• Register Today It's free!

Need Help

BlakeMcClaskey

Reaction score
City, State
Yakima, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I am new to suspension lifts. I am planning on buying some type of suspension lift. I saw that Les Schwab sold Tough Country lifts for 94 explorers and i was thinking about doin that. I hear everybody talking about different types of lifts and i really dont know what they are talking about. Could someone tell me all the options i have on lifting my explorer and the costs, and also the difference's between the lifts. And does anyone have a 4 inch Tough Country lift and could u show me how it looks please. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, from what i have learned, it depends on what you are willing to spend... For me: if i pay more and it lasts longer, i will. I wont do coil-overs/add-a-leaf/blacks, becuase in about a year they wear out, and go back to stock form. *correct me if im wrong* I hear Tuff Country, Skyjacker (if you can find it), as long as its a "kit" you should have almost everything you need... Car jacks, tools are also needed, unless you are the Hulk. ;)

Hope this helped....

-JDubb

Coil Overs are pretty much the ultimate thing for suspension. They would be near impossible to make work with the first gen suspension and axle though.
Blocks would lower not raise an explorer. Blocks also never wear out. They are just solid metal blocks.

oh well how exactly do the different types of lifts differ? How is the suspension lifted? And i do plan on going offroadin so i need a good lift I dont want to spend too much more than 1000$ for a lift.

Thanks for the feedback

I whant to get a kift after i get my rocker panal fixed but i want a small enof lift/tires that i dont have to change gearing and trans whats a good size tire/lift i was thinging about 33's

The first question is what do you want your Ex to do (rock crawling, deep mud, mild/moderate offroading etc.), that will determine how much lift you need.

The cheapest lift is a body lift, that is where you lift your body off the frame giving you the necessary clearance for bigger tires. This method does require more manhours and some fabrication work to get your bumpers up to the new height.
Suspension lifts are where you install either longer springs, shackles or coil spacers to push the suspension farther away from the frame giving you the necessary clearance for bigger tires.
Any lift above 2" will require new/longer shocks, extended brake cables and possibly extended radius arms and throw your speedo out, all suspension lifts require alignment.
There are many combinations for lifts eg: larger front coils or coil spacers and shackles or add-a-leaf in rear (1.5"-2" lift), 4" lift coils in front and spring over axle conversion in rear, lift coils in front and re-arched/lift leaf springs in rear.

off topic: coilovers are a natural for the TTB, they require custom mounts and removal of the stock coil bucket.

on topic:
For your explorer and suspension lifts:
In the front anything over 2" of lift (coil) will require drop brackets for the axle pivot and radius arms

Extended radius arms are the only way to improve the ride and flex of the TTB suspension.

Tough country 4" kit will include 4" coils, axle pivot and radius arm drop brackets.

Superlift and Skyjacker make kits with extended radius arms, there are others as well, but these two are the most popular (with good reasonm they are good kits)

IN the back in order to get 4" or more of lift you will need to do a spring over axle conversion, its cheap, simple, and effective. Add a leafs will make the ride very stiff and they will sag after a while. Shackles are good for about 2" of lift max.

research is the key, and as Bashman stated the most important thing to know is what the truck is going to be used for.

Well im probably just goin to go mudding and mild offroading.. So is a tough country lift a good lift?? for mudding? or what would u suggest for me? The only reason i was considering tough country is because les schwab sells them and i buy my tires from them.

same here mud and snow and mainly for show but i want somting that will get me more groaned clearence for my gas tank skid plate cause that sits as low as the leaf spring thing and if i go in to this hole in my freinds field in almost scrapes on the ground

Back