• Register Today It's free!

New 5r55s problem

Topher1142

Reaction score
City, State
Yuma, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
So last night I finished putting in a reman transmission in my 07 Explorer XLT V6, and when I cranked it up there was an awful sounding rattle/ grinding noise that went away after a few seconds, then came back as I put it in gear. I'm pretty sure it is coming from the torque converter, but don't know for sure. Any suggestions as to where the install went wrong or ways to correct it? Thanks in advance.

First thing I think of is that the converter may not have been fully engaged in the pump of the transmission and when the engine is started it trashes the pump and converter hub. I would contact the person who you got the reman from and ask him what to do next. Most likely you will have to pull it back out and get it to them.

It ended up being the Torque Converter not being fully seated against the flex plate. I started the bolts before the tranny was fully on the engine, so they wouldn't misalign and forgot to tighten them once the tranny was fully seated. Runs like a dream now. Thanks for the reply.

Back