New Explorer Concept revealed | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer Concept revealed

I really think we need to get a petition signed by as many people as possible and start emailing Ford in hopes of stopping this next version of the Explorer. You might as well call it the new FLEX MINI. I need this truck to be on a full frame so I can tow my trailer. Ford says we will still offer the big trucks. Yes I would like one but not when diesel is $5 per gallon and gas is $4.50. What does everyone think?

How heavy is your trailer? The new Explorer should still be able to tow 3500 lbs, maybe more with the bigger engine and appropriate gearing.

I really don't think that Ford would entertain a petition drive. The design is probably pretty far along and no doubt Ford feels that it is responding to gov't pressure and consumer demand for better fuel economy and car-like handling. With the price of fuel, pressure from Congress, and both presidential candidates saying that Americans need to drive smaller cars, it will be a miracle if the Explorer survives at all.:(

It seems to me that the Flex is going to be the family mover (it even looks like a school bus), the Taurus X is going away, if the Explorer doesn't make it, it will be replaced by the Escape. I suspect that the new Explorer will replace the Taurus X. I just hope it will retain a reasonable amount of Sport and Utility and not become like most other SUV's, which are just AWD hatchback cars.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ill sign it!!

I would buy one, but not until my 92 is worn out or broken beyond repair.
I hope that it will be a little smaller than the current Ex, more like the size of the 1st generation.

Two things disturb me: (1) The high belt line and small windows will make it harder to see what's around you, unless you get a reverse camera.

(2) Its supposed to be 3 inches lower. Maybe that's overall height, but if its suspension height, then the ground clearance will be only 5 inches, too low for even mild off-pavement use and snow.

Does anyone know if it will still have a 2-speed transfer case?

Bob

I kind of like that Explorer design looks tough.

I'd like to mention that petitions have stopped for numerous times. 2 that I can think of off the top of my head are the lawsuits against anyone using ford's name or nameplates. like esplorerforum.com would have to change it's name to 4x4forum.com and not advertise anything to do with explorers. the 2nd is when they wanted to make the mustang a front wheel drive, petitions, calls, and letters were sent in and they left the mustang pretty much as is for the 87-93 model years. the front wheel drive car that was to be named mustang was named probe. and the mustang lived on.

HOLY OMG that thing is terrible !!!!!!!!!!!!!! as someone said above " it looks like a scion " i love the 3rd gen, and even the 4th gen arent that bad... but that vehicle is horrible

Well, its only a concept. We'll have to wait and see. With the price of fuel and the political and economic pressure for small cars, it will be nice if the Explorer survives at all, under any form. The Taurus X is being discontinued, so perhaps the new Explorer will really look more like a lifted Taurus X.

Bob

Well, its only a concept. We'll have to wait and see. With the price of fuel and the political and economic pressure for small cars, it will be nice if the Explorer survives at all, under any form. The Taurus X is being discontinued, so perhaps the new Explorer will really look more like a lifted Taurus X.

Bob

I would rather it not survive than become that.

Yeah, with all the crossovers in Ford's lineup now, I was hoping that the Explorer would go back to its truck roots and be a little smaller like the 1st generation Explorer.

Bob

I'm having visions of a not so far future, walking on the sidewalk.. looking at cars and trucks that look like that.. very quiet.. a peaceful generator sound from under the hood... but someone comes driving a fuel injected vehicle and it's "loud" and everyone just stares at it.. some cover their noses from the smell of exhaust.... -_-'' *Sigh*

Then I would be the guy pulling up in the 4 banger, carbed ranger with a cherry bomb welded to the header dumped under the seats. lol

Those of us who truly explore and participate in off highway "Serious Explorations" have become the minority. These days a "Serious Exploration" has become a safe trip to Starbucks and back.:thumbdwn:

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA! That is the funniest thing I have read tonight!:thumbsup::D

unibody explorer spyshots

These pictures came from autoblog. The full article can be found here http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/23/spy-shots-next-gen-unibody-ford-explorer-mules-caught/

ford.mule8.kgp.ed.jpg

ford.mule1.kgp.ed.jpg

Wow...

That looks like a vehicle which lost it's purpose in life:( Not a great looking truck, not a great looking SUV, nor a great looking station wagon. Hate to say it, but it's bordering on fugly...

That is not what the Explorer will look like. It is just a test mule that is supposed to look wierd. Most of the bodywork is from current vehicles, modified to fit on the new platform.

I wish I could show you guys what it really looks like.:(

That is not what the Explorer will look like. It is just a test mule that is supposed to look wierd. Most of the bodywork is from current vehicles, modified to fit on the new platform.

I wish I could show you guys what it really looks like.:(

Please tell us it looks better than that ...thing...

its a minivan!!!

Is it on the same chassis as the Ford Edge or the Taurus wagon?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That pos looks like a lumpy version of the Ford Flex. :thumbdwn:
ny_08_ford_flex.jpg

Back