need help with replacing headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need help with replacing headlights

Hi everybody,
I was trying to replace my headlights and tried to remove the headlight case from the body. Unfortunately I wasnt able to find a way to remove just the headlight case from the lighting assembly...Does anybody have any idea??
Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quakecom, are you trying to replace the light itself, or the bulb? Changing the bulb doesn't require removing the light assembly. All you have to do is lift the access panel above the headlight, reach down behind the light, and twist the retaining ring on the back of the headlight. This allows you to pull out the bulb and socket. It is kinda tight behind there, but it can be done.

Quakecomm, I had the same problem... Not enough space behind the light bulb to pull it all the way back. I had to remove the air box for the left side and the battery for the right side. Then, use some power to try to pull the bulb out w/o touching it. It was a pain, but it's worth it. I think this only occurs on 97 Explorer because no one else seems to have a problem with it.

Changing 2003 headlights (bulb only)

Sorry don't want to add to the problem but the instructions for changing the bulbs on my Explorer are "pry up the retaining pins until they stop then pull the assembly forward" There are a couple of pins that pop off but nothing to pry up until it stops - a little confused plus I work better with pictures. Any help would be appreciated.

Right, left, rear...

Here we go...:salute:

Pull up on the two latches (they're a bit tough).

yea donners pictures show it all... i suggest using pliers or a vise grip to get the clips to pop up though... they can be pretty snug in there

Yep- same clips on my old 2004 Taurus, and I pulled them to put in Silverstars. They will be quite tight in there. I had to pry mine up, pliers were bending the lip, so I pried it up with a screwdriver right under the crook of the elbow of the tab just enough to free it up then removed it with needle nose pliers.

Funny thing, that light in the pic just burned out tonight.

I am wondering if this above post by johnbarton is spam.
Time will tell.

Another pointer, I didn't have trouble getting them out as much as getting them in. The rubber fitting that keeps water out, was not small enough on the one bulb. I just took some white lithum grease and sprayed it on my finger and ran it around the washer. Popped right in.

I have a 98, there is so little room, I have trouble getting my hand in and out. Then once I do get it in, I can't see.

how to replace headlight on 2000 ford ranger

So, is this a statement or a question, you gonna do a "how to" or what?
hey Bill, what I would like to know is how do I change the passenger side headlight on a 2000 ford ranger, thanks for your time Joe

There is a discription in the FAQs at top of page for the Explorers. I assume the Rangers are similar. You may have to remove the grill.

There is a discription in the FAQs at top of page for the Explorers. I assume the Rangers are similar. You may have to remove the grill.
Take out battery and air box remove bulb by twisting counterclockwise replace and work in reverse order to replace.

I
Take out battery and air box remove bulb by twisting counterclockwise replace and work in reverse order to replace.
Have an 85, 92, and 2000 ranger the concept is basically the same. You can get them out with out removing battery and such but it's difficult if you don't have tiny hands I have small hands and still find it difficult with out removal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back