Needing some help with p0300 p1151 p0303 p0305 p0171 p0174 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Needing some help with p0300 p1151 p0303 p0305 p0171 p0174

Setori17

Reaction score
City, State
Apple Valley, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer 4.0l
Hey everyone, sorry I'm really new to this forum, so forgive me if there is a post up already that I may have missed. I have a 96 Ford explorer 4.0 engine that I have been having some trouble with lately. So I noticed the Explorer was rough idling, saw my check engine light that had already been on was now flashing when I was driving it so I took the code reader to it and it gave me 7 codes which were p1132, p1151, p1152, p0302, p0304, p0171, p0174, and p1131. So after reading up on these codes and talking to the guys from AutoZone, cleaning the O2S for bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 1, using the MAF sensor cleaner, I used injector cleaner, cleaned out the throttle body so it would open up better then what it was and I cleared the codes. The next day when I took the code reader to it it gave me 6 codes p0300, p1151, p0303, p0305, p0171 and p0174. So now I have to check the spark plugs, pcv vacuum supply line and pcv valve tube intake. Both of those I'm not exactly sure where they are located, along with the gas recirculation valve and gasket. I would check the fuel pressure but I don't know how to do that one, just yet.
So now I could use your help fixing those codes and finding where some of the parts are located.... I also have a problem with the Explorer stalling everytime I try to start it. I have to give it gas while holding down the break just to get it to idol. But that I don't even know where to begin on fixing. Does anyone know if they are related or a completely separate issue?
Thank you so very much and if you have either pictures or diagrams that would be extremely helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to EF!!

Have been down this road many many times over the years

171 and 174 are the ones to focus on
Your intake plenum is leaking air
The O ring gaskets at the base of the upper plenum (where the [plastic upper intake meets the lower intake) are dried up and leaking air, causing the computer to add fuel to try and compensate, when it cannot add enough to make up for the amount of un metered air, you get the codes

This is a very common issue for a 96 4.0 pushrod engine

You need to replace your intake gasket O rings and the big green EGR O in your intake manifold
Parts are about $20 and it takes just a couple of hours to complete for a novice

P300 303 and 305 are misfire codes, likely caused by the leaky un metered air in the system
1151 is 02 sensor code indicating lean, again likely caused by the intake leaks

just like this

Now for those yahoos at Autozone, I know they are trying to be helpful....but dang Ford 4.0 and 171 and 174, with no mention of intake gaskets?
They are computer jockey parts salesmen, you are wise to come here and ask questions

If you are really into this repair now would also be a good time for new injectors and injector O rings.......

How many miles are on the 96?

Welcome to EF!!

Have been down this road many many times over the years

171 and 174 are the ones to focus on
Your intake plenum is leaking air
The O ring gaskets at the base of the upper plenum (where the [plastic upper intake meets the lower intake) are dried up and leaking air, causing the computer to add fuel to try and compensate, when it cannot add enough to make up for the amount of un metered air, you get the codes

This is a very common issue for a 96 4.0 pushrod engine

You need to replace your intake gasket O rings and the big green EGR O in your intake manifold
Parts are about $20 and it takes just a couple of hours to complete for a novice

P300 303 and 305 are misfire codes, likely caused by the leaky un metered air in the system
1151 is 02 sensor code indicating lean, again likely caused by the intake leaks

just like this

Now for those yahoos at Autozone, I know they are trying to be helpful....but dang Ford 4.0 and 171 and 174, with no mention of intake gaskets?
They are computer jockey parts salesmen, you are wise to come here and ask questions

If you are really into this repair now would also be a good time for new injectors and injector O rings.......

How many miles are on the 96?

It says I have 76,000+ but I'm not sure if the milage thing really works because it should be around 92,000

howdy and welcome!!!!

I would just about kill to have a 96 4.0 with 76K on it! Its just a baby

Does the Odometer spin and add miles as you drive?
The 96's had an issue with the little gears inside the odo

I would just about kill to have a 96 4.0 with 76K on it! Its just a baby

Does the Odometer spin and add miles as you drive?
The 96's had an issue with the little gears inside the odo
I don't believe that it doesn't... It also doesn't say the correct amount of gas that's in it. As an example when I drive going up hill it will say I have 1/4 a tank of gas but if I were to drive it going down hill it will say I'm on empty and would stall even though it has the 1/4 tank of gas in it.

your fuel tank is what's called a mid ship tank, meaning the tank is mounted on the drivers side midway down the frame and the pump is in the middle of the tank
You point the truck up of downhill and the fuel rushes to the front or back of the tank, meanwhile the level sender and pump are in the middle, so as the fuel passes by the reading will go up and down. Then there is what's called an anti slosh module in the instrument cluster that slows down the movement of your fuel level needle, so that it does not bounce as the fuel moves it only takes a sample every few seconds to smooth it out

Do not let your truck get below 1/4 tank
It is bad for the pump, because the fuel on top of the pump is what cools the pump

I didn't know that so thank you, I try to keep the gas level above the halfway mark, but gas prices in Cali are way to expensive so it has been difficult to maintain the gas level.

Ok so I have been working on trying to clear the codes so I bought spark plugs and when trying to switch out the old spark plugs for the new ones, I accidentally broke several vacuum lines. I didn't know they would break by bumping into them with my hand or when I had to disconnect them so I could have them out of the way when I installed the EGR valve, but by doing so I tried switching the vacuum lines with ones off my sister's non-op 2001 explorer ( I couldn't afford to buy new ones nor does the car want to start to go get new ones). When I switched them i lost track of which vacuum line went where. I've searched online and can't find a diagram that shows me what connects to what. So I need some help if anyone knows?
I checked the spark plug wires 5 / 6 read great ohm's. The last one is in the high 600's, so could that prevent my car from starting?

Oh almost forgot one other thing... I bought the o-ring gaskets for the plenum I think that's how you spell it. To be honest I had no clue as to what that was or how to even say it. Now to replace the o rings all I have to do is disconnect almost everything to pop it off switch out bad for good ones, do I spray something to clean it out? And then hopefully put it all back together again. Is there a check list somewhere that I can use to know step by step what to do. The guy in the video knows what he is doing and I don't. A lot of times I can't even see what he is doing or what to take off or disconnect. Unfortunately I'm a beginner when it comes to this sort of thing. I have to take a lot of pictures of where everything goes before I start so I know where everything goes when I have to put it all back together again. So yeah anyone know either what all I have to remove to get to the upper plenum gaskets or know where I can find a checklist? Thank you all for your help and for your knowledge

Back