Need Help: Problems Starting My X | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help: Problems Starting My X

JohnnyRook

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie Bauer
Hi All,

Relatively new to the forum. I've used it before to fix my 4x4 using the washer fix.

Now I have a new problem. Recently the batter on my 94 has been draining very quickly. I don't drive it much as I live in the city, but would have to jump it every time I drove it (usually sat for a week at the most). Well today I jumped it as usual and noticed my ABS light was on. I pulled over and turned off the engine. When I went to turn it on again, it began to turn over then stopped and there was a rapid clicking noise coming from the engine that stopped once I stopped turning the key.

I have to assume that there's a problem in the ignition or electrical systems. My battery is relatively new so I don't think that's the problem.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your battery is new and you keep having to jump it than chances are that your alternator is crapping out....The clicking you hear is the solinoid not getting enough juice from the battery. Your battery can only take so many discharges before it can't charge back 100%. Take out the alt and get it tested at a local parts store.

Yes, the clicking you are hearing is due to either a dead battery or poor connections. Check all your connections for corrosion, but it sounds like your alternator is on it's way out. I suggest testing the alternator before replacing it.

also, if you have an anti-theft on it i had the same problem and it seriously messed up my electrical system. i had to pull it out and let it set to reset it.

Here's my update. Took out the alternator and got it tested. Thing was dead so I bought a new one, replaced it, and now I'm back on the road.

Thanks everyone!

I have a new update and it's not good. I have the new alternator in and everything seemed fine. The battery took the charge and my Ex was starting up great. I was also using it on a regular basis. However, now I'm not using it as much and the battery is still draining at an alarming rate. It will die after sitting for 24 hours. I'm giong to get the battery tested, but it's a very new battery so I don't think it's the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the drain? How can I check what's causing it? I've read that I can pull the fuses and check for changes in amps. How do I go about doing that?

Remove the hood light first. Then remove the negative battery cable. Put a mutli-meter between the cable and the negative post and record the amps/voltage. Then start pulling fuses one at a time. When the amps drop, that will tell you what circuit the drain is on. Then start testing each device on that circuit.

Electrical problems can be a real pita. Good luck.

Back