New dipstick markings wrong? 2000 4.0 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New dipstick markings wrong? 2000 4.0 SOHC

VTOSS_Man

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 EB
Hi Everyone,

Last spring when I was changing the spark plugs, I broke the plastic handle off my engine dipstick. (changing #5 plug, wrench slipped, S#*t!, byebye plastic handle! LOL)

So I just got around to ordering up the new dipstick last week from Ford. The new one arrives and I compare it to the old one. I then notice that the full line is about 1/2" higher than the old one!?!?! WTF? Everything else is the same. Length, low oil line, etc. is all the same. Just the fill line is too high!

I went back to the parts counter guy and showed him the difference. He double checked the computer/parts # and couldn't figure out why the new dipstick was marked differently. He said he would order another new one in case the one we received was a fluke. The second new one arrived yesterday with the same incorrect markings.......fill line 1/2" too high. (probably at least 3/4 litre overfill if I was to go by the dipstick markings). The parts guy had no idea why there was such a big difference between the new and the old.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and, more importantly, know where I can get a new dipstick that is marked correctly???

TIA

Edit;
Old dipstick part# F77E-6750-CD
New dipstick part # XL2Z-6750-DA (according to Ford part guy's computer)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do an oil change with the specified amount of oil. Then make a new mark on the dipstick where full really should be. I had to do that on our Mach 1.

Rick said:
Do an oil change with the specified amount of oil. Then make a new mark on the dipstick where full really should be. I had to do that on our Mach 1.
That is the obvious work around. But I'd rather just have the proper dipstick in the first place.

Anyone else?

The new dipsticks are $19.60 from Fast Parts Network (our site sponsor), how much are you paying? :D

Oh yeah, it says '97-01 SOHC too. Weird.

Rick said:

Funny, I have a 98 Ex and a 03 Mach 1 too! Also, I saw in your profile you were born in Chicago, as was I. However, I am not into ham radio, but I do EAT ham occasionally.

Back