Need heat/blend door/actuator opinions! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need heat/blend door/actuator opinions!

dino11

Reaction score
City, State
Princeton, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 exploder
Okay this is about my moms 01 eddie bauer .

Symptoms: Her heat will start warm but will gradually lose temp. She has to increase to max heat to stay warm, but that too fades.

I read how to check the actuator, but i dont believe thats the culprit. No clicking and she initially has heat.
Does this sound like a blend door? If so, is hers weak causing it to gradually close when warm? Or what?
Ive read how to replace the door, and thanks to any of you who posted info about that.

Question: what is the culprit? Where is a quality replacement available? Any tips?

P.s. I recently replaced my actuator on my 02. thanks to the great info here it took bout 2 hrs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ttt

I know ppl have info bout this

no help out there?

If the heat is fading like that, I would suggest checking to see if the heater core is plugged up. I've flushed them out by simply undoing both of the lines in the engine bay that lead to it and using the garden hose to clean it out. The pressure is usually enough to dislodge whatever may be trapped inside of it.

If it was the blend door it would be all heat or no heat. The heat would not increase by turning the knob. It could be the heater control valve. Have you you checked the coolant level. With low coolant level there is not enough circulating through the system to maintain heat.

well she has had this problem for a while. and she has had a new heater core put in... and no coolant leaks. i checked her coolant level yesterday and it was at the correct level...

she has the digital controls.. has to turn it to the hottest setting to get heat, bump it down one time and its damn near outside temperature.

thanks guys!

My guess would be a sticking thermostat. Maybe once the truck warms up and the thermostat opens, it may be sticking open??

Back