Need bearing and seal info on 97' AWD front diff. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need bearing and seal info on 97' AWD front diff.

imq707s

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I just pulled the front diff out of the front of my 1997 AWD Mountaineer. I need to replace all of the bearings and seals. I tried calling some local bearing houses but none of them seem to have the correct bearings. Can I buy a kit? What type of diff do I have? Also...does anyone know the correct part numbers for all of the bearings and seals I'll need? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd be interested in photos and the procedure when you figure it out. I've got the repair guide, which probably has the part numbers in it. Will have to look when i'm home if nobody gets to it first. I'd suspect that Ford could either sell you a kit or dig up the parts pretty easily, unless you're looking at some better repacements. BTW, what symtpoms did you have that made you pull it apart?

I had a bad bearing noise coming from the front end of the truck when ever I would turn or brake at around 20-30mph. It kept getting louder and louder. I replaced both wheel bearings but that didn't help. I took it to Ford, and they said it was the wheel bearings, even after I told them I had just reaplaced them. I figured that the only other bearings are in the diff.

Let me know how it goes. I got a howl above 30 and lasts all the way up to 75 and probably above that. I'm thinking it's the bearings also.

Have you taken it apart yet to check the bearings? Just curious. Yeah, Ford can do that. They told me a needed the whole front end rebuilt, but they wouldn't know how bad it was until they got in there. I replaced the transfer case myself and am back on the road. Idiots.

MInes been humming for about 2 yrs now. buy the bearings thru ford. They should have them in stock. You should have gotten new ones before digging in.

I called Ford today. After explaining to the parts guy for 20min that I wanted all of the front diff bearings....not rear end bearings, or tranny bearings, or wheel hub bearings..(where do they find these guys??)...I finally got some prices out of the guy. All of the bearings, races, and seals were going to be around $125.

I found a local driveline shop that had a bearing kit for $60...and would install everything for me for $160. I figure that's a bargain so I'm going to have them do it.

wow thats expensive for a set of bearings and seals.. though i guess ur replacing the carrier bearings too? so maybe thats not too bad. but anyways, PartsAmerica (which is Advanced Auto and has a few store locations in Springfield, MO) is showing that they'll have a bearing to u in a day.. and if ur going to buy bearings from somewhere else other than the dealer, stay away from the "Motor City" brand - their seals SUCK! go with "BCA" or something (BCA is part of Federal Mogul - MOOG)

if ur going to replace the pinion bearing races, ull need a set of punches (preferably a brass set) to drive them out.

unless uve done this before, i would suggest doing a search and reading up on how to change pinion bearings.. tho most of the articles ull find on this message board are about the rear differential, most of the concept applies to the front differential (with the maybe biggest exception being the open carrier in the front and the lack of axles and C-clips)

Yep, I'm going to need some special tools that I don't have.

That's why I'm just going to let the shop put new bearings and seals in it for me. Then I'll install the diff when they are all done with it.

I figure I can spend $125 in parts from ford....plus buy some special tools ($50)...+ run the risk of setting of the diff wrong (priceless :)......

or....pay a shop $160 + $70 in parts to do it right so I never have to worry about it again. I'll just have them do it :)

imq707s said:
That's why I'm just going to let the shop put new bearings and seals in it for me. Then I'll install the diff when they are all done with it.
ahh gotcha ;) good idea

So, next question is, how did you find the shop? I've looked around my area and didn't come up with anyone to do that type of work (I was looking at getting my tcase rebuilt).

rizzjc said:
So, next question is, how did you find the shop? I've looked around my area and didn't come up with anyone to do that type of work (I was looking at getting my tcase rebuilt).

transfer case work and differential work are very different .. im sure theres at least one shop within a 50 mile radius of Raleigh, NC that does differential work! im not sure of these places but try calling them:

Auto Performance Center
922 USHighway 70 West, Garner, NC 27529
(919) 772-5957

Del Richards' Automotive Center
16376 Hwy 50 North, Garner, NC 27529
(919) 662-4127

Mike's Transmissons
Garner, NC 27529
(919) 779-7767

The Transmission Shop
713 West Garner Road, Garner, NC 27529
(919) 772-5990

I just got in the phone book and looked up Transmisison. There were all kinds of places that rebuilt diffs. Even if they don't say they repair diff, call them anyway. Sometimes they do it but won't adverstise it.

Check 4 or 5 places....I found a huge difference in price from one place to the next. Over $100 difference for the same job :eek:

Thanks! Most of those places are ... in my town! Yeah, you're right about calling them and asking. I just get tired of them laughing at me. I once called a transmission shop about doing a complete flush and fill of my tranny with my own fluid. They told me that would be like bringing my own egg to McDonald's for a breakfast biscuit (or something stupid like that). I thanked him for being an idiot, and moved on. I asked another local tranny shop if they could check the pinion bearing preload on my rear diff, per the spec. They offered their "free analysis" and did nothing but call me later in the day to tell me that really the only way would be to take it apart, and then they might as well replace the bearing, and that would cost me $600-$700. And there was nothing wrong with the vehicle - I just wanted it checked. I thanked them for wasting my time and moved on again.

So, you see what you get down here in Raleigh. Pretty much every shop will bend you over if they get the chance.

Well now I'm pi$$ed! :mad:

The grinding "bad bearing" noise is still there after install the fresh differential. What in the world could be making that noise?

So far, this is what I've replaced (and wasted lots of money on).

1. New wheels bearing hubs $450
2. New front driveshaft $200
3. New front rotors and pads $300
4. All new bearings in the fron diff $300

The only thing that I haven't replaced are the front half shafts with the CV joints on them.

Maybe you guys could help me out.

At speeds between 15-40mph I can hear a very low pitched grinding noise that has sort of a droneing sound to it. It gets a little louder when I turn to the right...and a little quieter when I turn to the left. At highway speeds you can't hear a thing. I can feel the vibration coming through the floor under my feet....so I'm 99% sure it's on the drivers side.

I jacke all 4 wheels up and had someone hop in the drivers seat and run the speedo up to around 40mph. You could hear the noise, but not as loud as when I'm actually driving down the road. The noise is coming from the front, not the middle (near the trasfer case).

What could be making this noise? The only thing I haven't replaced are the half shafts....but I would think that if the CV joints were bad....they would make that "click-click-click" noise when turning...and they don't.

Any ideas would be great...this is driving me crazy :eek:

imq707s said:
1. New wheels bearing hubs $450
3. New front rotors and pads $300
who made the changes above? was it you? i just wanna make sure the parts were actually replaced.

did u make sure ur not stuck in "4HI"? tho i think in the 97s, "4HI" is called "4WD" on the dash. when the front differential is being "driven" by the transfer case, it does kind of sound like a grinding noise at lower speeds but eventually nulls down as u go faster..

My Mountaineer is AWD (all wheel drive). You can't switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive.

I did all of the repairs myself, so I know the parts were put in right. The noise is coming from the drivers side.....almost like it's right under my feet. Could a bad CV joint on one of the halfshaft be making that noise?

Thanks for the suggestions.....keep them coming!

imq707s said:
My Mountaineer is AWD (all wheel drive). You can't switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive.
but you should be able to switch from "4HI" and "Auto". if the tranfer case is stuck in "4hi" due to a mechanical problem (friction plates permanently engaged or something) and not an electrical problem (so that the electromagnetic ring in the case still isnt being powered up), you wont get any dash lights or anything indicating that its stuck in "4hi".. i forget, have u tried driving ur car w/o a front driveshaft?

There is no switch, or any way to switch from 4-Hi to Auto. It's full time AWD, there is no swich that controlls any part of the transfer case. I've never seen any Mountaineers that have that option....maybe the Explorers are different??

Yes, I pulled the front driveshaft out and it didn't make any difference in the noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

imq707s said:
There is no switch, or any way to switch from 4-Hi to Auto.
Fascinating!
imq707s said:
there is no swich that controlls any part of the transfer case
curiosity kicking in (which has killed the cat many many times already): how do u switch to "4LO"?

Back