• Register Today It's free!

New 2023 ST

keithw1975

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Explorer ST
We traded in our '19 Sport for a '23 ST a couple of days ago. Sticker price was about $10k more than the Sport, but even with 50k miles on it they gave us $30k for it on trade.

I really like the lane centering. I had ordered it on my '21 F-150, but the dealer screwed up and left it off the final order. On the other hand there are a couple of things that I was a little disappointed with. The dash display layout seems to offer minimal configuration options. I really wish they let you move things around and have more options like on the F-150. I also am surprised that they don't have Sync 4 like the F-150. Finally, I am noticing that there is a rattle coming from the back somewhere that sounds like glass rattle over bumps, but haven't narrowed it down yet and when you are on the highway there is some wind noise around the 2nd row windows. Being this is a few years into the re-design and my F-150 was a first year, I am surprised that it doesn't seem as ironed out.

All of that being said, I overall love it and really like the extra left foot room for the driver.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't expect to see sync 4 in the explorers until the refresh. The current EX's came out in mid 19 as 20 and sync 3 was the latest and greatest at the time. And sync 4 has a larger screen so that may require an interior redesign, so don't expect any new tech on an existing design.

I don't know if Ford will go with Sync 4 in any refresh. They may go straight to the Google Andriod-based system.

Peter

I also feel like the 3.0l is a little noisier than the 3.5l.

After spending more time driving it on the highway and around town it definitely has a more irritating engine sound than our 2019 Sport. The engine is louder and seems to run at higher RPMs. After we took a little 100-mile trip in it and then I ran up to get some food in my F-150 it was amazing the difference. The F-150 will accelerate briskly while making very little noise, while the ST sounds like you are thrashing it. It reminds me of the sound from the little imports with the big mufflers. Not fitting for a $62k luxury sport SUV.

After spending more time driving it on the highway and around town it definitely has a more irritating engine sound than our 2019 Sport. The engine is louder and seems to run at higher RPMs. After we took a little 100-mile trip in it and then I ran up to get some food in my F-150 it was amazing the difference. The F-150 will accelerate briskly while making very little noise, while the ST sounds like you are thrashing it. It reminds me of the sound from the little imports with the big mufflers. Not fitting for a $62k luxury sport SUV.
The ST has engine noise piped into the audio system. The ST is an enthusiast trim so it caters to those that want to hear the engine revving. A Platinum or KR would have the same power, but theoretically, less noise. Most trims of the F-150 would not have as much engine noise because most trims are not aimed at enthusiast drivers.

Makes one wonder why they also have the 'fake' engine noise piped into the Aviator. There should be an option to turn it OFF.

Peter

There is, thru forscan.

Makes one wonder why they also have the 'fake' engine noise piped into the Aviator. There should be an option to turn it OFF.

Peter
That's a great point. Theoretically, it should be the quietest and most insulated version of the platform. For a Lincoln, I want to be wrapped in silence and a big cushy leather seat.

The ST has engine noise piped into the audio system. The ST is an enthusiast trim so it caters to those that want to hear the engine revving. A Platinum or KR would have the same power, but theoretically, less noise. Most trims of the F-150 would not have as much engine noise because most trims are not aimed at enthusiast drivers.
So this isn't in the same vein as the Sport? It didn't have this sound.

I can't express how much I enjoy the F-150. Having all that torque of the electric/turbo motor and a very quiet drive train is exhilarating.

I just came across this when doing some more checking into this fake noise.

"How do you turn off fake engine noise on a Ford?

There are two ways to turn off the fake engine noise, detailed in plenty of forum posts here and elsewhere: 1) A dealer can do it for you, electronically turning off the “Active Sound Control” feature. 2) You can pop off an access panel at the end of the dash, reach in, and unplug the sound module. Aug 7, 2022"
I believe that it can also be turned OFF using FORScan.

Peter

I just came across this when doing some more checking into this fake noise.

"How do you turn off fake engine noise on a Ford?

There are two ways to turn off the fake engine noise, detailed in plenty of forum posts here and elsewhere: 1) A dealer can do it for you, electronically turning off the “Active Sound Control” feature. 2) You can pop off an access panel at the end of the dash, reach in, and unplug the sound module. Aug 7, 2022"
I believe that it can also be turned OFF using FORScan.

Peter
You just made my day!

Peter

I test drove a 23 Aviator Reserve and a 23 ST back to back. The engine noise piped in to the ST is noticeably and remarkably louder and more aggressive. I would say easily twice as loud, even in Excite/Sport modes.

Back