) my little motor still strains to push 2 plus tons down the road. I guess I should clarify that once I'm up to speed it perfoms great. The engine is strong and the truck will go faster then I care to(again thanks to James at Henson Performance for removing the speed limiter). I'm just looking for more power off the line(Damn Civics) and supercharging seems to me to be the best option. I don't want to tear into the engine (thats for another day). So I thought I would ask you all about doing this. I have been researching and can pick up an Eaton M90(rebuilt) for a decent price but the question I have is since I have the internal EGR is this an option? I have seen the one (weiand?) on explorerexpress and it wont work with the internal EGR and there is no way I could afford the $3800.00 anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still going to be too high to fit a plenum and compressor on top of it and fit under the hood. Looks spendy too! How much do those cost / who makes it?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Gotta say, I am stunned it is the spacer. It cannot have enough imbalance 0n its own - just too near the center of rotation. Wonder if it is milled slightly off square, causing the fan to wobble??? Nothing beats an engine driven fan for cooling horsepower! I would do everything I could to keep it!

I would think that the spacer was turned on a lathe. I dont see any fan wobble, but I dont see it turning at 3000+ rpm. It's really a severe vibration. I think it killed my alternator too. Could be a coincidence.
This whole Powerdyne kit has caused me nothing but problems. But I'm stuck with it, so I'll work thru them.

Don't complicate the system with an extra pump. Figure out how to mount the 255lt.hr unit in there. Others have done it so I don't know how yours differs. I have mine mounted in a new 91-94 pickup I bought for a 93 tank. It was the same diameter as the old pump, and wasn't any trouble. I think I have the same GSS342 pump as you, it's been a long time since I bought it.

I'm not as "creative" as others on the forum. I had the tank out once and I saw no easy way to make the pump fit. This is my daily driver. I cant have it down for extended periods.

That intercooler is compact enough that it makes me wonder again about the KB blower. It might mount on its side right next to the intake and feed directly above that intercooler. The question would be if the blower would leave enough room to fit an inlet tract between it and the AC box. If that would fit there, then the throttle body could remain near it's stock location etc. Could a belt drive be made with the blower basically over the right valve cover.

Seth, the electric fan is tough with the slim clearance, but I think we have almost conquered it, Cobraguy that is.

Crap...I am supposed to be doing my taxes and spent a lot of time reading this thread instead. DOH! These things always take longer than expected. :)

I put a 255 Walbro in my tank. Fit right in the stock location with minimal mods.

This is what my fuel pump looks like.

Attachments

• crt-p74159_w.jpg
    crt-p74159_w.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 300

Never seen one like that. I got a Walbro 255HP pump - can't remember the model - for a Mustang. Swapped right in place of my stock pump.

You took the plastic casing apart to see if the pump would fit inside? I had to replace my pump and it was like yours. My plastic was in rough shape though, so I ended up ordering a pump with that whole plastic surrounding. Truck had sat for years and fuel lacquered up. It will come apart and you will see the metal fuel pump inside of there.

You took the plastic casing apart to see if the pump would fit inside? I had to replace my pump and it was like yours. My plastic was in rough shape though, so I ended up ordering a pump with that whole plastic surrounding. Truck had sat for years and fuel lacquered up. It will come apart and you will see the metal fuel pump inside of there.

I took it apart but the Walbro pump is physically larger then the stock pump. The stock pump flows pretty good. I was thinking an inline pump would help the stock pump in preventing pressure drops. Obviously the flow would not increase beyond what the stock pump could provide.

I'm taking the truck to the shop tomorrow to see whats up with my alternator.

This truck has been a money pit lately.

Jeez....

I just noticed that this thread is over one year old.
I guess it's a work in progress....Yeah right, Im just lazy.
To be fair when I started this thread I didnt have a very clear plan so I turned to everyone on this forum.
My plan is "pretty clear" now but I really have nothing to show for it. I do have a room full of parts and somehow aquired the last Powerdyne supercharger kit in the civilized world. Or so it seemed to me after endless searching. Mistake??
I stopped setting a timeframe for my project because I have let myself down to many times.
So when it's done it's done. Oh, I still need a wideband. There is still a corner of my parts room to fill up.
If...When I get this truck down the 1/4 mile in under 14 seconds it will be mission accomplished. I've never had a vehicle that fast.
Then I may start over with a 3rd generation Explorer. A sharp looking one because my 96 looks like well...a 96.:p:

Took my truck to the shop this morning.

My alternator is fubar.

Having the shop install a new one. $338.00.

It is a Delco Remy 130 amp. Plus I'm having them lenghten the lead to the battery at no cost. This is necessary do to the relocation of the alternator for the supercharger.

I could do it much cheaper myself, but I cant find an alternator locally and cant wait to order one.

One bright spot is the shop did an extensive overall check of the truck and other then a brake fluid flush, they said my truck was mechanically in "pristine" condition.

I asked them about ball joints due to a clunking noise going over bumps and a squeak when driving. They said my ball joints were fine. 170,000 miles on the truck and no maintenance records, that really suprised me.

Tire wear is excellent. But I pride myself on preventitive maintenance so I already had bought new UAC's and lower ball joints, sway bar bushings and end links and front bearing hubs awaiting install.

If I can keep this thing from breaking down for a couple days I will have basically a new front end.

Good to know a 13 year old vehicle is in such good shape. Except for the paint.:D

That fuel pump housing must be unique to the 96/97's. If the internals are different also as you said, toss it and find a 98 model part. What is needed would depend on the metal bracket which holds the pump and float sending unit. If that is the same as a 98, then you can use what you have. I have one spare 98 and 99 parts set. They should cost no more than $50 used as an assembly from a salvage yard. People usually buy them that way just to get the fuel pump.

This is the fuel pump for the 97/98 model year. I just dont know if it's a direct drop in fit and if it would throw off my gas gauge. But it would take the Walbro pump.

Attachments

• AFE2266S.jpg
    AFE2266S.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 288

Yes that looks like my 98, and the 99 only differs by the FPR which is included. If yours is like that you may make it work, otherwise get that one, the fuel level signals are the same over the years. I did check my pump, it's the GSS340 also. I'll have to change the wiring(91-94) ends of my tank unit to match the wiring of my 98 truck. That's all I lack to be able to bolt mine in.

This is the fuel pump for a 96 5.0L Mexican built. Would the tanks be different?

Attachments

• AFE2190S.jpg
    AFE2190S.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 295

The tanks and pickups should interchange between 95-01's, other than the 99-01 having a FPR and no return line included. If you do need the more common type to mount the common pumps, then get a used one from a 98. The wiring and pickup etc. is the same, and they don't generally wear out, just the pump. A new part would be nice of course, if they are like the 91-94 I bought then it's over $100. I didn't want to risk a used old model truck style, those had sinking float issues. I've changed a pump before and then had the float sink weeks later. Drop the tank again.

Apparently the 4.0L and 5.0L pump and sending units are the same. At least Partstrain has the same part no. for both. $200.00 for a new one is steep. I will see what I can find at my local wrecking yards.

Got my charging system fixed. With a new waterpump, fan, radiator, alternator, hoses,etc I have one clean front dress. Wasnt able to get the balancer changed over so I still get some vibration at about 4500rpm. Need to get that off, weighed and balanced. Same with the fan spacer.

Tommorrow I tackle the front end rebuild even though I'm told it's fine.
I dont like unknown noises.;)

Ordered a fuel pump/sending unit from ped5stang. I dont like dealing with these local wrecking yard people. They have this "I couldnt care less" attitude. Anyway $50 to make my pump work is a steal compared to buying another pump.

Dropping the tank the first time was a chore. It should go smoother this second time around now that I know what to do.

Was really impressed with the shop I took it to for my charging issue. They have a dedicated shuttle so they took me home and then called when the truck was ready asking if it was a good time to pick me up. Classey.

Even though this shop was listed under auto electric service they were a full service shop. They went over my engine, entire drivetrain including brakes,u-joints, everything. Even aired up my tires. All for a charging issue. Gotta love that.

I got straight A's across the board except they recommended a brake fluid flush do to high water content. Not a big deal.

I felt pretty good when I walked out of there. EXCELLENT SERVICE!

I put the '96 pump assy in my 2001 and the sending unit and all seems to work fine, so you should be good! I think it was just a '96 deal and probably only our two trucks. :)

Back