Need another KEY for 98..only have 1 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need another KEY for 98..only have 1

astrochimp

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Read a little with a SEARCH on getting another key for 98 and newer.
I only have ONE and had no need for another key when i had TWO. Now i discover i should have bought one when i HAD TWO. this two key thing is just plain STUPID.

anyways, wondered if anyone had any new info on getting around paying 100 bux for a dealer to program.

I noticed one person got the 2nd key to program even though he only had 1...used the main once Twice during programming.

Key Screw II

My buddy Steve works locally here as a locksmith, and can usually make a second key (if you have one) for a lot less than dealer price. We were talking about this just this morning.

There is a machine (that costs roughly $2000) to pull the appropriate coding to make the second key off the first, and that's what the dealerships have. Other locksmiths may have one in your area, and are willing to cut a deal.

Steve said his boss already has had the cost of the machine paid for several times over, so now he undercuts the dealer charge. :D

I had my Explorer in for front end service last week, and also had a 2nd key made. I only got 1 key when I bought the vehicle used. The dealer only charged $19.95 Did I get a great deal or what? I can't believe it would cost $100 or so. I just said I needed a 2nd key and he said $19.95 It was programmed right and works like a champ.
Ken

Back