• Register Today It's free!

Need Help with replacing APIM

Prettything

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 explorer limited
Hi new here and needing help with replacing sync module 2012 explorer Limited 2wh pict's vid would help alot
thankx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are you referring to the MFT Sync2 APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module)? If so, here is a video that may help.
Note that the APIM must be programmed to your vehicle.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are you referring to the MFT Sync2 APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module)? If so, here is a video that may help.
Note that the APIM must be programmed to your vehicle.

Peter

Thx Peter...also.. Im looking for that part is there any significant ser. # I need to look for ??

There are a few threads by members regarding APIM replacement but the part numbers given in them are no longer valid. Most of them have bought the APIM from either Amazon or eBay.

Peter

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? What Sync version do you have now and what sync version do you want to end up with?
I have 2015 Explorer that had sync 2/MFT, and replaced with Sync 3 from a 2018 Ford. If, for example, if you are going with sync 3, you will want a specific sync 3 screen with the recessed back (which the explorer uses). I found all i needed on either ebay or amazon and the transition went flawlessly and ended up extremely happy.

Hi Joe. I think they just want help on obtaining and installing a Sync 2 APIM. Wanted 2012 Explorer APIM Sync module The link in post #2 should help with the removal/installation but programming will also be required.

Peter

Hey I am trying to match up a APIM snyc 2 module to change out mine ( unit behind the main touch screen) can someone give me a little help
my tag # on my unit is BT4T - 14D212-BV is there another number on the tag I need to ref. ? I am not able to fine the exact tag number but
can someone help with a cross ref for it I would appreciate it so much

From what I understand, you wont actually be able to "match up" another vehicles APIM.. Its programmed to the VIN and you either need a dealer to program it or find someone that will program it for you.. Ive seen a few posts where someone had another guy program it for like 50-75 bucks that went from Sync2 to Sync3.

Hey I am trying to match up a APIM snyc 2 module to change out mine ( unit behind the main touch screen) can someone give me a little help
my tag # on my unit is BT4T - 14D212-BV is there another number on the tag I need to ref. ? I am not able to fine the exact tag number but
can someone help with a cross ref for it I would appreciate it so much
That part number is no longer valid on these Ford parts sites. Search Results | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake and Search Results | Genuine Ford Auto Parts
I did find it here; https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/e...unit-central-processing-7874415-1#partMatched
If you do Google search you will find it on sites like eBay and Amazon. I would think that newer ones should be available.

Peter

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? What Sync version do you have now and what sync version do you want to end up with?
I have 2015 Explorer that had sync 2/MFT, and replaced with Sync 3 from a 2018 Ford. If, for example, if you are going with sync 3, you will want a specific sync 3 screen with the recessed back (which the explorer uses). I found all i needed on either ebay or amazon and the transition went flawlessly and ended up extremely happy.
Did you do a write up that install? Did it include navigation? GPS antenna? Programming?
I am considering doing this to the 2016 Sport I just purchased, but at almost $2k from 4DTech it's a little spendy to replace something that already works. I do like the Sync 3 system in my 2017 Superduty though. AA is nice to have and iHeartradio through the apps works pretty well most of the time.

Since you have a Sync 3 system now you may want to get the latest software that you'll never get from Ford directly..
There have been a few minor bugs reported. you might want to get on the Discord channel or Forum and ask a few questions before jumping straight in.

Did you do a write up that install? Did it include navigation? GPS antenna? Programming?
I am considering doing this to the 2016 Sport I just purchased, but at almost $2k from 4DTech it's a little spendy to replace something that already works. I do like the Sync 3 system in my 2017 Superduty though. AA is nice to have and iHeartradio through the apps works pretty well most of the time.

I'd search around here. You can do it for way cheaper than that. Some people did it for less than $500. I did my 16 Explorer for a reasonable price.

I'd search around here. You can do it for way cheaper than that. Some people did it for less than $500. I did my 16 Explorer for a reasonable price.
Thanks. I will poke around. I just figured if @Joe Stewart had a thread about it, it would save some time.
You'd think something like that might be a sticky.

I already updated to 20136 and everything is working as designed to. No glitches or bugs. Here is what I did.
1st watched the video on youtube on the upgrade and how to remove and replace.
found a new sync3 apim dated 2018, 3rd generation. (On eBay) non Navi 200.00
found a recesssd screen, (not flat sided), that explorers use. (On eBay) 169.00
Purchased usb hub for CarPlay Amazon 50.00
Purchased gps antenna Amazon 20.00?
Purchased the special power harness that plugs into the factory harness to usb hub eBay 14.00 (there are 3 types, make sure to look up your year to get correct one. there is gerneration 1, 2, 2a
Paid 60.00 to member of forscan forum to write asbuilt info to program apim using ForScan. Sync 3 Programming for Ford / Lincoln Vehicles this guy will give you explicit instructions to program apim.
Purchased extended license from forscan and the diagnostic reader with can switch.
Pulled sync 2 apim and screen, removed the brackets and I installed on new screen.
pulled the stereo (below apim) and box below that and installed the hub with new wire.
reassembled
Installed the gps below the center speaker with thick 2- sided tape.
Mounted the new apim and turned on key.
plugged in the reader and opened forscan. Followed the instructions from the guy I bought the asbuilt info from. Turned off key and back on. Everything booted up and boom. I had sync3 working flawlessly.

I will tell you this, I was extremely nervous about the upgrade and sat on all the parts for several months, before acquiring the intestinal fortitude to do the change. It took less than an hour to do it all and i was very careful not to scratch anything when removing and assembly. I do recommend getting the plastic kit for removing interior parts. Came in handy in pulling the door panels off for speaker replacement also.

I will tell you this, I was extremely nervous about the upgrade and sat on all the parts for several months, before acquiring the intestinal fortitude to do the change. It took less than an hour to do it all and i was very careful not to scratch anything when removing and assembly. I do recommend getting the plastic kit for removing interior parts. Came in handy in pulling the door panels off for speaker replacement also.
Well, I was finally able to snag a recessed screen and APIM unit on eBay. The recessed screens were difficult to find. I bought them as a package from SimplyMichigan and thought I could get the USB hub and antenna from them as well, but when I asked them to verify that I needed the Gen2a kit, they didn't seem to think it was the right one. From everything I've found online, Gen2a is for 2014-2015 Explorers, but I can find nothing for 2016 Explorers. Do I already have the necessary hardware being it's a late build 2016? (I don't figure that's the case, but I really don't know)

Does anyone know for sure which hub I need?

Planning to get this antenna.

Which one did you get?

When I switched to SYNC 3 in my 16 XLT the hub I got was from a Ford dealer, HU5Z-19A387-A. The 16 only gets one USB in the front area.

Well looking on the 4DTech website, it appears that the 2016 is a little different kit than the 2014-2015 kit. There's one pigtail that's not included and the hub is a single instead of a double USB. So it looks like all I need is the single hub and the antenna.

Yes, the pigtail was not needed. It worked great.

If the plug that goes into the original hub on your unit plugs into the new hub required for CarPlay then no pigtail is needed. Not talking about the mini usb plug bug the power plug. I had to get the pigtail for my 2015 and if was gen 2a. The single usb hub allows for the center console hub to be used, whereas the double usb hub will not. I enddd up getting the type-c hub and don’t have center console hub.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The single usb hub has the xtra usb plug in the back to go to the console usb.

Attachments

• F085E768-3668-4076-B4DA-45F781042F82.jpeg
    F085E768-3668-4076-B4DA-45F781042F82.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 412

Back